I BOUGHT hog sausage yesterday... - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2020, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Location: Live - Cocoa, FL; Hunt - Mims, FL; Lk. Poincette, FL; Union, SC
Gun Cabinet
Send a message via Skype™ to land_owner
Angry I BOUGHT hog sausage yesterday...

...for the first time in 30-years. Seems the hogs in my neighborhood have all gone nocturnal and do not show their mugs in daylight, or it would be lights out (if I am there hunting). I have spent a lifetime watching. I could use some wildlife participation to refresh my resolve and provide a modicum of trigger time. My freezer is barren of hog sausage.

The first thing I did yesterday mid-morning was cook and eat one pound of that "store-bought" sausage all by itself. In the early afternoon my internal sensitivity meter (allergic reaction) went off into hives and whole body itching related thereto. Something in that "hot", which it certainly was not, sausage mix, or the fat they used, which wild hog does not produce, set me off. Two Benadryl tablets later and I was fast asleep - a side effect for me of certain antihistamines. All is good today though. No hives, but am not going to eat that brand again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2020, 02:48 PM

At your age my friend, you may find it easier hunting for meat at Walmart on one of those scooters they provide. Just sayin.....................................:tango_f ace_grin:
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2020, 03:03 PM

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!

Probably the kangaroo meat in the "hog' sausage. Makes ya wonder what they really stuff into that meat sometimes. USDA inspected by mate Wally from down under.

Benadryl does that same thing to me and makes me feel sluggish when I wake up!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2020, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by land_owner View Post
...for the first time in 30-years. Seems the hogs in my neighborhood have all gone nocturnal and do not show their mugs in daylight, or it would be lights out (if I am there hunting). I have spent a lifetime watching. I could use some wildlife participation to refresh my resolve and provide a modicum of trigger time. My freezer is barren of hog sausage.

The first thing I did yesterday mid-morning was cook and eat one pound of that "store-bought" sausage all by itself. In the early afternoon my internal sensitivity meter (allergic reaction) went off into hives and whole body itching related thereto. Something in that "hot", which it certainly was not, sausage mix, or the fat they used, which wild hog does not produce, set me off. Two Benadryl tablets later and I was fast asleep - a side effect for me of certain antihistamines. All is good today though. No hives, but am not going to eat that brand again.

That sucks!

Invest in a timer feeder and set it for dusk maybe?

Still living under the curse, but one of these days I will shed this body, be clothed with an immortal one, and everything will be good.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2020, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Gun Cabinet

I have had a 55-gal drum/whole kernel corn feeder going on this property, with its burdensome expense, for well over 15 years, rebuilt after Hurricane Irma (2019) took out the 250+ year old oak tree it was formerly suspended under and smashed old Papa Smurf (it was a blue plastic drum) to smithereens. Getting that cut up and shooting lanes reestablished was problematic for a while.

The late Summer 2019 reestablished feeder goes off 30-minutes after dawn and 1-hour before dusk - as usual. Currently, the turkeys, squirrels, and coons love it.

I will say, without complaint, I have had a SIGNIFICANT AMOUNT of trigger time on hogs since I bought the land in 1987. My guests and I have taken OVER 1500 hogs from this parcel in that time. There is a HUGE WILDLIFE PUMP in the adjacent 14,000-acre State owned Conservation Land (No Hunting) along the MASSIVE and practically undeveloped St. Johns River flood plain in my neighborhood, if 100's of square miles are considered "neighborhood".

I have not hunted so much of late since my Good Time Buddy of 30-years passed away (2017). I lost a lot of momentum and motivation in that.

Last edited by land_owner; 03-05-2020 at 01:01 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2020, 02:51 PM

Sorry to hear of the loss of your hunting buddy.

But, dang, that is right at 47 hogs a year!!! That is outstanding!

Have you noticed an up-tick in turkeys or deer since you are not seeing so many hogs?

Still living under the curse, but one of these days I will shed this body, be clothed with an immortal one, and everything will be good.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2020, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Gun Cabinet

We've pretty much had turkeys all along. They do not get much pressure from us. With an abundance of feeders and hog pipes all around it is difficult (but not impossible) to get outside of the 100 yard law from a feeder prior to the attempt to take a turkey. They're good to eat. Like the corn we offer. Are a lot of fun to watch while on stand. Will stand off a Bob Cat as a group, and it was pretty neat to watch.

Deer, meh, not so much. Nice deer on cameras. Several nice 8-point'ers. ALL are nocturnal or on the Blue Moon in daylight. The current State antler restrictions effectively eliminate ANY buck hunting at my place. Doe days are down to four (4) annually, adjacent days on the calendar, and the doe have been REAL small...so not a lot of "thrill" in that. Let 'em go so they can grow.

I don't go to South Carolina any more, where the deer hunting has historically been my main stay, so long as they have DOUBLED the cost to me to take "their" deer. They WANT the non-resident to PAY through the nose or stay home...so I can take the hint.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2020, 11:12 AM

Land_Owner, Your bucks still have their horns? I have been out looking around several times looking for sheds. No luck, but it seems I rarely find any when I am actually looking for them. Seems like the ones I find pop up when I am wood cutting, mushroom hunting or otherwise distracted.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2020, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Gun Cabinet

Naw, just talking about the ones we filmed in deer season. I don't believe they're still in horns here. Could be wrong though...the young fella that has his Trail Cameras there hasn't sent me any pictures or notification in the last two months.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-23-2020, 04:29 PM

land_owner: I'm sorry bud but if I went anywhere and purchased anyone's brand of sausage and then ate a whole pound of it, I wouldn't be worrying about any allergic reactions so much as I would about not being close enough to the john. Wooo-ee brother, a pound of anyone's sausage with all the preservatives and stuff that you do not find in wild hogs or ferals that have been out long enough to be wild, or Russians would go through me like shot through a goose, pretty quickly. Just sayin' .....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page