How to call foxes. - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 06:37 AM Thread Starter

Default How to call foxes.

This Aussie, shows how proper fox calling is done! (under 2 min video)

INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN, SCREAMING TO GET OUT. (David Horowitz)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 07:12 AM

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!

IG, I've killed fox and coyotes in the hundreds. What they don't tell you is that those calls, whether it be a dying/squealing rabbit call, a woodpecker will also call in birds of prey. I have been dive bombed by hawks and owls numerous times. If they hear the call and see a small amount of movement like your hand move then it triggers their attack mode.

Both coyotes and fox are about full grown by the time they are 6 months old and they are the most vulnerable to a call the first fall hunting season of their lives. By the age of two you can hardly call a coyote in daylight in the midwest. They are too nocturnal and people shy. However in remote areas like the Aussie outback those fox may never see a person or never develop the natural fear of them, as was obvious with the fox jumping up against the caller. That was pretty cool.

Our fox number are way down thanks to the coyotes preying on them. I called in a large male fox on January 19th of this year using a female coyote invite call. I didn't suppose that could even happen. He was 100 feet when he plopped down on his butt and gave me that "what the heck is that white blob?" look. I did not shoot him as my war is with the coyotes and partly on his behalf.

I have a friend in the Rocky Mountains near the Canadian border who calls coyotes much the same way and with good success. Can you imagine his surprise when a grizzly answered his wounded rabbit call? A 22-250 with a 55 grain bullet isn't exactly a bear gun!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa&hisguns View Post
IG, I've killed fox and coyotes in the hundreds. What they don't tell you is that those calls, whether it be a dying/squealing rabbit call, a woodpecker will also call in birds of prey. I have been dive bombed by hawks and owls numerous times. If they hear the call and see a small amount of movement like your hand move then it triggers their attack mode.

Both coyotes and fox are about full grown by the time they are 6 months old and they are the most vulnerable to a call the first fall hunting season of their lives. By the age of two you can hardly call a coyote in daylight in the midwest. They are too nocturnal and people shy. However in remote areas like the Aussie outback those fox may never see a person or never develop the natural fear of them, as was obvious with the fox jumping up against the caller. That was pretty cool.

Our fox number are way down thanks to the coyotes preying on them. I called in a large male fox on January 19th of this year using a female coyote invite call. I didn't suppose that could even happen. He was 100 feet when he plopped down on his butt and gave me that "what the heck is that white blob?" look. I did not shoot him as my war is with the coyotes and partly on his behalf.

I have a friend in the Rocky Mountains near the Canadian border who calls coyotes much the same way and with good success. Can you imagine his surprise when a grizzly answered his wounded rabbit call? A 22-250 with a 55 grain bullet isn't exactly a bear gun!
Thanks for the info gpa, I have not yet hunted fox or coyotes by calling... but for sure, it is on my bucket list !

INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN, SCREAMING TO GET OUT. (David Horowitz)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page