What Ya Planning for the new year? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Default What Ya Planning for the new year?

I don't seem to be able to plan to far ahead any more, not so sure why. I did decide to put in for a bear tag for next fall. so If I'm lucky enough to draw a tag I'll be back at that again in 2018. I've also decide I'm going to throw my hat in the ring try to draw a Bobcat tag for next fall. My son got a bobcat in a coyote set this fall and there seems to be plenty around. Lots of friends with trail cams out for deer got cats on their cameras. So along with the possible bear tag I'm going try for cat tag too.
Other than waiting to tap maple trees come March I'm pretty much going into fishing mode now. I'll try fishing out on the ice or push the boat into any hole I find big enough.

What is everyone else up too?

Mac

"Never Forget Which Way Is Up!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 12:56 PM

Im done hunting but want to shoot 'junk' more, complain less, be kinder and do a little comfort 'camping' ala the 'safari' camp style.
Do as much as you can as long as you can, guys....life is good.

Last edited by gcrank1; 12-30-2017 at 01:23 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 01:12 PM

LOL Mark its 10 below here at 11:00 a.m.. I am just trying to keep warm.
I hope to get out this spring and trap some beaver..
Had a few customers for cable restraints and some for snares,so I have been making them.Cold weather has brought more orders for chopper mitts,they really like the elbow length ones. Funny part--moast of the orders are from New York and even Connecticut-don't think I have ever sent trapping supplies to that state.
Keep yourself safe on that ice.
Tom

Yes I am a trap supply dealer.
Yes I have Lenons Muskrat,coyote,fox,Bobcat,fisher and Marten--4 ounce lures.
(651)436-2539
Also Blackies Blend ,his entire line of 1 and 4
0z. lures and his baits .Also my MoundMaster beaver Lures.
Wiebe knives and fleshing tools ,Too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 01:14 PM

A new year and what to plan for or to try and accomplish?
1. Remove the last 40 stakes we have in the marsh for rats. With the cold fronts we have decided 7-8 inches of ice is more than we want to chisel out. I guess rat trapping is through for the winter. I wanted to get 300 plus but 260 is about where it will end. Two planned rat lines never worked out this year.
2. Get ready for sap collection. We are trying to find other buyers for sap as we are not finding solid markets for all the syrup we could make. Will probably add some taps this year.
3. Trapping related plans for 2018
a. Canoe line in the semi wilderness again
b. Find new permissions and different approach for coons. I am getting older and won't be able to hump it hard much longer. My biggest catch is 197, I want to break 200 once in my life. With lower prices there may be more coon later in the season to run that line. Nee to change a lot.
c. Build a home made skinning machine so that the work of pulling down the coons is less. It may be slower but easier. I don't like most of the current machines as they take up too much space and are geared up too fast.
d. Get my canine line running b4 deer season. I have waited until after deer season for 10 years now and running that line has been very ineffective and inefficient.
e. Go on a mission trip in Feb to help in the hurricane area of Texas.
f. Find a way to lose some more weight and keep it off.
g. Build another pasture for my beef cows

Bryce
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 06:56 PM

what I'm going to do is tell everybody "KISS MY ASS, I'M GOING FISHING"
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 09:37 PM

LOL with 20below temps and 40 below wind chills,I will pass on fishing.With the cold temps,guys are driving on the ice.
Tom

Yes I am a trap supply dealer.
Yes I have Lenons Muskrat,coyote,fox,Bobcat,fisher and Marten--4 ounce lures.
(651)436-2539
Also Blackies Blend ,his entire line of 1 and 4
0z. lures and his baits .Also my MoundMaster beaver Lures.
Wiebe knives and fleshing tools ,Too.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Tom no driving on the ice here for me just yet at least not unless I take the airboat. I did see a quad out there the other day and with this cold cars can't be far behind. It's making ice big time right now and the river is lowest I've seen in many years so that helps too. Actually closer to what I think of as normal winter water level, it's been so high for years now. I got my drysuit back from having some repairs made on it, new zipper. So if I get the chance I may just make an ice dive in January or February, just because. Haven't dove under the ice since February 2014 when I figured the cancer would end all that kinda playing for me. So got in just in case it was the last for me. Was in the water several times this summer and once in beginning of November on a sunken car, when I found out my suit leaked. Not so pleasant to have 40 degree water literally run down crack of your butt. LOL...Have that fixed so should be able to handle 33 degree water.. Can't dive under the ice in this weather though without being in a tent. No tent you turn to a Popsicle soon as you come out of the water, go back in won't thaw ya out either.
Last couple day I've just played inside like weather man said to and of course I'm on this goofy computer to much..

Mac

"Never Forget Which Way Is Up!"
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 10:09 AM

Well im going to work, fish, fish, fish, work....planning garden ahead this year and put some old leaves in garden to improve tilth. Get more yote land permission and try to explain to those deer hunters, that trapping doesnt scare deer......but you have hard headed deer hunters . So let them stew in their yotes on their land....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page