Graybeard Outdoors banner

Soma

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Argent11 
#1 ·
Carisoprodol. This is some good stuff for pain relief. Unfortunately they tell you that it can be addictive, so I don't take it very much. I only use it if I get a flare up which is becomeing a rare event now anyway.
At least I can get out and mow the yard again without regretting it later.

The good news was that my sciatica turned out to be only acute and not chronic. Like was first thought, it still
hurt like h**!.

#2 ·
I didn't know that in some states this is illegal to prescribe. My pharmacist has been one for 40 years and he said it was the most ridiculous ruling he has ever seen. Thank goodness NM isn't one of them. Sure some people are allergic to certain drugs, but that was only a handful of people reporteding side effects with
Soma.

I think big pharma was behind this so they could sell more expensive substitutes. Soma is only ten cents
a dose. Where people on the substitutes they say don't work is as high as fifty cents a dose.

#3 ·
After breaking my L5 lumbar over 30 years ago, Soma compound was among the drugs I was perscribed. I was warned there was a danger of further injuring myself since the Soma desensitized the spinal cord so pain was less obvious. The "compound" part was the addition of codiene to the caprisodol muscle relaxant.

It was a tremendous help in my recovery, and I never had the slightest problem with addiction, as Argent said, or reinjuring myself either.

I'm with you Argent, this is wonderful stuff when used with discretion, and not abused. I did notice the room tended to move around a bit the first few times until I got used to it. Not any big problem. It helps.

#4 · (Edited)
Old Man so yours was a spinal bone issue, mine was muscle. They were tensing up for some reason and pressing the nerve into my spine. Man hurt it would take me to the floor. They gave me opioids which
sucked, then they gave me Soma. Almost immediate relief and the muscles began to calm down over a
few days, with very little pain.

#6 ·

I find it strange that any pharma company would name their drug SOMA ! In 1932 Aldous Huxley wrote a Sci-Fi novel about a future society that was hooked on government produced drug called SOMA.

Thanks to SOMA, the world turned into some kind of crossbreed of Utopia, communism and drug fog. That novel was "Brave New World"...

Here is a summary.. https://www.britannica.com/topic/Brave-New-World

#8 · (Edited)
IG, thats only the brand name. Some call it Cariso for short. Like the old man said it only effects you mentally for a couple of days. And that isn't much. Anyone down on the floor with that kind of debilitating pain.
Is sure to want lt.

All I know from personal experiences is it works. Where opioids didn't, they never have with me just
some people are like that. All they do is make me barf them up. And injected, i still barf.
Opiate tolerant is what they called it on my medical card.

#9 ·
I wasn't putting down anybody who needs the pain killing effect, since I can't fault anybody for wanting to escape debilitating pain...

I was just remarking that I am surprised to find a pharma company which is willing to use the name "SOMA", since from 1932 the name has carried such negative connotations..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.