How to kill a 'chuck with a .22 RF? - Page 2 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

I've had a .22 Benjamin Nitro Piston gun for a few years. I've practiced quite a bit and tried different pellets but I'm not satisfied with accuracy. About an inch and a quarter at 25 yards. Not to mention concerns about sufficient power.

Two years ago a wounded raccoon screwed itself into the most inaccessible place under my deck and died. I had to take a lot of my deck apart to find t and remove it. I hope I don't have to go through that again.

I've been working at the range with a couple of .22 rifles, a bolt action CZ and an old Stevens 87A which is pretty neat, 24" barrel and capability to function semi-auto or as a bolt action. I put 4x scopes on both. Among the various ammo I've tried, CCI subsonic hollow point 40 grain seems most promising. Also Standard Velocity solids.

I do have a suppressor but it's a 30 cal center fire, non serviceable one and I don't want to be putting a lot of rimfire ammo through it and get it loaded up with junk, reducing its internal volume. I'm working up a 22 K-Hornet subsonic load using jacketed bullets. I could try 300 BLK subs but honestly I'm concerned about ricochet. There are new houses not close, but close enough that it could, under the right circumstances, be a concern. And yes, people call the police anytime they think they hear a gunshot. They complain when the police department shoots at the police range!

Side note; Ya know, they live back there in their half million dollar houses in golf-community subdivisions on what was agricultural land when I moved here...and they complain about any and everything, out buildings, vehicles, noise...then they ride past my house on their Harleys with no mufflers cranking on the loud-handle when they come out of the subdivision and hit 60-70 mph in the 35 mph zone...

The city has had deer culling projects and the outrage from some residents was unreal. They'd go to where the culling was happening and blow horns and bang pots and pans to drive the deer away! Two years ago a hemorrhaging disease spread by biting flies went through the local deer herd. Many animals died an agonizing drawn out death. One aspect is a very high fever. They seek deep water to try to cool off. There is a containment pond for the new housing development just south of my house. Many deer went there, then crawled into all the tangle and undergrowth to die, 50 feet from my house. Nasty.

Anyway...I have woodchucks living in dens underneath my deck. I try to exclude them but they just find a place to chew through wood and scrape out a passage in the ground and get in. I've tried live trapping with no success (catch coons all the time though). They go underneath any cars parked and chew on wires and anything plastic, even sometimes climbing up in engine compartments. And at this time, I swear sometimes I can detect a poop smell coming from under the deck. Something has to be done.

Among others, one of my biggest concerns is a wounded varmint making it back under my deck and then expiring there. I want to anchor the thing right where it is, DRT as they say.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 10:35 PM

Gun Cabinet

The friend I mentioned that shoots lots of raccoons has a motion light on the back of his house to warn him when critters come to munch on his garden. He is up at 2:00 to 3:00 in the morning on a regular basis and when he sees the light come on it's usually coons. He shoots from the window in his mud room and is a patient shooter and waits until he has just the shot he wants. My wife and I visited him on Memorial weekend and the day we arrived he showed me 4 he shot the night before we arrived. He said so far this year he has shot 14. Last year all through the gardening season he said he shot near 100. Where he lives it is legal to shoot on his property and even though it's not Raccoon season the law allows shooting pests to protect your fruits and vegetables. A 22 short solid placed right will do the job.

jedman

Still kickin
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Raccoons got into my daughter's chickens and killed 6 a few days ago (she has her own place, not here at my place). She's been catching them in a live trap and dispatching them. Got a number of them so far. She says they're fat...

Her significant other wanted to live trap them and relocate them. Well, that was a no-go. Ineffective not to mention illegal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 07:59 AM

Heck, I even head shot one the other day with my .177 Gamo using Crosman hollowpoints.

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

Still living under the curse, but one of these days I will shed this body, be clothed with an immortal one, and everything will be good.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 07:55 PM

Thumbs up get a Benjamin Marauder

PCP air rifle i 25 cal. extremely quite right out of the box, deadly accurate when correct pellet is found for it and lethal on game the size of coons, etc.

of course, you'll be entering a different world. the world of PCP air rifles.

don't squat while wearing your spurs...will rogers
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 06:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalk View Post
PCP air rifle i 25 cal. extremely quite right out of the box, deadly accurate when correct pellet is found for it and lethal on game the size of coons, etc.

of course, you'll be entering a different world. the world of PCP air rifles.
I've thought of that but I don't really need another obsession!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page