What am I doing wrong? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Gun Cabinet
Default What am I doing wrong?

Okay guys... Our trapping season opens December 1st. I'm planning to run a line again this year; Kathie's health allowing. But you remember last year my total catch was one ol' boar coon... And I caught him in a dirt hole coyote set!

As far as I could tell nothing ever even looked at or found my DP coon sets. I set them along creeks with plenty of coon sign. I put coon bait or tuna meat or both in and around the traps.

This year I'm gonna set some DP's around our deer feeders. Just like the years before, our trail cameras show we are covered up with coon.

Any advice, ANY ADVICE would be appreciated! Remember last year was my first time trapping in over 60 years!

Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute. Currently a Gentleman of Leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 02:20 PM

Location: THE REPUBLIC OF TEXAS or CENTRAL FREDONIAN REPUBLIC
Gun Cabinet

the guy to the south of me traps coon and uses only dry
bait in his dp's. dry cat food and corn and candy. uses
sweet extracts for scent, strawberry, anise, cherry, etc.
stuff you get on the baking aisle and can buy reasonable.

i guess easier for the coon to dig out and get it's paw hung.
after watching it, i would say that dp's are the way to go
if you are specifically after coon. i don't think they fight a dp
trap like they do a regular foot trap.

i've always used 160 bg's but i do get skunks and many possums.

after deer season, i'll have to get busy and make sets myself.
all the neighbors have neglected their varmint control duties,
and now the coyotes and cats have exploded. i'm afraid i'll
have to buy some larger traps eventually, because most all
mine are really too small for hard fighting larger animals.

The United States doesn't have a gun control problem.
We have a people control problem.

Honor the Texas flag;I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas,
one state under God, one and indivisible.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 09:26 AM

Coon are like people , varied tastes, but usually come to fall or winter they eat ANYTHING. Make sure you put at least two if not more traps where you find coon sign as they are still traveling as families. Try varied baits, and when a bait catches you some coon, use it but keep other baits on hand to change up. Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 12:11 AM

First thing I would try is putting some of whatever you have in your deer feeders in the DPs, evidently the coons like it.
I have had my best luck with the cheapest dry cat food I can find, and then drizzle some salmon oil around.
Jim

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by RdFx View Post
Make sure you put at least two if not more traps where you find coon sign as they are still traveling as families.
Great advice! I think I'll put 2 or 3 DP's around each of our feeders since they love that corn!

Which makes me wonder, if you catch one and it starts complaining about being caught, will the others high tail it outa there? If so, will they come back the next night?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friar_Tuck View Post
I have had my best luck with the cheapest dry cat food I can find, and then drizzle some salmon oil around.
I was thinking of trying dry cat food. And I thought I'd continue to drip some lure around. Which makes me think of...

Two more questions:
First, how much bait do you put in a DP trap? I saw one video where the guy filled one to overflowing. That just didn't look right to me... I was thinking of filling it to just below the trigger.
Second, is it possible to use too much bait and lure?

Bear with me boys; this 73 y.o. dog is trying to learn new tricks! And while I have always believed experience is the best teacher, I also believe what my Daddy used to say: "It'd a wise man who learns from the experience of others."

Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute. Currently a Gentleman of Leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 05:55 PM

My first thought was, too much natural food. But if they are hitting your corn feeder, there you go...try dry cat food, it works, canned sardines are pretty good in dirthole sets.

"...And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat." Acts 10:13
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 06:12 PM

wrap the pan with aluminum foil . even works better in a water set
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 12:19 PM

A long time family friend who worked in pest control his entire career gave me a recipe that works extremely well for me in the dog proofs for coon. $1 store dry salmon flavored cat food, bacon grease and anise. What seems to work the best is put the cat food into a gallon bag and crush it up (I use a mallet) mix everything together to a consistency of pizza dough. The bacon grease works as a binder and a water repellent and seems to hold to overall smell of the set longer. I only fill the DP just enough to cover the bottom. Give it a shot itís always been a winner for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 12:35 PM

Try peanut butter in the DP s , mix in a little shell corn ,rob a case knife from the wife s kitchin , to use it to get some below the trigger . put just a tad on the trap rim so they get a taste of it . Set two or three DPs in the same spot anywhere from 10 to 20 yards apart , coons run together much of the year.

Last edited by mcbammer; 12-08-2018 at 12:56 PM.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 06:48 PM

Gun Cabinet

I run floating catfish food sprayed with liquid smoke. I put it in old 16oz water bottles ,make it easy to pour into the dp. I like a marshmellow under the trigger, pour the bait on top, just a little over the trigger. towards breeding season, a little coon gland lure don't hurt.(I like blackies boars delight).

life member pa trappers,venango co. leader
life member v.f.w.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page