New dinosaur may have looked like a raccoon - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-30-2017, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Gun Cabinet
Default New dinosaur may have looked like a raccoon

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2017/...e-raccoon.html

Quote:
Imagine this: a large, feathered reptile with bold stripes and a colorful, raccoon-like face. Sound like something you’d probably see roaming around the world of Pokemon, right? Well it’s real, or at least it was. It’s called a Sinosauropteryx, and it lived here on Earth some 126 million years ago.

The very first Sinosauropteryx fossil was actually discovered way back in the mid 1990s, and it shook up the entire image of dinosaurs thanks to its apparent feathery coat. Now, a new research effort to learn more about the ancient species has given scientists a better understanding of exactly what it looked like, and man is it a weirdo.

Using the preserved remains from three different Sinosauropteryx fossils, paleontologists from the University of Bristol were able to figure out the colors of the dinosaur’s fancy feathers. They learned that its body was a light amber color, with lighter, off-white stripes that curled up and around the side of its streamlined head. With dark areas around its eyes and a lighter colored underbelly, it looks a whole lot like a raccoon, only in dinosaur form.

The research is interesting not just because it gives us a good idea of what the dinosaur looked like, but also because it could offer great clues as to what the environment also looked like at the time. Assuming the dinosaur’s pattern and coloring helped it blend into its surroundings, it’s not a stretch to think that the Sinosauropteryx spent its time in areas much like those of modern day animals that share similar color patterns, like gazelles.

“We knew before that its feathers were vibrantly patterned, but this study shows that it was countershaded and even striped,” Dr. Steve Brusatte of the University of Edinburgh told the New York Times. “These findings breathe life into this dinosaur.”

Bill aka the Graybeard

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

JESUS is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-30-2017, 07:02 PM

If we ever get time travel working, the coolest application will be to go back and see dinosaurs.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-30-2017, 08:05 PM

if they got time travel I would never married my first, or my second wife. and I sure as **** would not go back to the time all I had was a rock or stick to fight with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-30-2017, 08:13 PM

I would. Anything to get away from the loony left...

Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the h-ell they please. --John Wayne
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-30-2017, 11:36 PM

I find it amusing that these so called experts can tell us what color skin, or feathers these creatures had. They seem so all knowing without KNOWING squat. What they ate, how they lived?? How fast they could run, or fly, etc. I'm just not in to a lot of these experts who have never see the creatures they know all about. CHARLIE.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderman View Post
I find it amusing that these so called experts can tell us what color skin, or feathers these creatures had. They seem so all knowing without KNOWING squat. What they ate, how they lived?? How fast they could run, or fly, etc. I'm just not in to a lot of these experts who have never see the creatures they know all about. CHARLIE.
I agree! What proof do they offer to back up these claims? Color and stripes?

I don't think of myself as a staunch Republican or Democrat.
I am a Christian and a Conservative...........In that order!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 12:25 AM

Either they got a really bad artist or they've never seen a racoon.

"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife that you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." Fred Bear

Handi 243 working on full Bubbaization. American Classic Model 1377 & Ruger Air Hawk. Zebco, Shimano, Garcia & Shakespeare. Heddon, Rapala, Buck & Leatherman.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 10:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan the librarian View Post
If we ever get time travel working, the coolest application will be to go back and see dinosaurs.
You go first the Raptors would be the scariest to me. Smart and the right size for chasing you around.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nw_hunter View Post
I agree! What proof do they offer to back up these claims? Color and stripes?
I've wondered that too, and the best answer I've been able to find is that it's speculation based on the environment in which they supposedly lived.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheridan5mm View Post
Either they got a really bad artist or they've never seen a racoon.
I agree, but then it wouldn't sound as nice to say "paraplegic anteater". Methinks a lot of paleontologists are referring to bad taxidermy lately.
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page