Graybeard Outdoors

Graybeard Outdoors (https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php)
-   Trapping Discussion (https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/31-trapping-discussion.html)
-   -   Wax Dirt (https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/31-trapping-discussion/278401-wax-dirt.html)

dinny 12-14-2016 09:04 PM

Wax Dirt

2444 Attachment(s)
Hello all,
I'm a country boy stuck in the city. I want to trap coyotes to thin the population on a place I deer hunt. I have a couple of Duke #3 round jaws that I dipped in thinned Rustoleum heavy rust primer, a sifter box, a dozen wolf fang anchors with driver, a trapping shovel, two different types of lure, and a little knowledge via Youtube and my grandfather who is an experienced trapper of yesteryear.

So my plan is to set a couple of step-down dirt hole sets along a heavily traveled earth dam at the end of a man made pond. I see scat and tracks there quite often. I plan to use wax paper over top the trap pan, but need wax dirt to fill the hole. Tonight's low temp is 9. Short of me making it myself (I don't have the equipment, space, etc to make it), where can I buy it? I probably only need a gallon or two for the entire season.

I have a deal worked with a real trapper in the area to give him any coyotes I trap in exchange for me learning how to skin, scrape, and stretch them. He water traps and doesn't have any wax dirt.

Anything else I'm missing here?

Thanks, Dinny

Mike Wilhite 12-14-2016 09:23 PM

Minnesota Trapline Products, F&T, and others sell it in 20lb bags. Check out their online catalogs!

dinny 12-15-2016 07:28 PM

2444 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Wilhite (Post 2374185)
Minnesota Trapline Products, F&T, and others sell it in 20lb bags. Check out their online catalogs!

Thanks, I found some.

Thanks, Dinny

RdFx 12-16-2016 11:28 AM

Any more questions fire away. If one of us doesnt know the answer, im sure another will pop up. We dont know everything and animals act differant in some ways in other parts of the country plus trapping conditions. Mike W is a knowledgeable trapper and gives freely of his knowledge.

jiminpa 12-21-2016 09:02 PM

wax dirt is simple. dry dirt, wax and heat. lots of ways to do it, i use my woodburner in the basement this time of year. old flat pan on top of the stove, add dirt to warm it, add wax a little at a time (stirring it in as it melts). the dirt will look wet when done. too much wax(clumps as it cools) add more dirt. I have also used a heatlamp(borrowed from the chicken coop) and a tarp in the summer.

dinny 12-22-2016 11:09 AM

2444 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the ideas. I will see what I can do on my Weber grill.

Thanks, Dinny

Bogmaster 12-22-2016 12:28 PM

I tell my customers that buy the 1 pound blocks of wax,-use a cheese grater on the block wax for making waxed dirt.
Tom

cotton45c 12-22-2016 09:12 PM

might want to give peat moss a try too, way cheaper

dinny 12-24-2016 03:07 PM

2444 Attachment(s)
Where can I get peat moss? Garden center at Lowe's, Walmart, etc?

Also, could I use topsoil from a garden center for the dirt in wax dirt?

Thanks, Dinny

Bogmaster 12-24-2016 03:46 PM

Pete moss should be available at the garden centers you mentioned.And you can use the top soil available there-for waxing.
Have fun.
Tom