prostate - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-17-2020, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Default prostate

What are successful treatments for enlarged prostate? Ones that really work.

Good Hunting--Woodsrunner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-17-2020, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator

Gun Cabinet

Prostatectomy worked for me, but cancer was the motive!

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" - Mark Twain
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-17-2020, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsrunner View Post
What are successful treatments for enlarged prostate? Ones that really work.
I take daily a Tamsulosin pill; 0.4 mg. Allows the prostate to relax so that urine may flow. Beware what they cost, though. They are about $2.25 each at my local Walgreens. I have them sent from a pharmacy in my hometown in rural Virginia, where they go for about thirty cents apiece. I asked my local pharmacy why the massive difference in price. I was told "that is the price at which our distributor gets them to us." I told them to find another distributor...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-17-2020, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvschütze View Post
I take daily a Tamsulosin pill; 0.4 mg. Allows the prostate to relax so that urine may flow. Beware what they cost, though. They are about $2.25 each at my local Walgreens. I have them sent from a pharmacy in my hometown in rural Virginia, where they go for about thirty cents apiece. I asked my local pharmacy why the massive difference in price. I was told "that is the price at which our distributor gets them to us." I told them to find another distributor...
I have been taking that, my VA doctor sends me a month supply for 8.00 my copay however I have two of the side affects which I do not care for, runny nose and also makes me dizzie I have found that AZO with goless works pretty good it is over the counter and there are some natural things that I am going to give a try also.

Deaconllb

U S Air Force Korean vet. NRA Member
Fourth fighter wing Kimpo Korea 1952 Fourth but first, the mig killers.
533rd material ,air defence Oxnard AFB 1953-1955
Pastor of the CBCG-Fellowship group Tulsa Oklahoma.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-17-2020, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEACONLLB View Post
I have been taking that, my VA doctor sends me a month supply for 8.00 my copay however I have two of the side affects which I do not care for, runny nose and also makes me dizzie I have found that AZO with goless works pretty good it is over the counter and there are some natural things that I am going to give a try also.

Deaconllb
Big pharma; a group of gougers who apparently have no shame. Talking to a veternarian friend years ago,..he explained about that Anthrax scare a few years ago, when people, particularly in Washington DC..were receiving letters with "white powder" in them.

The government decided to buy the preventive pills from the supplier, pills that normally cost $20 apiece. The supplier offered to sell at cost!
The pills came through at 5 cents apiece..

The prostrate..I will be facing a decision soon..I had the roto-rooter job, which helped some. Yes, I have cancer..it is slow growing..but still growing.
I go back to see my oncologist toward the end of June. If the numbers are up, it will be either radiation or removal.

Of course, there is this corona virus thing to consider also...it could cause some snags..

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.. (Gen George S. Patton)
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-17-2020, 08:22 PM
dcw

I've been on terazosin from my dr prescription for a while. my recent CT showed prostrate swollen but OK other than that

lead, follow, or get out of the way!
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-17-2020, 08:55 PM

Terazosin and avodart are part of my daily dosage of pills. Terazosin has the added benefit of lowering blood pressure. However, like an old muscle car cannot pass a gas station this old body cannot pass a bathroom. No trouble starting to make water just have to do it more often. Old age Bah Humbug.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-17-2020, 09:05 PM

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-17-2020, 09:16 PM

Location: Southern Indiana surrounded by federal public land, Hoosier National Forrest

Go to the doctor.

"Last seen wandering Hoosier National Forest."
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-18-2020, 07:47 AM

I take a Tamsulosin pill; 0.4 mg daily as well, have for about 6 yrs or more. It works well for me but one of the side effects I am dealing with affects the eyes (I have astigmatism, early glaucoma, cataracts/floaters) and my eye doctor wants to do the lens replacement on me ASAP as if I wait too long then this medicine will put my eyes in a condition where the eye surgery will not be as effective as it normally is.

Doctors and google fu recommend to avoid chocolate, coffee, tea, (go de-caf), etc., to help. I don't drink tea anymore, but have to have my coffee in the morning, and don't eat much chocolate so.

I use an prescription app called GoodRx and it will search your local pharmacies for the best price, etc. Most pharmacies take this app, a 90 day supply of Tamsulosin is around $20 for me with no insurance at this time for me, which is another reason for delaying the eye surgery. I turn 65 in late August, so this fall I will probably have the eye surgeries done.

Master Piddler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page