Emotion Over Logic - 2 Things - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Default Emotion Over Logic - 2 Things

One thing... This morning I went out for a drive, mostly to scout for pheasants and deer for later this fall. Forty miles from home I realized that I had forgotten my cell phone. I had sort of a mild panic attack. I hunt in an area where one may be on a dirt road 3 miles from the nearest house and one can always have vehicle trouble or do something dumb and run off the road. (I'm 70 years old.) I also had 3 suppressed rifles with me having total replacement costs of around $7,000, which could get stolen while hiking to a house to make a phone call. But all of this is very unlikely. So the reaction was a big overreaction. Another thing... I have a (secure) walk-in gun room with guns where I can see them. The ones with wood stocks all have pretty good wood except a Thompson-Center TCR-87 with very plain grain with an ugly knot on one side and a big scratch on the other side. It was that way when I bought it almost 20 years ago. It really bugged me as I am very careful with my guns which look new or almost new in spite of a lot of hunting. I bought another TCR-87 for a parts-gun with a fairly nice stock and put it on the TCR-87 and now I feel so much better when I see it. It's not logical. It will not shoot any better but to me it is such a relief to not have a gun with an ugly stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 02:46 PM

I know what you mean about the cell phone. I got along just fine for 50 years without one, but now feel half naked if I go somewhere without it. I'm not a fanatic about having it on my person 24/7, but if I go someplace I have it in the truck. Occasionally I'll just be going to town (15 miles) and after going a couple miles realize I forgot it and that "feeling" comes over me! Then I just consider that for most of my life I thought nothing of starting off on a 2000 mile trip, or going into really remote places without one (because they weren't invented yet!).

I agree on ugly guns. I've passed up a lot of good deals on guns because some idiot drilled holes in the receiver of a classic gun or scratched his drivers license number on it, etc. None of it would have affected the function, but it would have bugged me everytime I looked at it.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 11:34 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Live - Cocoa, FL; Hunt - Mims, FL; Lk. Poincette, FL; Union, SC
Gun Cabinet
Send a message via Skype™ to land_owner

I have not gotten so attached to that $200.00 "little computer" (some are over $1,500.00) that blares out sound at the most inappropriate times. I forgot to turn off the sound one Saturday while in church. Exactly, thirty minutes prior to the service "WHO LET THE DOG'S OUT" starts blaring from the Choir Loft. What a fiasco. There was snickering within the choir throughout the entire afternoon service. I could not have planned a more amusing "prank" if I had tried. The Music Director was NOT HAPPY. She is also my wife, so I got an "official" earful after church - and a warm hand in mine with a smile.

I did the unthinkable. I dropped my beloved Winchester Model 70 Classic Featherweight out of a 17' tree stand and cracked the Mfg's original stock about 4" long in front of the bolt handle. It has haunted me since. I attempted to replace the stock with an XTR - truly remarkable "furniture" - but fouled that up when I bought the short action (SA) rather than the LA it needed, sold that, but have not tried to replace it since, as life intervened. It still shoots 3/4 MOA at 200 yards and the crack has become a reminder of something I have that is unfinished in life.

Last edited by land_owner; 09-07-2019 at 11:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 09:38 AM

don't have much use for a cell phone. We have a flip phone with prepaid minutes. If I go to camp I take it or if my wife goes grocery shopping she takes it in case she wants to ask me something or I think of something else we need. Other then that it sits on the desk. I do like nice looking guns. Took me a while to think that ANY rifle with a plastic stock was pretty or God forbid an ar15. But my tastes have changed. Still like nice wood and a classic gun but a stainless syn gun looks just fine too and is probably more practical. Gun abortions? About 20 years ago I was at a time I was buying a lot of guns. Looking at the local paper I saw a 721 in 257 roberts for sale. Add said excellent condition. I drove 30 miles to look at it and it took about 10 seconds to walk out the door. Spruce will back me up on the Finlander customizers up here. This old geezer proudly showed me where he inletted a one in diameter marble compass in the but stock!!! Im guilty myself. Back 15-20 years ago I was also on a custom guy buying spree. Had three of those guns done with my name engraved on the top strap, side plate and trigger guard (one each) Now they've kind of lost favor for me and not to many people want a nice custom single action with my name on it. My wife and Dog think im pretty special but that's about it. (well my dog anyway)

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Live - Cocoa, FL; Hunt - Mims, FL; Lk. Poincette, FL; Union, SC
Gun Cabinet
Send a message via Skype™ to land_owner

lloyd...you could scratch a line through your name and inscribe "Limu Emu and Doug" [Liberty Mutual Insurance TV Ad Actor & Pet] in their place. I doubt that will increase the values or interest to third parties, but you could! Just saying.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 07:49 PM

Couple swipes with a bench grinder would take care of that engraving Lloyd. Just try not to go all the way thru the sideplate on that one!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 07:21 AM

its shallow and im sure it could be removed. but the cost of refinishing would take away to much of what Id need in $ from them. Especially the two that have case colored frames. I did actually sell one clements 45 colt with my name on it. It was stainless and bead blasted so it wouldn't take much to grind it off and blast it again.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 10:45 PM

I'ld be real careful relying on a compass inletted several inches away from the mass of ferrous metal comprising the bolt and action. Just sayin'.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in