Graybeard Outdoors banner

Spring Turkey Season

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  burntmuch 
#1 ·
Our spring season opens May first here in NY. I don't usually start thinking about hunting til sometime in March, but I'm way ahead of schedule for some reason this year. I've been doing a lot of reading on the subject, playing with calls, and generally getting fired up, thinking about old gobblers with thick beards and long sharp spurs. This got me thinking about the earlier seasons that some folks have in different parts of the country. I know in some places, the spring season opens as early as sometime in March. I can't hunt, but I can at least talk about it. When does the spring season open where you are?

Bob

#2 ·
Huh, nobody? I've been driving my girlfriend nuts with my yelps, clucks, purrs, and talking about turkey hunting. Every time I mention turkeys, or get a call out, she rolls her eyes and leaves the room. Oh well, maybe a little closer to spring. ;)

Bob

#3 ·
I'm hunting Maine this year main season opens 4 May, the 2nd is a youth day and I finally got my daughter through hunter's saftey. I pratice my calls when I can. My dogs go nuts and both my 2 years olds say no daddy. Just colsed on 65 acres and I'm told they have lots ofbirds in the area.
just have to get her gun camoed up

Attachments

#4 ·
I'm glad to hear that somebody else is thinking about it too. Like I said, I usually don't get fired up this early, don't know why I am this year. That's great that your daughter took her safety course, call a bird in for her and she'll be hooked for life. I can't wait to see the picture. Yeah, you probably better camo her gun just for the heck of it. Congrats to ya on the acreage too, birds and all. Thanks for the reply.

Bob

#5 ·
I'm starting to think about it. Our season in NH opens May 3rd. Youth weekend is April 25-26 so I'll be taking my son out to hopefully get his first bird.

#6 ·
I'm looking forward also. got a new choke on order for my daughter's 20 ga, just got my barrel back from Orlen's with the choke installed. need to mount the sight and get then patterned and we will be ready

#7 ·
got the sight mounted and included the new choke. now just waiting for my daughters choketo come in and the range to open and were ready

Attachments

#8 ·
Our season opens the 20th of april and I'll be out at my buddies waiting in ambush. He see's them every day pass below his house so I may not have to even hit the call if I get there in time. if I can pick up a blind in time I might try to use my bow. We have lots of state forest around here so I have a few options. Good luck with your daughter.

#9 ·
Am a little concerned. Went up to the property and found to much snow. sank nearly to my hip in one spot. checked the fields to the north some are alittle clearer but didn't see any turkey sign in the woods.

#10 ·
The toms are gobbling like crazy here in Michigan, my tags are for the 1st of May . I've decided to go after them with the bow this year, because I hate my Mossberg 835. Last week I watched a tom with 12 or so hens in the field behind the barn. That got my turkey fever up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.