Graybeard Outdoors banner

prostate

8K views 41 replies 23 participants last post by  30calflash 
#1 ·
What are successful treatments for enlarged prostate? Ones that really work.

#3 ·
I take daily a Tamsulosin pill; 0.4 mg. Allows the prostate to relax so that urine may flow. Beware what they cost, though. They are about $2.25 each at my local Walgreens. I have them sent from a pharmacy in my hometown in rural Virginia, where they go for about thirty cents apiece. I asked my local pharmacy why the massive difference in price. I was told "that is the price at which our distributor gets them to us." I told them to find another distributor...

#4 ·
I have been taking that, my VA doctor sends me a month supply for 8.00 my copay however I have two of the side affects which I do not care for, runny nose and also makes me dizzie I have found that AZO with goless works pretty good it is over the counter and there are some natural things that I am going to give a try also.

Deaconllb

#7 ·
Terazosin and avodart are part of my daily dosage of pills. Terazosin has the added benefit of lowering blood pressure. However, like an old muscle car cannot pass a gas station this old body cannot pass a bathroom. No trouble starting to make water just have to do it more often. Old age Bah Humbug.

#10 ·
I take a Tamsulosin pill; 0.4 mg daily as well, have for about 6 yrs or more. It works well for me but one of the side effects I am dealing with affects the eyes (I have astigmatism, early glaucoma, cataracts/floaters) and my eye doctor wants to do the lens replacement on me ASAP as if I wait too long then this medicine will put my eyes in a condition where the eye surgery will not be as effective as it normally is.

Doctors and google fu recommend to avoid chocolate, coffee, tea, (go de-caf), etc., to help. I don't drink tea anymore, but have to have my coffee in the morning, and don't eat much chocolate so.

I use an prescription app called GoodRx and it will search your local pharmacies for the best price, etc. Most pharmacies take this app, a 90 day supply of Tamsulosin is around $20 for me with no insurance at this time for me, which is another reason for delaying the eye surgery. I turn 65 in late August, so this fall I will probably have the eye surgeries done.

#21 ·
I take a Tamsulosin pill; 0.4 mg daily as well, have for about 6 yrs or more. It works well for me but one of the side effects I am dealing with affects the eyes (I have astigmatism, early glaucoma, cataracts/floaters) and my eye doctor wants to do the lens replacement on me ASAP as if I wait too long then this medicine will put my eyes in a condition where the eye surgery will not be as effective as it normally is.
I have cataracts beginning to cloud my vision, too. Was told I need new lenses in my eyes. I am short the $7,000 per eye to do it...

#11 ·
I have BPH, I'm taking finasteride 5mg which shrinks the prostate to a point. I saw results within a few weeks and haven't seen any side effects, It has definitely helped but after a while I didn't see any more improvement. My urologist wants me to stay on it for now.

I tried Tamusulosin and it didn't help at all.

I've also tried the natural stuff like Saw Palmetto, Beta Sistosterol and Pygeum. Saw Palmetto didn't help me any and neither did Beta Sistosterol. Pygeum actually does help me though, I get noticeably better urine flow with pygeum. A big enough difference that I keep taking it. I buy it from Amazon. Another benefit of pygeum is you'll shoot bigger loads LOL. When I was researching it I realized some people actually take it just for that purpose. I intentionally didn't say anything to my girlfriend to see if she'd notice and after a week of taking it the results were in. She asked what the heck was going on with me down there LOL so I had to fess up.

#14 ·
AZO is a over the counter thing for the urinary track. I had been having some problem with unitary track infection and my VA doctor put me on a antibiotic for a week or so and it really helped but several weeks later I started to notice a slight recurring so I called my doctor to renew my meds and the nurse called me and said that I would need to come in and be checked when this Covid-19 was over but said go to Walmart and get you some AZO with bladder control, drink lots of cranberry juice and water and that will take care of it. I googled it and found out what it was for. The first box of pills that I got was just AZO and it was loaded I think with cranberry powder as it turned the my pee blood red, read the side affects and said this was natural but would or could stain your clothes. Then I saw a ad on tv of all things for AZO with bladder control so I came back to the PC and looked it up and sure enough they have it with bladder control and goless I was having a slight problem with dripping and could not pass the restroom with out a stop. The dripping has stopped but the urge to go is only a little better, **** to get old and things wear out.
I have also did some reading on prostrate health and all that is involved and pumpkin seed oil extract or the seeds themselves seem to help some and there were also several other things like saw palmetto. I do remember back in the late sixties during the hippie movement that pumpkin seeds were really promoted for sexual health. Yes I know and understand that Prostrate cancer cannot be healed with over the counter meds. removal or other treatments have to be used. Prostrates increase in size over the years late in life for a number of reasons one of which is slowing down on sexual relations but not the only reason. There are many wild claims in advertising and one has to be carful and do the research what works for one does not work for all but I do think that a doctor or nurse would not recommend taking something if it was not proven to work in some This prostate med my doctor gave me works a little but not great. Each person is different what works for you might not work for me. On this sight we strive to help each other with our problems be it cars trucks food guns or medical problems, we must look at the information and make up our own minds. Even going to a doctor is not a guarantee that they can fix the problem that is why a doctor say he has a practice, they are practicing physicians and they practice on us but they are way better now than they were 75 years ago and they can in some cases work wonders

Deaconllb

#16 ·
I'm considering that treatment at some point.

#17 ·
#18 ·
It's really something the way us older guys change the subject matter we talk about as we get old. Sad but true. I was trying Beta Sito Sterol for a while. looked to be working for a short time, but back where I was now.:tango_face_crying:

#19 · (Edited)
Life isn’t kind when you get old. Men need help because they can’t pee and women have the opposite problem and leak. Saw palmetto works when you first star having problems but eventually it isn’t enough. Flowmax (tamsulosin) is much more effective and with my drug plan is dirt cheap. In fact it is cheaper than saw palmetto.

#20 · (Edited)
Prostate. Alas. I was diagnosed with cancer three months ago. I get a shot of Lupron every 90 days (2 so far) and take a Bicalutamide pill every day. Feel no ill effects. Evidently some radiation therapy will be part of the mix.
Pete

#22 ·
I had the cataract surgery on both eyes several years ago.
I was a little uncomfortable about them removing my own lenses and replacing them with chrystal lenses, but I can once again see clearly.

#23 ·
Increased sex is helpful. Ejaculation helps the prostate.

Another good pill is Saw Palmetto as sold by a number of sources. I buy mine from Puritan's Pride. I tried Stinging Nettle Root Extract but results were less than ideal. I started have prostate problems in my early 40's. Now I'm 63 and problem free!

TR

#37 ·
When I had my cataracts done, the surgeon came by before the operation and said you are on Flowmax aren’t you. I said yes and how did you know. He said my eyes were not dilating properly. No problem except he could not use the laser and would have to do the surgery the old fashion way. He had done 30,000 that way, so not to worry. Saved $250 per eye.

#38 ·
I suppose that I am documenting this whole radiation procedure in case anyone wants to know what happens.
I was wrong about the actual radiation therapy beginning the other day. As it turns out, they are real careful about how they administer the radiation dose.
I had three gold chips inserted by my urologist (as Ironglow surmised). That was left to heal for a week. My next trip was only intake and a short physical by the Dr in charge of radiology. Yesterday i went back and was fitted for a kind of cradle that will hold my hips in place when the rad dose is administered. I was put into a CAT scan machine while the techs did that. They also used to machine to zero in on the gold markers. They put Three small tattooed “aiming points” on My hips and lower abdomen. They they sent me on my way. Next week will be a dry run on the actual machine so as to verify the accuracy of their settings. No radiation. That begins the week after....every day for six weeks (or so).
We will see.
Pete

#42 ·
Prayer inbound Pete.

I've had it for a short time, 2 yrs, Tamsulosin 1 per day seems to work most of the time. Every now and then it's slow going, but long as it's going it's ok. Twice since the diagnosis and ER visit I've had to deal with it myself. Not a big thing after the first time and you're not waiting for 8 hrs in a healthcare facility to get drained.

I saw my doc 2 days ago and besides the suggestions on natural supplements your diet and habits can make a difference. Besides no caffeine it's good to throttle back on cocktails. A couple beers once in a while is ok but no strong stuff. Also if you have constipation regularly that can affect it adversely, change in diet will fix that.

He also gave me a food guide specific to the issue, has recipes also. L.ooking into utilizing that also

Lycopene in your foods is the best thing you can take in to help. Colorful veggies but especially tomatoes is known to help. And tomatoes cooked, like a sauce or even sun dried tomatoes have more lycopene than raw.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.