What's your fav. squirrel gun? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 236 (permalink) Old 04-10-2003, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to howie1968
Default What's your fav. squirrel gun?

what type of gun do you like for squirrels??? me i like .22 the best loaded with hollowpoint ccI mini-mags favorite squirell gun is a marlin model 60 and a ruger 10-22

Hi enjoy hunting guns teaching my 2 daughters about hunting and boxing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 236 (permalink) Old 04-10-2003, 06:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to Woodchuk
Default Favorite...hmm...

Well, here's what I've used in the past...

Shotguns: Mossberg Model 500 in 20 guage, SxS double barrel .410
Rifles: Ruger 10/22 with 4x Redfield scope, Old Remington Pump .22, Winchester Lever .22, and a crossman 1377 pellet pistol.

Now, if I'm in an area where I'd prefer a shotgun, the .410 wins. It's got full chokes and carries just ever so sweetly. Plus, it was my grandfather's who has since passed away, so that makes it even sweeter.

If I'm heading somewhere where I want a rifle, I love to take that Winchester Lever action. It's got a little more heft (weight) to it that makes it balance just right. Problem is, it's not mine. It's my Aunt's and gets used at her house to keep the grey sqirrels out of the bird feeder. I'm free to borrow it anytime though, and lately I've been taking it out on loan for most of winter break. This rifle carries nicely, shoulders nicely, and shoots nicely.

The old Remington pump (not sure of model) is also a sweet little rifle to carry, even better than the Winchester. That's because it's so tiny, I can wrap my whole hand around the reciever. It's accurate too, but I shoot the Winchester better because of it's heavier.

One thing I have to say, is that I prefer to carry my rifles/shotguns. I like something that you can cradle in your arm or carry in your hand, not something you have to sling over your shoulder. Plus, I've developed a fondness for some of the older stuff, cause generally it had better contours. That's one of the reasons I don't like the Ruger 10/22; it has a square-ish stock and just doesn't carry as comfortable or feel as good in my hands. The other reason I don't care for it, is because it's scoped. Nothing wrong with scopes mind you, but my eyesight's good enough that I don't need them and they make carrying the rifle less comfortable. Both the Winchester and Remington have very fine sights with a fine brass bead front sight. I LOVE those brass bead front sights. And these are tiny on both guns, allowing for some precise shooting.

One other firearm that I have shot, but never taken a squirrel with is my buddy's game gun. It's a break action .22 over .410 that was his fathers when he was a kid. It balances nicely, carries nicely, and is a tack driver. I'd love to have it and if I did, it might just rank as my favorite. Only reason I've never shot a squirrel with it is my buddy won't give it up, even for a moment while he's in the woods. Can't say as I blame him though.

One interesting note for some, is that this coming squirrel season I'll be trying out some new firearms. One is a Ruger Super Single Six and the other is a S&W K-22 Masterpiece (also belonged to my grandfather). I live in NYS and my pistol permit was issued just last week. I also plan to start bowhunting squirrels sometime in the future.

So, what was your question? Oh yeah, my favorite...

If I had to choose, I'd say it was that lever action Winchester, with a very close second going to the Remington.

As for ammunition, I shoot the cheapest bricks of .22 I can buy. Usually Federal or Remington. I also do all of my squirrel shooting off hand, and can't say that the extra cost of CCI mini-mags is justified for me. However, I will say that I did buy 50 of them once, just for the plastic case they come in. It makes a handy dispenser of ammo and you can drop out exactly how many you need at one time.

For shotgun ammo, I only have to say...High brass, baby. High brass. :wink:
post #3 of 236 (permalink) Old 04-10-2003, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to howie1968
Default I used to live in NYS also

in a small town called carthage squirrel hunting was awesom as well as fox also. i also lie the older firearms as they appeal to me for the same reasons you talk about. i have also bowhuntd and i am not gonna tell you the hit to miss ratio but it was pretty humbling and the K-22 is a fine weapon try some of those new velocitors ot of it you will be impressed they shoot great in my guns and cci makes them they have the speer gold dot hollow point in them they are super wicked

Hi enjoy hunting guns teaching my 2 daughters about hunting and boxing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 236 (permalink) Old 04-10-2003, 09:47 PM

Up until this past season my favorite squirrel getter was a 14 inch 22lr match Contender from Fox Ridge Custom. Just last summer I did three rimfire squirrel projects, a CZ 452, a 10/22 custom, and a Savage 93 .17HMR. Of all these the HMR calls to me every time I go into my gun room. It killed more than half of my season limit of squirrels here in NC (42 I think of the 70) with a hand full being 100yard shots. BTY don't like those long shots on squirrel, just seems to be an up close kind of hunting to me, but I really wanted to see what the HMR could do. IT WILL HUNT!!!! :grin: :-D

Love those .41s'
post #5 of 236 (permalink) Old 04-15-2003, 01:09 PM

10/22 is my bag filler. 410 bolt action (don't know the model) that my uncle lent me used to be my fav. it would smack a tree rat at 45 yards with ease.
cheers,
willis5

Cheers,
Willis5
post #6 of 236 (permalink) Old 04-15-2003, 07:50 PM

A Marlin bolt-action .22 with a 3x8 Bushnell scope.

I am eternally grateful for the Grace of GOD that allowed me to be born an American. A free man in a free country!!!
post #7 of 236 (permalink) Old 04-17-2003, 01:04 AM

I like to keep the sport in it so I also us a .22 . It is just a cheap westernfeild bolt action with a bushnell scope my dad traded a fishing pole for . He gave me the gun when I was13 and still use it to this day .

If an animal activist is being mauled by a bear should we stop it , or , " let nature take its course?"
post #8 of 236 (permalink) Old 04-17-2003, 06:59 AM

Kimber of Oregon Model 82 with a Leupold 2.5-8X32. Last month I came across a deal and bought a Kimber SVT and a Ruger K77/17VMBBZ. I topped them both with Leupold 4.5-14X50 scopes. I get real serious about squirrel hunting.

I like the Velocitors in the Kimber 82 and using a rangerfinder and the with Velocitors I have made several 80+ yard shots. I hope to stretch that out with the 17HMR this fall. Did I mention I get serious about squirrel hunting.

I am also working on a modified ghillie suit. It will incorporate a bugnet under the suit. So far it isn't working, it's too heavy. I live on the MS Gulf Coast so 70-80 degree December days are not unusual. It needs to be light enough for the early season and that is causing the problem. By the time I start adding bulk to break up my outline it is almost too hot to wear.
post #9 of 236 (permalink) Old 04-22-2003, 08:27 AM

Contender first, followed closely by a marlin lever action 22. Both are super guns and very accurate.
post #10 of 236 (permalink) Old 04-30-2003, 08:05 PM

Have to go with my Marlin over-under 22/20 ga. I like open sites, if I miss with the 22 cal I'll get them skipping through the trees with the 20 ga.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page