can some jets really turn like this? - Page 3 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atllaw View Post
Once upon a time when I was a 17 year old Marine, I was at Cherry Point MCAS for some reason and saw an F4 do the same thing. Right then I decided I (a) loved the F4, and (b) wanted to be a pilot!
They were like taking care of a pickup truck. They were easy to load though. I was around when they
made the modification on the newer ones to put guns on them. After so many pilots were complaining.

Last edited by Argent11; 03-12-2019 at 11:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 11:45 AM

Another member of the 2nd Marine Air Wing stationed at Cherry Point. NARF (Naval Air Rework Facilitity)was rebuilding F4 engines at the time I was there. You could really hear it when they ran the engine test stand. One flight line rumor....they tested one engine that moved the stands concrete anchor block! 😳 We used to sit on top of the avionics vans and watch the action on the south Harrier (AV-8A) pad.

Ammunition is like firewood. The more you have, the warmer you feel.
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcw View Post
i recall seeing a jet fighter take off and go vertical completely out of sight when i was in the philippines...pretty darned impressive. i don't know what kind it was...
We were deployed to Fallon NV one time when a low on fuel SR-71 diverted and landed at Fallon. We were most impressed when the crew got out wearing what looked like astronaut pressure suits. They take a special fuel that was unavailable at Fallon so the plane sat overnight. We were allowed to get close and look at it. I remember the engines being larger then our A4M Sky Hawks and the odd corrugated under surface that leaked fuel. Anyway, about half the base watched the take off the next morning. They did a normal takeoff and banked almost out of sight, turning back to do a low pass over the runway. The pilot brought it in very low and lit both burners over the runway creating bright blue flames as long as the fuselage. He then stood it on its tail and disappeared out of sight. Everyone was cheering, shouting. USA! USA! USA!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 01:52 PM

That would be a sight to see VA. Our old F4s couldn't do near that or they would stall. I guess you zoomies
got the good stuff. After the Tonkin deployment we were flying around in modified junk. Sara went home to
VA to be retrofitted for the F14. I was shipped out to Iceland.

Last edited by Argent11; 03-12-2019 at 02:06 PM.
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanks VA, that is a great word picture to envision.

Come quickly, Lord Jesus
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 06:47 PM
dcw

Quote:
Originally Posted by va rifleman View Post
We were deployed to Fallon NV one time when a low on fuel SR-71 diverted and landed at Fallon. We were most impressed when the crew got out wearing what looked like astronaut pressure suits. They take a special fuel that was unavailable at Fallon so the plane sat overnight. We were allowed to get close and look at it. I remember the engines being larger then our A4M Sky Hawks and the odd corrugated under surface that leaked fuel. Anyway, about half the base watched the take off the next morning. They did a normal takeoff and banked almost out of sight, turning back to do a low pass over the runway. The pilot brought it in very low and lit both burners over the runway creating bright blue flames as long as the fuselage. He then stood it on its tail and disappeared out of sight. Everyone was cheering, shouting. USA! USA! USA!
i'd sure would like to have witnessed that...

lead, follow, or get out of the way!
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 08:44 PM

When we got to look at it, the one rule was NO PICTURES! We were in awe, this thing was huge, wicked streamlined and all black. We didn’t know at the time that it was supposed to leak fuel on the ground as the tanks sealed only at high temps which was also the reason for the corrugated surface under the wings that allowed expansion. We thought the Air Force or whoever had poor standards and patted ourself on the back as our birds didn’t leak fuel on the flight line! The special fuel used in a SR-71 has a lower vapor pressure for high altitudes. The sound when it thundered down the runway in full burner is difficult to describe. Sort of half badass, angry turbojet and half rocket. You could feel the over pressure in your chest. It was like a black rocket, sitting on twin blue flames when it disappeared. God bless the USA.

post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 11:08 AM

VA, that thing is almost a rocket. If it didn't need the air it might be able to do that. But then coming back would be a real problem.

Last edited by Argent11; 03-13-2019 at 11:12 AM.
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 02:50 PM

Read in a British magazine awhile back that a SR-71 had made an emergency landing at a British air port, abandoned air base that was still an emergency landing place.
Days when no one got real close.
They hauled fuel in and scheduled a take off.
A school instructor got permission to take his class to the old control tower to watch it take off.

This was foggy U.K.
It took off on a foggy day, rolling fog, here one minute not here the next.
The pilot had agreed to give the kids a thrill with a fly by.
Well they took off and made their turn, the pilot when later asked said, due to the fog, they had not known how low or close to the old terminal they were when they made their turn and hit the burners to gain altitude.
Standing outside on the observation deck, kids heard its burners kick in then less than 100 yards away a black ghost blasted by through the fog.
It was close enough the instructor and the boys felt the heat wave from the engines.
An accidental thrill of a life time.

RR

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page