Graybeard Outdoors banner

Veterans Day might be a good time to burn some nmemories

686 views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Argent11 
#1 ·
#6 ·
Happy birthday Agent11 it is also my brother in laws he is 95 was on day 3 of the Normandy invasion went from there with Paton third army. now a shipping cake for birthday story. I was in Korea 1952 and my birthday was coming up in those days any package or letter with the APO address only took 3 days if my mother mailed me a package or letter on Monday I got it at mail call at noon on wed. but we did live in the bay area so she made me a very nice cake packed it good and mailed it so I would have it on my birthday but there was a problem because they chose to rotate a bunch of us out early to get us home for Christmas, Ike. was fulfilling a promise to have the troops home for Christmas any way I was home 3 days way passed my birthday Dec. the 9th when P.O. called and said come get the cake it had picked up some free loaders on the trip ants. and lots of them. So there is a memory for this veteran day

Deaconllb

#8 ·
Mail was handled much different than it is today and we did not have to pay postage either we just wrote free where the stamp went and our APO number in the senders return address I don't think USPS was involved till it got back to the states. My Mother would bake and send me a couple of those fried apple pies and they would still be nice and fresh.(you thought I was going to say warm) The first time she did it I wrote her back and said mom there are 8 men in my tent and we share our goodies so from then on when she sent some she would send 10 or 12.
It was a much different world then than it is today we had mail call every day at noon The first Sargent would call out the names and hand us our mail.

Deaconllb

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.