National Geographic, Challenger - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Default National Geographic, Challenger

https://www.nationalgeographic.com.a...ster-3883.aspx

Where were you and what were you doing when you you first heard about this? All part of NGs space week.
Things about Neil Armstrong I didn't know , and how much he loved Karen his baby daughter. Who passed
away at 2 and a half years old. He called her muffins, there is a moon crater now named muffins.

Neil left something up there for her. Only one other man ever knew what that was.

Last edited by Argent11; 07-10-2019 at 06:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 06:45 PM

Gun Cabinet

I watched some of it last night but I also watched the moon landing way back, the first one in black and white that was something,

Deaconllb

U S Air Force Korean vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defence Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEACONLLB View Post
I watched some of it last night but I also watched the moon landing way back, the first one in black and white that was something,

Deaconllb
If you watched the series they went into much more detail. And with Neil Armstrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Tonight is Discovery. They are doing a segment on the shuttle disasters also.

Last edited by Argent11; 07-11-2019 at 10:05 AM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 10:22 PM

I had just bought a new home that was about 80% complete, which the person who started it, could not complete. I was doing some trim that morning, and had it tuned in on the radio.

I caught the report later on TV .

"Politically correct" language, is really Orwellian 'newspeak'. (Michael Cutler)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

It's sad that we lost two of them with no survivors. Hunters out in the woods of East Texas still come across tiny pieces of Columbia. I guess they always will.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent11 View Post
It's sad that we lost two of them with no survivors. Hunters out in the woods of East Texas still come across tiny pieces of Columbia. I guess they always will.
I think the video you provided was of the Launch that failed in 1986, while the one that burned up over Texas, was a much later re-entry incident !

"Politically correct" language, is really Orwellian 'newspeak'. (Michael Cutler)
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironglow View Post
I think the video you provided was of the Launch that failed in 1986, while the one that burned up over Texas, was a much later re-entry incident !

Yes, the one burning up over Texas was Columbia in 2003. NG hasn't aired a segment on that one yet that I have seen. They were still covering the Gemini and Apollo programs, and the Apollo one disaster. Then the
close calls with Apollo 13 and Apollo 8. I didn't know that Apollo 8 had experienced a close call but it did.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 01:32 PM

I was fresh out of Navy Boot Camp in Orlando Fl going to US Navy electronics "A" school.

Our instructors let us all break and stand out on the balcony to watch it launch. You could not actually see it physically but you could feel it and watch the smoke/vapor trail. We watched it launch and then a minute or two later you see the squiggly vapor trails going in all different directions in the blue sky. I thought to myself that does not look right. So after a minute or two more we ordered back to our respective classes.

Now what happened next I remember just as vividly as the squiggly con trails left by the wayward boosters. A few minutes later one of the instructors came in the room and said the space shuttle had blown up. Now this particular 1st class PO was a guy that had some real crusty old "character" and sometimes you did not know to take him serious or not. But he insisted he just watched it on CNN, ya know the James Earl Jones days "This is CNN", in the instructors lounge. He then about face and exits the room. We all just kinda of sat there mildly stunned. Not 30 minutes passes and the same instructor comes back into our class room and just simply states. "Hey what does NASA stand for? Need Another Seven Astronauts" then not missing a beat follows it with "What color were Christa McAuliffe eyes? Blue! One blew that way one one blew the other way". He just about faces and walked out of the room. No one laughed we just kinda looked at each other going what the H***???. So it took all but 30 minutes after the disaster before I was hearing the first SS disaster jokes.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Oh yes Buck. That flight STS-51-1 was monumental. It focused more on what President Reagan wanted.
Putting a teacher and the first private citizen into space. Christa was scheduled to teach several televised
lessons from orbit in space. Hundereds of schools and the students all around the country all watched her, perish.

Columbia wasn't any better, kids in Texas watching that fireball race across the sky. That was twice was twice for Texas to have to watch.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page