Shingles vaccine - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddogg View Post
Two vaccines for shingles Zostavax (2006) and Shingrix (2017) which is given in 2 doses 6 months apart. It was in short supply it might be better now.

Shingrix is more than 90% effective.
I got the latest version from the local pharmacist, supposedly 97% effective. It was something a friend highly recommended after he had it.

The 2nd shot needs to be taken within 2 to 6 months after the first. I got #2 about 3 months after, no side effects other than a sore arm where to needle was used the second time.

The pharmacist told me his MIL had it and it destroyed some nerve endings in places, so even though the shingles are gone she still has the effects from it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 02:44 PM

I have dodged it , but BIL had it. HIGHLY CONTAGIOUS STUFF , 83 year old mother came down with it a few days later .
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 02:57 PM

I just finished the second of the Shindrix shots last week. Both times I had some of the side effects; mainly chills, fever, and joint aches. Better than the alternative.

Phil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-18-2019, 10:52 AM

Had two different friends get shingles. Bad deal for them. I got my shots last summer. No side affects here.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-18-2019, 12:57 PM

I have been told that I need to get the vaccine since I went through a case of the shingles at this time last year. Scalp and forehead; itching started a day or two before deer season opened and the forehead eruption was opening day! Dr said to take massive doses of Lysine and my case was gone in a week with no pain whatsoever. Very blessed to get away so easily!

Still living under the curse, but one of these days I will shed this body, be clothed with an immortal one, and everything will be good.
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-18-2019, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegahunter View Post
I have been told that I need to get the vaccine since I went through a case of the shingles at this time last year. Scalp and forehead; itching started a day or two before deer season opened and the forehead eruption was opening day! Dr said to take massive doses of Lysine and my case was gone in a week with no pain whatsoever. Very blessed to get away so easily!
Thank goodness we are highly isolated out here from the general public. We would be some of the very
last ones to become a zombie.

Last edited by Argent11; 11-18-2019 at 02:39 PM.
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-18-2019, 02:52 PM

kind of a blessing to be in the boonies!

Come quickly, Lord Jesus
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-18-2019, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodshot View Post
kind of a blessing to be in the boonies!
And the desert around us is worse than a barbed wire fence.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 08:07 AM

I got the single dose one, no side effects . I got chicken pox in my 30ís and I didnít want to chance shingles, so got the shot when I turned 60. The hype about vaccines is the reason why diseases like chicken pox and polio are making a comeback. Side effects happen but are rare and worth getting protected.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-19-2019, 08:25 AM

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!

I can't honestly say that I know anyone who has had the shingles. Is it airborne? I mean if it's highly contagious? It sure sounds bad. I am going to have to ask around as I have had thousands of co-workers over the years and have never heard of anyone missing a days work with the shingles. What I know is that it is somehow related to chickenpox and I don't know anyone under 60 around here who has ever had chicken pox. I never had chicken pox, measles, mumps or any of that stuff and I am over 60.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page