We can't do anything to stop it. - Graybeard Outdoors
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Moderator
 
Argent11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 21,198
Default We can't do anything to stop it.

https://www.foxnews.com/science/tita...-deterioration

We have already done all we can. It's a very hostile environment, two submersibles have already been lost.
I wish we could bring her up but we can't. She would desintergrate trying to do that. Ain't much of her left
anyway.
Argent11 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 07:27 AM
Senior Member
 
omegahunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Daviess County, Indiana
Posts: 1,070
Default

Rust in pieces.

Still living under the curse, but one of these days I will shed this body, be clothed with an immortal one, and everything will be good.
omegahunter is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 10:12 AM
Member
 
O-mega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Clarksville, TN
Posts: 213
Default

Why would we even want to? It's been there for 100 years, and doing what is supposed to be doing, deteriorating. The time to bring up a ship is soon after it goes down, and only if there is any salvageable cargo or other items (like nuclear reactors) on it, or the ship itself, otherwise, let the sea have her.

"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
~Pericles~
O-mega is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Moderator
 
Argent11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 21,198
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-mega View Post
Why would we even want to? It's been there for 100 years, and doing what is supposed to be doing, deteriorating. The time to bring up a ship is soon after it goes down, and only if there is any salvageable cargo or other items (like nuclear reactors) on it, or the ship itself, otherwise, let the sea have her.
Even 70 years ago she was still so deep in the mud she couldn't be moved anyway. We have found just about
everything we have been able to find. And no one is going to risk another expensive robotic submersible
attempting to go inside of her again. She was jinxed in 1912 and shes still jinxed.
Argent11 is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 01:05 PM
Member
 
O-mega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Clarksville, TN
Posts: 213
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent11 View Post
Even 70 years ago she was still so deep in the mud she couldn't be moved anyway. We have found just about
everything we have been able to find. And no one is going to risk another expensive robotic submersible
attempting to go inside of her again. She was jinxed in 1912 and shes still jinxed.
Which is why I feel she should just be left alone. With today's tech, she could have been salvaged (if sunk today), but it makes no sense doing anything besides taking some pics, videos, and possibly bringing up a momento or two for historical purposes, as was already done. There have been some ships that have been brought up, maybe not from those depths, but there is not much to be gained from salvaging a ship that old, and that deep.

"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
~Pericles~
O-mega is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Moderator
 
Argent11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 21,198
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-mega View Post
Which is why I feel she should just be left alone. With today's tech, she could have been salvaged (if sunk today), but it makes no sense doing anything besides taking some pics, videos, and possibly bringing up a momento or two for historical purposes, as was already done. There have been some ships that have been brought up, maybe not from those depths, but there is not much to be gained from salvaging a ship that old, and that deep.
Agreed. But she did start her maiden voyage with a curse on her head. When they were saying not even God
himself could sink her. Looks like he proved them wrong.
Argent11 is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 01:57 PM
Member
 
O-mega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Clarksville, TN
Posts: 213
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent11 View Post
Agreed. But she did start her maiden voyage with a curse on her head. When they were saying not even God
himself could sink her. Looks like he proved them wrong.
Or, it was just carelessness and an Iceberg.

"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
~Pericles~
O-mega is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Moderator
 
Argent11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 21,198
Default

O-mega, she was all in pieces when she hit the ocean floor anyway. There was never any hope in bringing her up. It was blind British show off arrogance that killed her.
Argent11 is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 02:55 PM
Member
 
O-mega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Clarksville, TN
Posts: 213
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent11 View Post
O-mega, she was all in pieces when she hit the ocean floor anyway. There was never any hope in bringing her up. It was blind British show off arrogance that killed her.
Yea, seen the documentaries, while technically possible to bring up a ship in that condition, it probably would not be worth it.

"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
~Pericles~
O-mega is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Moderator
 
Argent11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 21,198
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-mega View Post
Yea, seen the documentaries, while technically possible to bring up a ship in that condition, it probably would not be worth it.
From what I've seen on National Geographic, there ain't much ship left to bring up. All the upper decks are collapsing on themselves.

Last edited by Argent11; 08-22-2019 at 04:12 PM.
Argent11 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome