Roswell. - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Default Roswell.

Only one town can say this. Roswell!! Rockets, the bomb that ended WW2,and possible aliens. No one comes close to that. You all have your history, but nothing like that. She is #1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Area 51 has nothing on her. What have you done besides hiding under a curtain of secrecy. Have you done anything to end a war? She has and her people are very proud of her.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 11:27 AM

I had to chuckle about the possible aliens but Roswell is a nice town that makes hay from the alien thing. I need to tour the museum again one of these days. I always like to see the sculpture of John Chisum too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

They changed its name to The museum of the South West. It only has a wing now named Goddard.
It's Alamogordo that has a mock up of the V2. Thats a good one too O&S if you ever get the chance
to go there. It's been expanded also, it tied to get a mock up of a space shuttle but I don't think
they ever did. You ever been to the Billy the kid museum? They nice old guns on display in that place.

The Living desert state park in Carlsbad is another nice one to check out. I've never been to that
Cowboy museum over in Lea county, ill have to get out that way someday.

Last edited by Argent11; 08-11-2019 at 01:19 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 03:48 PM

I knew about the name change. They have a very nice display of stuff from the conquistadors thru pretty modern western history that I enjoy also. They have some nice old guns on display. I've been to the space thing in Alamo and that's where I attended my only visit to an I-Max theater. They were showing a 3-D movie and I hadn't been to one of those since shortly after the first ones showed up. They didn't go over very well in my town and I only saw a couple. I like the Living Desert in Carlsbad but hasn't that been turned over to the town? I'm going to haul the gg daughters over there after it cools down some. All but one are old enough to appreciate it now and the new girl wouldn't care.

The Lea County Cowboy Hall Of Fame isn't large but it has a good display and history of the more well known settlers and quite a bit of gear. Saddles, buggies, even a water wagon are there. They have a chuck wagon display with an old cowboy setting by the fire that will talk to you and is so real looking that one of my gg daughters though he was alive the first time we took them there. They also have different exhibits during the year and some are pretty interesting.

We have been to the Billy the Kid museum in Fort Sumner several times and my wife points out things she remembers from when she was a kid. The owner, if he's still alive, is a school chum of my wife's oldest brother and we talk about those years when my wife's family lived there. They talk, I listen. My wife isn't impressed by Billy at all. Her and the other school kids her age played on his tombstone. It's in a cage now after it was stolen a few times. To me it's a tombstone in a dry, dusty graveyard where a famous killer is buried.

Last edited by oldandslow; 08-11-2019 at 03:50 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Ahh, that's what they call it, a hall of fame. Thanks O&S I didn't know that. Wasn't that the place where the traveling Titanic exhibit set up? I wanted to go see that but I had to work. I heard that it was pretty good though. Did you go see it?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 07:40 PM

Yes, I did and it was very interesting. I had no idea of how massive the the power system was and what it took to keep it working. I actually found the photographs of the ship and it's power plant the most interesting part of it. They did have some parts of the ship that had been recovered on dsplay also. There was a replica staircase of the entrance set up to the main ballroom (if I remember correctly) and the staff asked us to pose in front of it and have our picture taken. We did and of course you could buy a copy and of course my wife did.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

I would have liked to see that. That's always been a fascinating, yet sad story. Are you able to post your pics?
I saw the King Tut exhibit in NYC ,it was pretty lame.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 03:24 PM

No to the pictures. I quit when photoshop pulled their money grubbing stunt and haven't ever got a new hosting site.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldandslow View Post
No to the pictures. I quit when photoshop pulled their money grubbing stunt and haven't ever got a new hosting site.
I understand that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page