Our favorite time of year - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

Default Our favorite time of year

A month to go till our water opener.Its been 2 years since I have been able to hunt or trap.
Got out last weekend for our waterfowl opener.Boy was I rusty brought home one honker,but did more missing than hitting.It was sure great to get out. Did a bit of scouting for fur,but the rats haven't started their major building projects yet.
I am exited and looking forward to the upcoming season.
Tom

Yes I am a trap supply dealer.
Yes I have Lenons Muskrat,coyote,fox,Bobcat,fisher and Marten--4 ounce lures.
(651)436-2539
Also Blackies Blend ,his entire line of 1 and 4
0z. lures and his baits .Also my MoundMaster beaver Lures.
Wiebe knives and fleshing tools ,Too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-30-2017, 09:47 AM

I woke up early like usual but with cooler weather and open window I laid in bed longer than normal. Today was the duck season opener here and the boys started popping right at first light. Many years ago as a young man I'd have been out last night camped on an island somewhere on the river waiting the opener. Haven't done an opener for some years now and may not even go out this first week. Not a big fan of swatting mosquitoes while trying to duck hunt.
Not sure how the guys will rate today's opener? My son I'm sure has some buddies out, young guys that I probably took out the first time they ever hunted ducks. My son I know was working this morning so I know he didn't go. Was getting guns and things lined up at his house last night though. So I'm sure they plan to hit the marsh sometime soon next couple days. Me I haven't got my federal duck stamp yet but it's a easy trip to the hardware store or Wally World. Both stores being between home and the boat landing..

I even sorted out some coyote traps that need cleaning and dying.. They been sitting now for last 3 years with mud on them. Sucks that I'm finally back in good enough shape to feel like hitting the trap line. Fur prices crash.

Mac

"Never Forget Which Way Is Up!"
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017, 08:56 AM

Doing some prospecting for rats in some remote places. Getting older and carting gear a half mile or so is harder but I enjoy trapping in these places. Rat sign is all over the board from good to none. I have not waded any local rivers to look for sign with all the high water we had earlier. Coon are dead all over the road so they are around but will wait a long time to start those. Our season opens on the 14th but won't set a coon trap until the first weekend in November.
Colors are changing and we are getting those lower 40s at night and mid 60s during the day which is really refreshing and invigorating weather. Much to do and little time so I will get done what I can and brood over all that i s not.

Bryce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 10:28 PM

I haven't found any rat houses and almost no bank dens since rats were "high dollar". They just haven't recovered here. I see a lot of mink sign. I think(and my experience has been) that mink aren't as dependent on the muskrat population as one would think.
I saw a set of mink tracks on a small spring just north of town this afternoon. They almost were the size of cat tracks. I'd love to set up for this old buck but why waste him.There is no real fur market for him and the local taxidermists can get all the mink they want.I hope he has spread his genes through the local population.
Bill
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-28-2017, 11:55 PM

Whew, tired!! Set rat traps in one large march and two sloughs today (Oct 28) Got 150 sets out, sign OK in two and good in one. Have not set a coon trap yet and our season has been open for 2weeks. Was planning to do a wilderness rat trapping trip this year too but the weather forecast scared us off and we started our season near home.
Don't know what the catch will be as I set heavy and move in a couple days. I am a couple months from 70 and I sure can notice that I can't stomp through a marsh like I used to! I have been walking with a 15 lbs. back pack 2-3 miles per day for 6 months to keep my legs stronger. It helps but bending over out of a canoe or pulling your feet out of much and or climbing through cattail bogs makes for a tired guy.

Bryce
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-29-2017, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblwi View Post
Whew, tired!! Set rat traps in one large march and two sloughs today (Oct 28) Got 150 sets out, sign OK in two and good in one. Have not set a coon trap yet and our season has been open for 2weeks. Was planning to do a wilderness rat trapping trip this year too but the weather forecast scared us off and we started our season near home.
Don't know what the catch will be as I set heavy and move in a couple days. I am a couple months from 70 and I sure can notice that I can't stomp through a marsh like I used to! I have been walking with a 15 lbs. back pack 2-3 miles per day for 6 months to keep my legs stronger. It helps but bending over out of a canoe or pulling your feet out of much and or climbing through cattail bogs makes for a tired guy.

Bryce
Good luck Bryce,keep us posted on how you are doing.
Our rat season opened yesterday.Unfortunately I am doing 60 plus hours a week keeping things going for my cousins print business while he is out of town.
I expect everything to be frozen over by the time he returns.
While I will miss the trapping,I sure get to look at and ship some awful nice wildlife prints.
Tom

Yes I am a trap supply dealer.
Yes I have Lenons Muskrat,coyote,fox,Bobcat,fisher and Marten--4 ounce lures.
(651)436-2539
Also Blackies Blend ,his entire line of 1 and 4
0z. lures and his baits .Also my MoundMaster beaver Lures.
Wiebe knives and fleshing tools ,Too.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 12:34 AM

Well it has been a long day. Checking was a lot of work but did get 61 rats and 1 coon. I have all the rats skinned and got them dried out pretty fast, but today was a good day for drying fur. Actually I have 60.5 rats as one of the really nice big ones was about 1/3rd eaten by a some predator. Two more checks in these areas then I move to other water.

Bryce
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 07:51 AM

Bryce we are not getting old but MATURE....lol.... legs arent the way they were 5 yrs ago, im almost 72. Boggy your missing alot, you should at LEAST set one or two traps even in a ditch by your house. Next yr might not come.... getting ready to set some mink sets, running yote sets now and doing well. Have let alot of coons out and watch those few pennies run away...lol. No wolves yet, but it just a matter of time... Keep us posted Bryce on how you are doing.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 12:56 PM

Back from the check. Pulled a dozen sets and will do the rest tomorrow. Not looking forward to all that lugging and carrying but that is what it is for me in these 3 marshes. I lost the drive entrance that I had for 20 years. Now I go down a long steep bank and cut about 60 yards of cattails to get to the edge, so all gear canoe and all is carried up and down the ditches and dragged to the open water. The other small slough has a steep bank to deal with also. Way down on catch today. 2 coons a mink and 10 rats. My setting heavy lowers percentage but should pull in two days instead of 3 I guess.

Bryce
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 07:37 AM

Thumbs up Mature reflections LOL

Those steep banks yrs back were nothing but now days one needs a younger person to help or we do it in stages huffy and puffing . But being outside and taking catches out of traps are worth it.... stories to tell....much better than sitting inside without any stories or exciting experiences. With low fur prices there arent many trappers out there and trap theft almost nonexistant

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page