Medicare wellness exam - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-10-2020, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Default Medicare wellness exam

Be careful with this, it isn't about your wellness. Its about if you should be warehoused in a home.
Saveing them money. You walk ok, you stand ok, nothing very bad. Don't matter your old and costing
them Money. If your single, liveing alone, your fooked.

Saw it happen to my neighbor. No care, unless you do what they say.

Last edited by Argent11; 03-10-2020 at 09:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-13-2020, 08:14 AM

Argent, that's a pretty strong statement to make about the health care system in general and about the Medicare Program. Ii have to tell you that in the 33 years I surveyed hospitals, nursing homes and psychiatric hospitals under the Medicare Program I never encountered such a philosophy or practice. I surveyed and evaluated patients for the health care and services they required. I interviewed them personally, evaluated their physical and emotional (mental) needs and determined if the setting they were in, a hospital, nursing home or psychiatric hospital was meeting their needs as prescribed and if not, then we determined which setting or level of care was necessary for the patient to best benefit from treatment. And I have to tell you again that I have never heard of forcing people into a nursing home just because they were single and living alone.

This sounds a awful lot like someone not in the know interpreting Medicare Program guidelines or getting the wrong information from a second hand source, because there is absolutely no way the Medicare Program can or will save money by accepting people into institutional care (not just in older state run facilities or county facilities) when they do not need institutional or inpatient care and can remain at home with visiting nurses and other more mobile caregivers, if they need some degree of care at all. Medicare is strongly oriented to providing care, and appropriate care where possible in the home (individual patient's home, not a nursing home if it is not needed). There is this thing in health care facilities called the Utilization Review Program. It is hated by most all caregivers because it takes the warehousing concept out of inpatient health care and allows patients to move through the health care continuum until they can be discharged. It often takes the 'motherly-ness' out of nursing care and the concept that 'we can take care of you forever'. This is the one Medicare/Medicaid program that is designed as a cost effective guideline for treatment and it works, only that it works in the opposite way you mentioned.

If you are in need of long term care, under doctor's orders following a thorough examination, not just someone's impression that you're old and dotty, then you can either follow the doctor's orders and be admitted to a hospital or long term care/nursing facility for treatment, or not. If you disagree and feel you are capable of providing for yourself at home without serious or debilitating injury or illness to yourself I seriously doubt some doctor is going to try to force you into a nursing home as this is the sort of thing that will bring the federal Medicare Program, the State Medicaid Program and the Joint Commission on the Accreditation of Health Care facilities so far up your wazoo that you won't be able to breathe.

I have closed nursing homes because they admitted people who did not need the level of care they provided and because they were bilking Medicare for funding while not providing the necessary care to their patients who needed it while simply drugging others into compliance. I have evaluated patients in nursing homes who needed immediate transfer to hospitals for inpatient and urgent care, I have evaluated patients in hospitals who needed nursing home care and I have evaluated patients in psychiatric hospitals who did not need any care and treatment at all and were discharged back home.

What you are describing is the future of the 'Medicare For All' Program espoused by Ms. Almost Occasionally Cortexed and her band of progressives and what their program gets you is institutional care at whatever your ripe old age should be according to some progressive guidelines and social work determinations based on housing availability. Let's not forget that if they convince you to go into a home, probably because you are definitely dumb enough to believe them, the State Medicaid Program will eventually take your home, retirement and social security, leaving you a modest amount of pocket cash, and then sell your home to someone else ....and all this to save money by tricking you into a institutional setting.

Really Argent, what have you been smoking this morning?????
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-13-2020, 08:51 AM
Dee

My grandmother lived alone from her late 60s to almost 90, all the while on Medicare.
My mother, and her brothers decided it was time for a nursing home due to her dementia growing worse.
My uncle lived alone for over a decade while on Medicare, when his little brother came to the realization that home care was no longer enough. He was 90.
My mother was living alone while on Medicare, until my wife, and I decided she could no longer do so due to health, and the onset of Alzheimers. She was 82 at the time.
My wife, and I, have been on Medicare for several years now, along with supplemental insurance.

We also take a yearly wellness exam.

"REPUBLIC OF TEXAS"!
To The Politician: if your not right with God, your not right for this country.
Phil Robertson, Duck Dynasty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-13-2020, 09:16 AM

I agree with you Argent! I refuse that "wellness exam" every time the call comes in. I won't allow anyone in my house that I didn't want to invite in the first place. While I haven't personally heard of anyone being forced into a home by the system, I am aware that if you enter a home without insurance to pay for it, all your assets must be gone before your states' Medicaid will pay for your care. That is a fact we were made aware of when we were no longer able to give my wife's mother proper care because of alzhiemers at 92 yrs old.

Just tossing this in. Our information came from what turned out to be a VERY knowledgable Senior Law Firm here in Pa, and I would strongly recommend anyone in a similar situation retaining this type of legal help. This lawyer saved us untold grief during the final few years of the MIL's life.

Last edited by The Old Man; 03-13-2020 at 09:23 AM.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-13-2020, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

I just don't trust the government to do the right thing. I worked in a retirement home as the maintenance
man for about a month, just to stay busy in my retirement years. It was the worse job I ever had.
That place was nothing but the evil castle of death and suffering.

It didn't take me long to see why the other maintenance man just walked out.

Last edited by Argent11; 03-13-2020 at 12:49 PM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-13-2020, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

I'm sure some of those homes are good, but that place sure wasn't one.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-13-2020, 05:42 PM
Dee

The Medicare "Wellness Exam" is a paid for annual exam to better personalize, and prevent disease, and monitor your health needs.
It has nothing to do with control over your life. It is an annual complete medical examination. Nuthin more.

"REPUBLIC OF TEXAS"!
To The Politician: if your not right with God, your not right for this country.
Phil Robertson, Duck Dynasty
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-14-2020, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Don't trust em.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
The Medicare "Wellness Exam" is a paid for annual exam to better personalize, and prevent disease, and monitor your health needs.
It has nothing to do with control over your life. It is an annual complete medical examination. Nuthin more.

Dee is right about this. The wife and I have been getting them since Medicare started offering them. They are simply a checkup for your health to spot any issues that needs to be checked out farther. Hearing, eyesight, blood pressure, etc. There is no cost to you. If a problem is found that requires a doctor's attention an appointment will be set up and then regular Medicare charges apply. No one comes to your home, no questions about firearms are asked, it's all about your general health. Basically it's available to find problems and then recommend treatment or not. No one is going to drag you off and imprison you in a nursing home against your will.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-16-2020, 09:52 AM

I have a wellness exam (physical) every year. Medicare pays for it. Period. Never heard of anyone coming to your house. Haven't heard of a Dr. making house calls for 40 years. Are we talking about two different things or is someone making things up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page