Sunglasses. - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Default Sunglasses.

What is your favorite brand? Do you buy the more expensive, or do you go the ZZ Top route lol?
I've always bought the Ray Bans, but some of these new company's are makeing some
pretty good stuff. Does anyone here know what our troops are using in the sand box?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 03:18 PM

Location: THE REPUBLIC OF TEXAS or CENTRAL FREDONIAN REPUBLIC
Gun Cabinet

been using out of a box of grey tint safety glasses
i bought from the first-aid supply lady some years back.
i'm on the last pair now and i really don't know what
i'll do when these puke.
i do know i for sure won't be paying what a lot of folks
shell out for sunglasses.
these were a bit less than $1.50 a pair buying by the
box like i did.
i've worked with some folks that thought nothing of
plunking down a c-note for sunglasses that flew off
riding down the highway or got lost in the lake or
in the gulf.

The United States doesn't have a gun control problem.
We have a people control problem.

Honor the Texas flag;I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas,
one state under God, one and indivisible.

* * * * AMERICA * * * *
LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT ! !
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger99 View Post
been using out of a box of grey tint safety glasses
i bought from the first-aid supply lady some years back.
i'm on the last pair now and i really don't know what
i'll do when these puke.
i do know i for sure won't be paying what a lot of folks
shell out for sunglasses.
these were a bit less than $1.50 a pair buying by the
box like i did.
i've worked with some folks that thought nothing of
plunking down a c-note for sunglasses that flew off
riding down the highway or got lost in the lake or
in the gulf.
I've done that myself Ranger, both of them lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

I saw a cartoon once. What,would a young dog think about its owner who was all of a sudden wearing a pair of sunglasses?
Dogs like to look at eyes." OMG they are giants, and sometimes their eyes grow big and black!!
It's only sunglasses doggie lol.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent11 View Post
What is your favorite brand? Do you buy the more expensive, or do you go the ZZ Top route lol?
I've always bought the Ray Bans, but some of these new company's are makeing some
pretty good stuff. Does anyone here know what our troops are using in the sand box?
The currently issued brand of glasses for the regular Army are ESS, though they have issued Oakley and Wiley-X as well. In our unit, we curently issue Oakley as the Special Operations Eye Protection (SOEP) glasses which come with smoke, clear and laser protection lenses. I think they picked Oakley because they, Oakley, also provides corrective lenses too. The model of frames change but it's mostly a version of the M-Frame, though vendors always try and change it to get more sales (old lenses won't work with new frames). I own Oakleys, ESS, Wiley-X and even have a set of Gargoyles from back in the 90s. My favorite range glasses are the current M-frames which feature flat ear pieces so they will fit well under your hearing protection. The only thing I have not tested is to see if they are also polarized for fishing (glare), but since these are for flight I would think so.

"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
~Pericles~
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 04:16 PM

Maybe 25 years ago, a pawn shop was carrying Protective Optics (now Wiley X) safety glasses. They were about $20 a pair and my brother and I started wearing them. Then for some reason, they got popular and their prices jumped to $70-80 a pair. I had to drop them then. I then discovered less expensive safety glasses that were typically made for industry.

Had been buying the nice looking safety glasses for years. Could get a box of 10 for less than $3 each. Loose them or scratch them, throw away and grab another. Always had both shaded and clear depending on the situation. Just started needing reading glasses, sort of, not real bad yet. So I found some safety glasses with readers on the bottom that I like. Got both tinted and clear. Keep a pair of clear ones on the reloading bench inside and the work bench in the shop. They are a big more expensive, seems like they were almost $6 a pair for the tinted and a bit cheaper for the clear.

They have some safety glasses that look an awful like the expensive glasses such as Oakleys at 1/12 the price.

Rosewood

Go Donald Go!!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-mega View Post
The currently issued brand of glasses for the regular Army are ESS, though they have issued Oakley and Wiley-X as well. In our unit, we curently issue Oakley as the Special Operations Eye Protection (SOEP) glasses which come with smoke, clear and laser protection lenses. I think they picked Oakley because they, Oakley, also provides corrective lenses too. The model of frames change but it's mostly a version of the M-Frame, though vendors always try and change it to get more sales (old lenses won't work with new frames). I own Oakleys, ESS, Wiley-X and even have a set of Gargoyles from back in the 90s. My favorite range glasses are the current M-frames which feature flat ear pieces so they will fit well under your hearing protection. The only thing I have not tested is to see if they are also polarized for fishing (glare), but since these are for flight I would think so.
Ahhh! There you go, I still have a pair of Wiley-X from when I used to ride. They fit like a pair of goggles.
Gargoyles and Oakley? I didn't know they made those anymore.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 04:39 PM

Gun Cabinet

Mine are provided through the VA and are the same prescription as my regular glasses and I can choose the shade of tint and frames that I wont but I have to pay for them but only 25 dollars but the regular glasses are free.

Deaconllb

U S Air Force Korean vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defence Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEACONLLB View Post
Mine are provided through the VA and are the same prescription as my regular glasses and I can choose the shade of tint and frames that I wont but I have to pay for them but only 25 dollars but the regular glasses are free.

Deaconllb
Mine are a for an astigmatism. VA never could seem to get that right.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 09:47 PM

I don't wear prescription sunglasses but I have had really good luck with Jackson-Nemesis safety glasses and have been using them for years. They hold up well and don't cost an arm and a leg.

wtxbadger

wtxbadger

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page