Graybeard Outdoors banner

Would you let a robot mow your lawn?

2K views 32 replies 13 participants last post by  oldandslow 
#1 ·
https://www.foxnews.com/tech/would-you-let-a-robot-mow-your-lawn

By Steve Credo | Fox News

The Husqvarna Automower is connected to a smartphone app. (Husqvarna)

From factories to living rooms, robots are being deployed to perform a bewildering array of different tasks. But would you let one mow your lawn?

Swedish company Husqvarna believes that robotic mowing is the future.

“I believe automation and time savings will be synonymous in the future. As we move to a more data-oriented environment that relies on IOT [Internet of Things] devices and social networks, this will continue to play a vast role in our daily professional and personal lives.” Kevin Cooley, territory sales manager for Husqvarna, told Fox News.

The Husqvarna Automower is the latest evolution of a robotic lawnmower that was first developed by the company a quarter-century ago. Since 1995, it’s sold more than 1 million robotic mowers worldwide.

Even though they may remind you of a household Roomba, don’t compare them because these Automowers are vastly different and far more advanced, Husqvarna said.

“We [Husqvarna] use AI, GPS and cellular data connectivity along with other proprietary technologies to not only triangulate the best possible cut of your lawn but to minimize the risk of loss of product or danger to the environment or end-users,” Cooley stated.

The mower works inside of an electronic fence that’s created by a boundary wire connected to the charging station. Three blades cut the grass so finely that the clippings don’t need to be raked up and collected. The idea is to cut the grass early and often, rather than letting it grow too tall. This leads to healthier grass and a more perfect looking lawn, Husqvarna said.

It can operate day or night, rain or shine and is connected to a smartphone app that can control it and track it if it’s been stolen. If someone picks it up and removes it from the boundary area, the device disables itself, sounds an alarm and sends you an alert.

“Theft of a GPS equipped Automower is a non-issue as it can be tracked even when the unit is powered off. Through our software that the owner has, they can accurately locate a ‘missing’ unit within several meters.” Cooley said.

A pin code is needed to use the device and an alarm will sound if it is lifted. Husqvarna also notes the mower is useless when stolen as it can’t be matched with any other charging station. If it goes outside the geo-fence it will automatically send tracking data to your phone.

The Automower is being touted by Husqvarna as a game-changer for anyone who commutes or works odd hours, leaving very little time to keep up with their yard. But should the auto mower industry be afraid?

“These will become part of the mower industry, they are also changing the way the landscaping industry not only goes to market but how they approach both commercial and residential clients,” Cooley said. “No longer is a lawn going to miss its weekend cut for that backyard barbecue or a resort has a delay for a wedding due to foul weather preventing mowing. With the current and future workforce staffing and training challenges, the Automower will address these issues head-on by eliminating them.”

However, Phil Rigaglia, general manager of Wappingers Auto Tech & Power Equipment, told Fox News that he sees AI as a boost to the landscaping industry.

“Many landscaping companies can benefit from these robotic mowers, they can use these as commercial mowers - they install the mower on a property, let the mower do the work and collect money from the homeowner,” he said. “They lease the mower to their customer, this cuts down on men to pay for and increases profit. Automowers have improved our business and the industry in many ways.”

A number of high-profile figures, including Elon Musk, have warned about the broad impact of AI. Kai Fu Lee, a pioneer in AI, recently told “60 Minutes” that, within 15 years, 40 percent of the world’s jobs could be done by machines.

Fox News’ Christopher Carbone contributed to this article.

The Husqvarna Automower operates inside a geo-fence. (Husqvarna)

See less See more
#6 ·
Now I have mowed wet grass before, and nothing can keep it from balling up.
So I don't think it would work in the rain, unless you mowed every second day.

#25 ·
BRAVO
I am going to get old not matter how much I despise that fact but I can do something about getting old and fat.
I already do less than I should compared to five years ago, and my knee is much better than it was five years ago.
Last thing I need is another reason to get lazy.

#9 · (Edited)
In answer to the OP: You betcha'. My yard is perfectly flat and pretty smooth with no bushes or other things in the way. Rain is seldom a problem and waiting a day usually takes care of that. My only problem would be I would need a grand kid to operate the phone app. We have a robot vacuum that works off a phone app if you want to set it up. Being an analog type person I just push the "clean" button and let it work. When I'm satisfied it's finished I just push the "dock" button and it goes back to it's charging cradle and shuts off. Pooey on the smartphone. If the mower worked like this it would be great.

#15 ·
Been thinking bout gettin one of those robot vacuums to assist the wife. House is all hardwood floors.
Do they work?

#21 · (Edited)
Been thinking bout gettin one of those robot vacuums to assist the wife. House is all hardwood floors.
Do they work?

All I can say is get it. You won't regret it and it will do carpet too. We got one earlier this year. It's a Shark product and I named it Robbie after the robot in the movie, Forbidden Planet. Our floors are laminate and it does an excellent job. It's also fun to just watch the little thing go about it's business and find it's way into and of tight places. My daughter has the same model and it does the carpet in her bedrooms just fine.

I'll add this for GoodShot. It's perfectly capable of picking up loose powder and primers and it will get loose hair better than anything except a real vacuum cleaner and you don't have to clean it's brushes like you do a vacuum. Our grand daughter cuts our hair and sometimes she just drops by the house after work and cuts it so we don't have to drive into town. When she's finished we just turn Robbie loose and in just a bit there is not a hair anywhere in the floor.

#16 ·
They seem to have stood the test of time and i have seen them for gutters as well.
Dog poop has been a little tough on them from what i hear.
If you already have a pretty clean apt, they might be pretty good.
They don't seem like they would deal with primers and loose powder well.
best wishes

#20 ·
The Roomba that cleans the office floors (Bob the robot) is an early model. He has a tendency to get stuck under the radiators (the old cast iron variety). I blocked the space with a piece of scrap wood. Problem solved.
The neat thing is that, when the battery gets low, it finds its way back to its charging bed

#29 ·
What happens when the darn thing goes haywire and ends up down the block......I mean besides changing its name to "The Immigrant."

I have mature oak and maple trees which means lots of leaves and sticks. In the back 40 is where Roy and Cora take care of their business. Unless it's a big limb my rider just makes mulch out of all of it. I'm thinking that all by itself battle-bot looking thing would get one dose of a Roy Roy poop pile and run amuck!

#32 ·
oldandslow;2055970112 Why would a robot vacuum present a tripping hazard? You can hear it when it’s running an it’s certainly easy to see.[/QUOTE said:
I'm almost deaf and the house is semi-dark inside (closed curtains, I live in a mobile home park and I want some privacy).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.