Graybeard Outdoors banner

New technology in 410 shells

4K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  TomInVT 
#1 ·
Make a 410 shotgun a viable turkey gun.

Savage has even come out with a single shot 410 turkey gun. Has a screw in turkey choke that’s designed for the new federal TSS turkey loads. Gun comes with a base to mount a red dot sight as well. I watched a guy shoot a big tom at about 40 yards with one on tv. Worked like a charm.

My grandson loves turkey hunting but hates the recoil. So I ordered 10 boxes of TSS #9 410 shells. And we spent a week patterning both my 410 doubles before last years turkey season. The results were petty good out to about 35 yards with the lefever. The 311 was not as good only about a 25 yard gun.

So I’m thinking about giving the grandson a new savage 410 turkey gun for Christmas this year. Probably put a Burris speed bead on it for him too.

Anyone tried one of these guns yet?

#2 ·
I've been looking for one at online stores but can't seem to find one. My LGS tried to order one but they were on backorder. With a red dot it should make a great turkey slayer. A cylinder or improved cylinder choke tube and slugs would make a decent deer gun inside 50 yards too. I've shot a few deer with Federal 1/4 oz slugs (109 gr) and they work good.

#4 ·
If you use the words "Savage 301 turkey 410" on Gunbroker, there are 23 listings for them right now. Starting at $160 with a "Buy it Now" option from some place called "TheGunDock", working their way up to $325.

All the best,
Glenn

#3 ·
I wasn't aware of the Savage single shot, nor the .410 TSS turkey loads. Thanks for sharing that info. Now I have something else to look into!

I've been wanting a .410 double for a long time now. Still looking for one. I may just end up buying a new Stoeger from Academy, just to get it over with.

All the best,
Glenn

#5 ·
Me too! I have been hunting pheasant for 50 years but nothing has ever killed them deader than my single shot 410 when I was a kid. I went from 12 to 20 to 28 gauge over the last couple of years and have still ruined too much table fare. Hunting over a good close working dog almost demands that I get a SXS 410 for my waning years.

The new turkey load should work on pheasants as a back up shot just in case if in my old age I would ding one on the first shot and need to shoot it again.

Besides and old guy carrying a double barrel 410 just looks cool:tango_face_grin:!

#8 ·

I ordered 10 boxes of Federal TSS #9 410 turkey loads

Pastorp,

#9 shot for turkeys
Now that's a new one to me?!

Even with Federal's heavy weight tungsten shot.
that #9 pellet will only weigh the same as a lead #8 shot.

I'm still using 1-7/8 oz #6 lead thru super-full turkey choke.
It's good out to 40 yards maybe a bit more patterning for 3 brain or spine hits.

What am I missing?

#10 ·
Over on NC Hunt & Fish there's a guy that's been handloading them for himself and couple buddies for several years. Seems like more and more are jumping on the 410 bandwagon. They are having no problems out to 40 yards, tho most prefer 35 max.

#12 ·
Yes I saw it tommy. But it’s heavier than the savage turkey gun and does not have a turkey choke.

But it’s a nice single shot 410 for a adult. But I’ll probably buy a savage for my grandson.

Since I have 2 410 doubles I’ll just use them for myself.

#13 ·
Well yesterday I called my friend with the FFL and told him to see what he could get me a savage 410 turkey gun for. He called back in a few minuets with a price and said availability was good from his distributor. So I told him to order 2 of them for me. Late afternoon he text and said they were on the way. One for grandson and one for me.

#19 ·
Nice DM, in Florida on private property a 22 mag rifle is legal for turkeys. So that’s probably what I would use if it was just me hunting.

But the SIL has gotten in with Herald Knight and his boys and hunts all over the USA and they only call in the toms & shoot them in the head with a shotgun. They switched to 20 gauges a few years ago, but now the 410 is all the rage. So the GS thinks he’s got to call in his turkey. He’s actually pretty good at it too. But he’s recoil sensitive so that’s why I’m giving him a 410 turkey gun. I like a 410 too for some things. But my favorite is the 16 gauge.

#20 ·
I really don't like those glorified buzzards, so I no longer hunt them... lol

The last one I shot, I shot it with my 16ga. using hi brass #6's,

There's lots and lots of them here where I live... It's shotguns only here...

DM

#23 · (Edited)
Ytd my friend the FFL holder brought over my 2 new savage 410 turkey guns. He brought his 2 boys also and a truckload of rifles he wanted to shoot.

We assembled my GS’s turkey 410, and put a red dot on the installed from factory rail. The action was very stiff. So I lubed everything and worked it a few times. Then we put up a turkey target and sighted it in at 25 yards. Using 3” lead # 6’s it was a turkey killer from the start. All three boys loved it. Easy to hold and shoot. But too stiff for the smaller boys to open or reload.

So I’ve been siting in front of the tv cocking the action and opening the action and closing it. The gun is smoothing out nicely but the springs are pretty heavy. When you pop it open the fired case really get thrown out. GS has trouble cocking it. But he can shoot it good as it’s lite enough for him to hold up and keep on target.

Last night I had a big orange **** on the feeder. At least that’s what it looked like. May have been a big fat orange cat. Anyway a load of #6’s knocked it off the feeder. I thought it was dead but it got up and ran off. I’ll follow it up this morning. I usually use my drilling’s for the ***** with 2& 1/2” #6 16 gauge shells.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.