Coyote or Dog or X ? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Default Coyote or Dog or X ?

I saw this behind my house 2 days ago . The first thing I thought was a coyote , but the white color and size had me thinking coy-dog . I have had German Shepherds most of my life and this was just as tall as any male GSD , but not as heavy built . The white color is not a pure white , it has a dull pee color tint to it .

It ran of or should say , it loped off when I went outside to the light tree line 300 yards away . I saw it again a couple hours later , then it disappeared again . So I went outside with my grunt call and camera . After a few crying sounds with my grunt call , it came out from around the back of this abandoned house behind my house . I always see a lot of squirrels back there . I was able to get these 2 pictures .

I told my brother-in-law about it and he reminded me of a story that was in the news here in 2009 . A mountain man from Idaho was here visiting his brother and brought his white wolf hybrid with him . They had him in a outside pen while he was visiting and he got lose one night during a thunderstorm and they never found him . There were reports from people seeing him up to 2014 . That has me thinking what I saw was some of his offspring . What y'all think from my bad pictures .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	coyote behind house 001.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	270.9 KB
ID:	225108  

Click image for larger version

Name:	coyote behind house 002.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	205.2 KB
ID:	225110  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 06:17 PM

feed that sweet dog.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 06:23 PM

Location: THE REPUBLIC OF TEXAS or CENTRAL FREDONIAN REPUBLIC
Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatercat View Post
feed that sweet dog.

yes. if you do chose to feed it, be sure and take it to the vet and get its
shots, and keep it as your own or give it to a person that will provide a
loving home. don't ever feed a roaming animal and let it continue to roam.
either keep it or kill it.

The United States doesn't have a gun control problem.
We have a people control problem.

Honor the Texas flag;I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas,
one state under God, one and indivisible.

* * * * AMERICA * * * *
LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT ! !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 09:14 PM

I don't think it's a German Shepard, so, I would kill it to maybe keep someone from getting hurt, like a child.

HEAVEN HAS A WALL, A GATE, AND A STRICT IMMIGRATION POLICY.
H*LL HAS OPEN BORDERS. taken from fox news

DEMOCRATS/ABORTIONISTS SHOULD TAKE HEED OF THE FACT THAT BABIES ARE GOD'S MOST PRECIOUS.

MURDER BABIES AND YOU "WILL" BURN FOR ETERNITY.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 11:36 PM

Hard to tell. Muzzle doesn't look sharp enough for coyote and neck is too thick, but tail looks right. Ears appear to be pink inside suggesting dog. Hybrids frequently are not able to reproduce, so wolf-dog descendant is unlikely. Might be coy-dog or just a dog that looks like a coyote.

You might check with local game warden to see if there are known feral dogs in your area. One would not want to shoot someone's pet just out on a walkabout. That fact that it did not run, but loped away suggests it may not be feral or coyote or coyote hybrid. However, feral dogs (and cats) are undesirable and breeding packs are a threat to wildlife and domestic stock, and sometimes people.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 08:35 AM

When a dog attacks, it's more vicious than wild canines in most instances.
I might take the above advice and contact the game warden. He would know if there's been complaints.

HEAVEN HAS A WALL, A GATE, AND A STRICT IMMIGRATION POLICY.
H*LL HAS OPEN BORDERS. taken from fox news

DEMOCRATS/ABORTIONISTS SHOULD TAKE HEED OF THE FACT THAT BABIES ARE GOD'S MOST PRECIOUS.

MURDER BABIES AND YOU "WILL" BURN FOR ETERNITY.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

I am in a neighborhood , so I can not shot it . I did call animal control and there were no other reports of it and they wouldn't come out from my description , thinking it was a coy-dog .
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 10:52 AM

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!

We kill a lot of coyote dog crosses in Iowa. After doing it for 40 years I have come to believe that these crosses carry a lot more of the coyote trait than that from the dog side. The size of the critter and tracks in the snow are the most tell tale signs. Sometimes you can see a difference in the eyes too. For instance one that looks like coyote in every way except weighs 63 lbs and has Malamute looking eyes. Such a coyote was killed here-a-bouts a couple of years ago. Coyote tracks always go in a straight line while coyote dog cross often have a canter....A pure coyote that is caught in a trap usually cowers when you walk up to it unless you have the alpha male or old brood bitch. Even then they will arch their back and tuck their tail. A dog cross is apt to do anything like hit the end of the chain repeatedly or is more apt to come for you.

A few years back we had a steady run of killing large dark male coyotes. They were using dens and living the coyote life. It seemed like they were getting bigger and darker every year. Then the mystery was solved when one of the guys in the group killed a 70 pound black German Shepherd that came out of coyote den that he was set up on. He looked to be 8 years old. He had started off breeding coyotes and then their offspring until they looked more like a dog than a coyote. That was 15 years ago and those genes are still out there in NE Jasper county Iowa. I saw one when while bird hunting a few weeks ago. Very dark and huge for Iowa. He was 1 mile from where my buddy killed that Shepherd 15 years ago.

The one in the OP's picture looks all dog to me! Nose and ears aren't right for coyote traits.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 11:21 AM

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa&hisguns View Post
The one in the OP's picture looks all dog to me! Nose and ears aren't right for coyote traits.
+1 What Gran'pa said!

Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute. Currently a Gentleman of Leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2020, 06:45 PM

I'm not speaking of others, but northeastern coyotes, are not coydogs, but coywolves.. For years, people called them coydogs, but several universities have studied them and came to the conclusion of a coywolf.

http://theconversation.com/why-the-e...-coywolf-59214

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.. (Gen George S. Patton)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page