Great CO. Elk Hunt - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Default Great CO. Elk Hunt

Likely as good an elk hunt as Iíll ever participate in. Our party filled 4 bull tags in 2 1/2 hours. By the end of day 3 we were 6/6.

For those keeping score a 4x4, a 5x5, a 5x4, 5x6, 5x3, and a cow to finish. 5 of us shoot .300 WM and 1 chooses a .338 WM. 4/6 shots were less than 50 yards, 2 were at 250 yards.

My bull fell into a blood trail left 15 minutes earlier by an unseen bull. Letís just say that led to an awkward introduction to a nice young man hot in pursuit of his wounded elk. A couple inches of snow made it easy to read the story though.

Just give me the nod and Iíll relate far more.

I need a kinder gentler machine gun

**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 09:05 PM

Let's hear all about it!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 09:10 PM

Wow, you landed right in the middle of a big herd.

All of my favorite creatures have white bottoms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-2019, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Inauspicious start what with being unassed from my horse. I admit it was my fault for not thinking. I felt the saddle was slipping on a steep uphill section. I had visions of wearing that saddle down around the horses ankles and being well abused for my ignorance. Of course it had the strap across itís chest but, I bailed, rolled a somersault or 3. With great trepidation and embarrassment I got back on and finished the trip.

Had 16 elk filter past me from a few different directions. Having found my dead bull and a couple selfies later. I decided it would be easy to kick it down the hill to level ground. One push and it traveled 50 yards into a tree
I reached down grabbed my Tikka t3 looked up and not 50 yards up hill was an honest wall hanger and cow milling about, before sauntering into the trees.

I walked down re aimed my supper and put shoe leather to him once again.
With him safely in the dressing room, the work well and truly began.

I did my second gutless breakdown and Iíve got to say Iím a fan. Not ready to say Iím good yet but itís certainly cleaner.

There is more but the wife is getting hangry.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

At some point one of our group came looking for me. He found tracks in the blood trail of my new found friends elk. Assuming it was me he followed till he found the fellow resting. ď are you Bill? Why yes I am. That means your buddy Empty is at the other end of this blood trail asking for your help.Ē

He shows up and is much welcomed help. It would seem that somewhere between unassing myself, humping up that hillside and being bent over a dead elk my back went on strike. Back spasms just arenít much fun. Anywho, as weíre wrapping up my partner casually asks if we can get back before supper? Lunch says I, were done here, the horses can get back here easy enough.

Turns out heís got an elk down that I know zero about! Off we go... till my back said a hard NO, this malarkey is over. I get on the little radio, could someone help a brother out? We are conducting a walking tour of the drainage this afternoon. Two answers of, ďI have my own problems up hereĒ, 4 elk on the ground. Unheard of in our encampment, welcome problems indeed.

Eventually someone broke free and came to help. I strapped my pack on, cinched the waist down good and tight. After hobbling 200 yards that pack and waist belt acting like a backboard, got my spine back where it needed to be. Though not healed I got myself the mile back to our camp in decent time.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Over the summer I had upgraded my scope to a Leupold VX3 3.5-10 X40 with the custom cut elevation dials. This also gave me the gumption to change loads.

I settled on 73g of Reloader-22 behind a 180g Nosler Accubond. Federal nickel case and Winchester Magnum Rifle primer.

Previously Iíd shot much the same with the exception of a Nosler Partition. Nothing had survived an encounter, but I was wanting a larger exit hole, for better blood trail if needed.

Well, I got a fast kill. Like I mentioned I dressed it gutless, so there really wasnít much postmortem. The bullet entered ribs Iím guessing the leg was forward as zero meat was damaged. Then travelled up and back and stopped under the skin behind the ribs. It might well have slid under the skin because the gut stayed inflated the whole time I dressed it.

First bullet of any type I recovered. Had a Hornet FTX from a 45/70 do much the same thing but wasnít able to find it.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 03:03 PM

Sounds like a great trip. Did you go with an outfitter to a base camp and hunt on your own from there? Did you have horses to pack the meat out or did you have to hump it out on your back?

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Dave View Post
Sounds like a great trip. Did you go with an outfitter to a base camp and hunt on your own from there? Did you have horses to pack the meat out or did you have to hump it out on your back?

Went drop camp. Horses for transportation and meat packing. Iím not going to B.S. anyone here, Iíd drag a grill to the kill site, eat till it spoiled and go home. Iím fat, near worn out from a physically abusive career, and oldish.

I tell anyone who asks, hurry up and go, donít wait. Itís pretty much one hunt a year, if you fall in love you want 50 hunts. If you donít like it you can move on.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 08:08 PM

Your right. Once and your hooked for me. I've never hunted CO but thought about trying there. Wyoming was great when I was a resident but it's tough to draw tags in the areas I know well. They also forbid non residents from hunting wilderness areas without a guide which is a hindrance. I now hunt National Forest lands above private ranch lands and pack the meat on my back in quarters with the help of a few friends. Elk move down in the evening to feed on the irrigated ranch grass then come back up to the higher forest areas in the morning. Lots of other predators chasing them too up my little valley. Wolves and Grizzlies. Love the Wolves as they chase the Elk around and keep them moving where they can be seen. Make lots of noise. Howls carry for miles. Fun to listen to in the dark early morning hours when you're hiking in to your hunting spot. Grizzlies don't make noise but usually stay clear. Stay away from the gut piles come sundown though. It's a feeding frenzy. If you leave your meat overnight it will be gone or dragged off before you return in the morning.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Dave View Post
Your right. Once and your hooked for me. I've never hunted CO but thought about trying there. Wyoming was great when I was a resident but it's tough to draw tags in the areas I know well. They also forbid non residents from hunting wilderness areas without a guide which is a hindrance. I now hunt National Forest lands above private ranch lands and pack the meat on my back in quarters with the help of a few friends. Elk move down in the evening to feed on the irrigated ranch grass then come back up to the higher forest areas in the morning. Lots of other predators chasing them too up my little valley. Wolves and Grizzlies. Love the Wolves as they chase the Elk around and keep them moving where they can be seen. Make lots of noise. Howls carry for miles. Fun to listen to in the dark early morning hours when you're hiking in to your hunting spot. Grizzlies don't make noise but usually stay clear. Stay away from the gut piles come sundown though. It's a feeding frenzy. If you leave your meat overnight it will be gone or dragged off before you return in the morning.

Iíve had bird troubles with the last 2. About a corn cans worth total. We get wolves in deer camp here, and yes the howling is kinda cool I think. Not sure how I feel about becoming a grizzly turd. Exhilarating knowing you are in there house, but disconcerting knowing they are your equal or better technology be damned.

We drove through the Medicine Bow coming home... Uffda, that place certainly has the bark left on it. Raw beauty for sure. Not sure the season but lots of hunting going on.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page