Graybeard Outdoors banner

coyote suprize.

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  alleyyooper 
#1 ·
Eric and Dean arrived just after 6:00 PM last evening. We discussed the coyotes I had heard the night before and made a plan we hoped would work.

We would split up on my place and run two callers with about the same sounds at once at each end. I set up in the center where I might see any coyotes sneaking from the east to the caller close by.

Dean set up on the west end to ambush any coyote that may come from the pack I heard across the road Thursday evening.

the west end is tough due to all the autumn olive and the creek has cut a deep channel there over the hundreds of years.

Eric set up on top of the ridge at the east end of the property and could cover nearly the whole property except any sneaking thru the neighbors corn. That was what I was to do is watch for any coming thru the corn. Once we had settled in the signal for us was Dean to start his caller then Eric would start.

I was starting to think a the 20 minute mark we were going to get skunked when Dean fired. Then on the road a squeaking of tires and quiet. I grab my pack and walk out to the center of the ridge where Eric can see me at the 30 minute mark. He gathers his gear and decoy & caller then joins me. About that time we hear another shot fired but not Deans 308/22 but his 41 Mag.

We walk down where he was supposed to be and he had gone. So we gave a yell and he answered from the road. We cross the creek and walk to the road and Dean is there with a dead coyote, and hysterical woman.

Dean said a single coyote had came up the creek bank and just as he fired a second one piped up and was gone back down just as quick.
Said he heard the tires screeching on the road and the SUV stop after a slight bump sound.
He decided to walk out and see what was up and found a coyote spinning around in the road so he shot it with his pistol. Woman kept saying maybe a vet could have saved it why did you shoot it.
She was really hysterical saying it just ran out of the wooded ditch and she tried to stop but couldn’t.
Dean came out and shot the coyote and that put her over the edge even more than hitting the thing Dean said.

So Eric starts talking to the woman and says it is a coyote and they are killing the small game, small pets and fawns and there are plenty more where that one came from.
Kept telling her that a vet would not have even wanted to work on it.
Finally got her calmed down enough she got back in her Chevy Traks and she finally slowly drove off.

I wonder today what she thought afterwards about 3 camo clad men with rifles and back packs coming out of the woods.

:D Al

See less See more
#2 ·
would have looked pretty normal to any yopper. Glad you killing some. So bad around here this year that im afraid to let my dog out after dark. Neighbor saw a wolf about 200 yard from our houses a couple weeks ago too

#4 ·
I suppose she was bonkers from hitting the thing in thre first place.

Our group for 2019 have taken out 242 coyotes, I have 29 to my credit.
We lost Mikie a couple months ago so we are down to 8 members.

:D. Al

#6 ·
Glad to see you guys are putting a hurt on the coyotes!

You should have grabbed that injured coyote by the tail and slung it into the backseat of that lady's car and said "The nearest vet is that way"! She might have had a different opinion of coyotes before she got too far down the road. :)

#7 ·
Dean got there first and put the coyote out of its misery. Later said may have been better to put the woman out of hers.

Dean sells real-estate and doesn't have much use for whiny women. Told me couple years ago he is glad he has the office now and sales people who work for him.

Said he had showen a couple in their 30's a really nice place 10 year old home on 15 acres half wooded which the man was gung ho over for hunting deer and other things.
Wifie kept whining the walls were painted the wrong color or the counter top clashed with the cabnets.
Said he wanted to drown the woman in the stock tank by the horse barn.

Sold it to a different couple two days later while Hubby was trying to get the dumb woman to under stand how you paint walls and such.

#9 ·
No vet in this area would work on a wild coyote and I don't know of any one who has or had a tame one.
Woman was from the lake down the road. those people are pretty much tree huggers, although they drive like fools down our gravel road where deer and other critters cross.

We will be hitting rhe coyotes hard once fire arm deer season is finished. things always slow down once the spring greens up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.