Graybeard Outdoors banner

Was the opioids thing a bad idea?

6K views 118 replies 16 participants last post by  Argent11 
#1 ·
What about those people who really need it, even for a short time, and aren't junkies. Chronic pain can effect the entire body, even kill you, or prevent healing. So, the effected shovel down aspirin and ibuprofen at the same time.Which causes other adverse health conditions. I think it was a bad idea and poorly thought out.

#40 ·
NW- hunter. Tramadol, I can't really comment about any long term use I've only taken two. But yes it did work, without out all the funky side effects the plant opioids did to me when I had to take them years ago.
Good shot, opioid constipation. Is the flip side of antibiotics diarrhea lol.

I don't think junkies want Tramadol anyway, they seem want something much stronger than that.

#47 ·
Poor Lloyd, anyway.........

I was on hydro for about 9 months, went to ibuprofen for about a year, which from what i hear now
we shouldn't ever take at all, evermore, forever, at least that is what it sounded like from the last medical person I spoke to.
Interesting how some people have a very negative experience and it can act on they're system so negatively.
Mark 16 is where we are all instructed to be obedient.

#51 ·
The heart is a muscle so we must not over due the muscle relaxers that is a muscle that we can't spare. You're going to need to be a good patient if you are putting your faith there. wish you had a hot tub, that could do miracles too!
best wishes

#52 ·
I had a kidney stone in 2016 (my second, the previous one was 20 years before) and the normal pain meds just weren't hacking it. My doctor at the time (since retired) was a PEZ dispenser of pills. I think I could have gotten anything I asked for, and I think it's guys like him that contribute to the problem.
Still, it came in really handy to get Oxy fast. But even then, my wife had to tell me it was Ok to take them slightly overlapping (the doc said I could take two but I'd only take one). I heard so many horror stories about them, but I just wanted to not feel the pain. The moment the doctor thought it'd passed into the bladder, I quit taking them. I doubt I took a dozen total, over 3-4 days. I was just so happy it was passed, and I've never liked the feeling of being 'buzzed,' and I'm really not much of a drinker.
I guess there's such a thing as an anti-alcoholic, who would go out of their to way to avoid being buzzed if possible? If so, that's me. I've never enjoyed that feeling.
All that said, I didn't want to risk getting my body used to something, as a guy I knew got addicted to oxy after surgery and he said he wouldn't have thought he would get addicted, so I didn't want to take chances, myself, just in case.

#59 ·
I have passed a bunch of kidney stones and had three that I couldn't pass. It got bad enough one time for about 8 hours straight that it was either morphine or a gun with one bullet and I am opposed to shooting myself so it was the morphine. Instant relief....I was out of gas and something had to give! So yes there is a place for opiates. A hang nail ain't one of them:tango_face_grin:!

#54 ·
One of my cousins Cynthia is on Oxy. She told me that just one of those little blue pills could easily kill
someone like me. I forgot what she said the milligrams in them were. But I guess they were some really
potent stuff. I suppose they increase the dose as you delvelop a tolerance to them.

#55 ·
must be strong , i've never seen it in a blue pill form, but then, tomorrow I might get something different as I go for a new tooth to be ratcheted into my jaw.
Just read where there is a new approved opioid, starts with a "d", "duxia" or something like that.
best wishes

#56 ·
The ones she had were blue pills, about the size of an ibuprofen. Tramadol looks like an aspirin, 50 mg.
Maybe her pills were blue so you don't mistake it for something else, if it's that strong and can kill you.

Good shot, you it sound like your getting a new spark plug lol.

#71 ·
Ya its a bit ridiculous. My wife had a tooth that broke off exposing the nerve. She is very pain torrent but it was really killing her and we couldn't get an appointment atthe oral surgeon for a few days. She asked our family dentist if he could prescribe something for the pain. He told her that in the past that would have been the first thing he would have done due to the fact that there wasn't much else he could do for her but "with the opiate epidemic we're not supposed to prescribe any pian meds". What a bunch of bs. If someone is in legitimate pain a medical professional should be able to prescribe something. It ticks me off that junkies on the street seem to be able to get these pills easily enough to maintain a habit but my wife had to sit in pain.

#79 ·
Maybe it's only the oral surgeons who can prescribe it now, and a dentist can't. I know the CNPs could once prescribe Norco but I don't know if that's changed or not. I'll have to ask my big sister in NY about that.
Gosh, this all means that there are a lot of good and responsible people who are suffering out there.

#72 ·
You can bet your azz, he would have taken a strong pain (Opiate) pill if he was the one suffering.
As other people in the know have stated........Prescription pain killers are not the problem. The problem is the illegal drugs that mainly come across our borders, and our gracious Government leaders do nothing to stop.

#73 ·
Yes, and also some Parkinson's patients now have to jump through hoops to get pain relief, have to go for pee tests when it is very unsafe and demanding to leave the house and drive anywhere.

We seem to like to punish the law abiding and let the law breakers run a muck.
Better keep a stock of pain killing stuff on hand, kratom, wild lettuce extract, whiskey, etc.

#75 ·
I don't think so either, yet He did turn water to wine and we are encouraged to not be drunk, a little medicinal libation shouldn't be a no-no.
He came to bring us liberty, and that is not a license to sin.
Many of those who claim Christ today are more like the scribes and pharisees of Jesus day, way too rigid in do's and don'ts and willing to leave people in bondage to sickness and pain over legalistic matters.
Jesus probably never had Twinkie either.

#76 ·
My wife is on Vicodin and has been for several years. She has chronic back and joint pain. She takes her meds as prescribed and never had a problem. Problems with opioids and the addiction/deaths is the abuse of the medication. We have a Narcan inhaler in our home just in case, had it for a year and never opened the box. My wife's doctor asks questions and listens to the answer, that is why I drive my wife 30 miles to visit this doctor. Wife's doctor is very patient centered and that is why I make the drive, she cares and has been a God send for my wife, she is not pain free, but is comfortable. All I can say is Praise The Lord for those who care for the ones we love and us too. Y'all take cre, John.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.