Use a single shot - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to gene_225
Default Use a single shot

"Ef it's sport ye want, get a single-shot rifle; ef it's destruction, get a Gatling-gun." Two Little Savages, Ernest Thompson Seton, third printing, April 1911, pg 375.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 07:33 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Live - Cocoa, FL; Hunt - Mims, FL; Lk. Poincette, FL; Union, SC
Gun Cabinet
Send a message via Skype™ to land_owner

I shot a 175# hog after dark with a single shot 223 from about 15 yards in the headlights of my PU truck. I had been driving the property perimeter to pick up another dead hog I shot earlier in the afternoon.

Two hogs stepped out in front of the truck on a narrow one way perimeter road and just stood there. I got out, loaded the rifle, used the front right fender of the PU truck for support, and dropped the larger of the two hogs in the headlights.

The 2nd hog CHARGED in my direction down the perimeter road and there was insufficient time to reload, so I switched ends and high tailed it to the rear bumper's expanded metal platform that was suspended there by the trailer hitch receiver. As I jumped up on that platform Mr. Hog climbed up on the side and tried to bite me. I was just a tad faster. From that position I could see Mr. Hog in the red taillights and struggled with cloth, adrenaline, and darkness searching my front shirt pocket for another round to load the single shot rifle.

Had it been my 270 Winchester Model 70 (rather than the 223 Bull Barrel Handi-rifle), I would have dropped both hogs in front of the truck. Finally, with loaded 223 and only red tail lights, I could not see where Mr Hog had gone - then see him 25 yards south standing broadside in the woods. I could not get the crosshairs on him as there was no light, so no shot. The one that got away almost got me to boot!

...and THAT's my single shot rifle story and I am sticking to it.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 08:27 AM

Well LO you proved the wisdom of the quote from Mr. Seton's book! You chose the wrong implement.

Shooting at 15 yards in the headlights can hardly be classed as "sport". Rather, it would fall under the classification of destruction (which in the case of hogs is perfectly acceptable). So, you should have been carrying a Gatling gun and not a Handi rifle!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 09:39 AM

That is a great quote!
I love hunting with the single-shots.

Handi Rifles: 35 Whelen, 45-70 UH SS, 22-250 UV, 25-06 UH, 30-30, 7-08, 223, 308 Survivor
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to gene_225

Actually, the next paragraph (next page) includes Seton's objection to "light weight bullets," and "scatter guns for small game."
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 10:22 AM

Talking

What if there had been 6 charging hogs? Why not just jump down,pull out your pocket knife and finish the sucker off. Just a little ol pig.

I don't think of myself as a staunch Republican or Democrat.
I am a Christian and a Conservative...........In that order!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 10:35 AM

I've been hunting with a single shot since the early 80's, given any chance at all, even doubles aren't too hard,

DM

Lincolns legacy is, he freed the slaves

Obama's legacy will be, he freed the terrorist!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 10:38 AM

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!

I'd turn the truck sideways in the road and shoot him out the window! With what ever I had then lined the second one up between the headlights and poured on the coals! The old Durango is on it's last leg anyway it might as well go out in style!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Live - Cocoa, FL; Hunt - Mims, FL; Lk. Poincette, FL; Union, SC
Gun Cabinet
Send a message via Skype™ to land_owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nw_hunter View Post
Why not just jump down,pull out your pocket knife and finish the sucker off. Just a little ol pig.
You know they BITE and will CUT YOU in the instant you are trying to avoid being bitten - but I don't know that from personal experience. Perhaps with a catch dog but not one-on-one, mano a mano, head-to-head, or facing off. I have been that route with five (5) 60 pound pigs, getting them out of a chain link trap alive one at a time, when they wanted to be left alone and to get away.

They will BEAT YOU TO DEATH with their leg and body strength. That I know for a bonafide FACT - and these were only 60 pounds each. I would NOT begin to wrestle with a 130#'er. Mark pulled the "little ones" out one at a time with a noose while I grabbed its back legs and held on tight! Then he danced around trying to grab the mouths so he could tape it shut before we taped their legs and tossed them into the PU for transport to another pen for fattening and deworming. I did three of them this way and let the other two go. I was WHIPPED and wondered how a REAL FARMER would have gotten that done. City boys attempting Country work. Sheesh...joke was on me!

Experience is the result achieved after bad decisions go sideways. I STILL am not sure what I learned!?!?!?

Last edited by land_owner; 08-13-2019 at 12:41 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page