New technology in 410 shells - Page 3 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45/70fan View Post
Over on NC Hunt & Fish there's a guy that's been handloading them for himself and couple buddies for several years. Seems like more and more are jumping on the 410 bandwagon. They are having no problems out to 40 yards, tho most prefer 35 max.

From what I’ve read Hal knows his stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

My FFL friend text me Friday and said the 410 turkey guns had arrived. Hope I can get over to pick them up later this week.

Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE, Trump for 2020
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 07:18 AM Thread Starter

Ytd my friend the FFL holder brought over my 2 new savage 410 turkey guns. He brought his 2 boys also and a truckload of rifles he wanted to shoot.

We assembled my GS’s turkey 410, and put a red dot on the installed from factory rail. The action was very stiff. So I lubed everything and worked it a few times. Then we put up a turkey target and sighted it in at 25 yards. Using 3” lead # 6’s it was a turkey killer from the start. All three boys loved it. Easy to hold and shoot. But too stiff for the smaller boys to open or reload.

So I’ve been siting in front of the tv cocking the action and opening the action and closing it. The gun is smoothing out nicely but the springs are pretty heavy. When you pop it open the fired case really get thrown out. GS has trouble cocking it. But he can shoot it good as it’s lite enough for him to hold up and keep on target.

Last night I had a big orange coon on the feeder. At least that’s what it looked like. May have been a big fat orange cat. Anyway a load of #6’s knocked it off the feeder. I thought it was dead but it got up and ran off. I’ll follow it up this morning. I usually use my drilling’s for the coons with 2& 1/2” #6 16 gauge shells.

Byron

NRA LIFE, Trump for 2020

Last edited by pastorp; 07-21-2019 at 07:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 10:15 AM

Pastorp, I was wondering how they might pattern lead shot. Can you change chokes on this model? I think I would like one for both Turkey and Grouse. The tighter choke might be a little much for grouse. It would be nice to change chokes as needed.
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Duck View Post
Pastorp, I was wondering how they might pattern lead shot. Can you change chokes on this model? I think I would like one for both Turkey and Grouse. The tighter choke might be a little much for grouse. It would be nice to change chokes as needed.
The turkey gun comes with one xtra full turkey choke. But they are screw in and the literature says the winlite 410 chokes will fit.

Byron

NRA LIFE, Trump for 2020

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page