Interesting penetration test - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2018, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Default Interesting penetration test

I would not have believed the final result.

The contestants are, 12 gauge slug, 45-70, and 500 S&W magnum.
It's something for bear and hog hunters to think about.

HEAVEN HAS A WALL, A GATE, AND A STRICT IMMIGRATION POLICY.
HEII HAS OPEN BORDERS. taken from fox news

DEMOCRATS/ABORTIONISTS SHOULD TAKE HEED OF THE FACT THAT BABIES ARE GOD'S MOST PRECIOUS.

MURDER BABIES AND YOU "WILL" BURN FOR ETERNITY.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2018, 01:41 PM

Great Video Bug!

I would have never guessed.
Old 12-01-2018, 02:17 PM

Gun Cabinet

Im thinking that the 12 ga is gonna leave a great blood trail.

Fundamentalism: The sneaking suspicion that somewhere, someone, might be having fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2018, 07:51 PM

I think the title of the video should have been "Best paper plate round", not "Best bear round". Interesting, but doesn't tell us anything except their performance on paper plates. Flesh, blood, and bone are very different than paper so the results may not be relevant to any of the rounds' performance on game.

I'm guessing the .500 out penetrated the .45/70 because it had a lower velocity. The .45/70 was apparently one of the "hot" loadings. Wish he had given the MV of both rounds. I am skeptical that the 12 gauge Brenneke would perform that poorly on a brown or grizzly because so many people who live in big bear country choose a 12 gauge with slugs as their bear protection gun.
Old 12-01-2018, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spruce View Post
I think the title of the video should have been "Best paper plate round", not "Best bear round". Interesting, but doesn't tell us anything except their performance on paper plates. Flesh, blood, and bone are very different than paper so the results may not be relevant to any of the rounds' performance on game.

I'm guessing the .500 out penetrated the .45/70 because it had a lower velocity. The .45/70 was apparently one of the "hot" loadings. Wish he had given the MV of both rounds. I am skeptical that the 12 gauge Brenneke would perform that poorly on a brown or grizzly because so many people who live in big bear country choose a 12 gauge with slugs as their bear protection gun.
He did show the 45-70 box. I think it said lever action loading. But I don't know much about that caliber.
I was still impressed with the 500 S&W.

HEAVEN HAS A WALL, A GATE, AND A STRICT IMMIGRATION POLICY.
HEII HAS OPEN BORDERS. taken from fox news

DEMOCRATS/ABORTIONISTS SHOULD TAKE HEED OF THE FACT THAT BABIES ARE GOD'S MOST PRECIOUS.

MURDER BABIES AND YOU "WILL" BURN FOR ETERNITY.
Old 12-01-2018, 09:09 PM

Yes, I agree it was impressive. My only point was his test was an "apples to oranges" comparison.

Given the same type and weight of bullet at the same velocity the .45/70 would beat the .500 S&W everytime due to it's slightly smaller diameter.
Old 12-01-2018, 09:21 PM

A fun test, but meaningless for real world performance. A nice guy who can’t even use the correct terminology - “casing” instead of jacket, etc.

A better, but not definitive, test of loads for bear defense: https://www.fs.fed.us/pnw/pubs/pnw_gtr152.pdf

Was TX Nimrod. Before that I was AK Nimrod. Kept moving. Lots o posts in the past 25 years.
Old 12-01-2018, 10:21 PM

Gun Cabinet

The Brenneke website documents the MV at just over 1500 FPS and 3014 ft/lb.

Fundamentalism: The sneaking suspicion that somewhere, someone, might be having fun.
Old 12-02-2018, 12:17 PM

Just image having a Super Benelli, semi-auto shotgun, with five of those magnum slugs in it, and the ability to fire all 5 in about 3 seconds.

I can just hear the bear bones breaking!
Old 12-02-2018, 12:41 PM

Gun Cabinet

I think Id want a Super Vinci to absorb as much of the recoil shock as possible.
Can you imagine shooting five of those in three from a Mossberg? Thatd leave a mark! Lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in