Scope on shotgun for squirrels. Crazy idea? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2014, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Default Scope on shotgun for squirrels. Crazy idea?

I use a single barrel shotgun for squirrel hunting, and my eyes are getting bad. Often, when I see that squirrel up there, and try to put the shotgun bead on it, everything gets kinda blurry, and my bead wanders. And sometimes, the squirrel is actually wandering.

I know it sounds insane, but has anybody ever considered putting a 2x or 2.5x compact scope on their shotgun for squirrel hunting? I think it would be clumbsy on a 12 gauge, but on a little .410 or 28 gauge or light 20 gauge, it might be pretty nifty.

I guess also that due to the limbs, leaves, etc., some careful thought would have to usde to pick out just the right recticle. A thin cross hair may be "lost" in the limbs. A thick cross hair may block out too much of the squirrel. Maybe a post and bead? Or maybe one of those scopes with cross hairs that have a round circle in the middle?

Thanks for all information and advice.

Mannyrock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2014, 01:46 PM

Default Re: Scope on shotgun for squirrels. Crazy idea?

I don't see a problem with it. Make it work for you. I have a scope on an 870 and put it on because I was getting tired of missing turkeys at 20 yards watching the wad go by them. They are DRT at 50yds but you have to put a fine bead on them out too 25.
Old 12-16-2014, 05:47 PM

Great idea. I want to try the Dead Ringer Duck Buster fiber optic sights.

"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife that you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." Fred Bear

Handi 243 working on full Bubbaization. American Classic Model 1377 & Ruger Air Hawk. Zebco, Shimano, Garcia & Shakespeare. Heddon, Rapala, Buck & Leatherman.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2014, 06:00 PM

A peep sight would sharpen the front sight and the squirrel too.
And a peep keeps the neat lines of a single shot intact.

Oh, make the front sight a fiber optic for low light situations.

HEAVEN HAS A WALL, A GATE, AND A STRICT IMMIGRATION POLICY.
H*LL HAS OPEN BORDERS. taken from fox news

DEMOCRATS/ABORTIONISTS SHOULD TAKE HEED OF THE FACT THAT BABIES ARE GOD'S MOST PRECIOUS.

MURDER BABIES AND YOU "WILL" BURN FOR ETERNITY.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:06 AM

A friend of mine put a scope on a 20 gauge o/u for picking squirrels off around his birdfeeder, odd looking but effective! My .410 of choice for red squirrels invading the yard is this one: http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/ph.../IMG_04142.JPG It also shoots slugs for the invading woodchucks!

Here is my original .410 slugger: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8250/8...3d83813a4d.jpg

Both are cut back to cylinder bore, so birdshot patterns are iffy past 15-18 yards, but they work on red squirrels pestering the house!

Scott B.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:13 AM

If it helps kill limb rats go for it. If you do how would you sight it in ? I think I would set up a good size target with an aiming point then shoot and adjust until I could shoot until a hole appears where the cross hairs meet.

If ya can see it ya can hit it !
Old 12-20-2014, 12:18 PM

Not crazy at all mannyrock. I know a guy that uses a low power scope on his shotgun for everything, including GROUSE. I don't think I'd want to hunt grouse with a scope sighted shotgun, but it works for him. Even if others said it was a crazy idea, if it keeps you hunting, who cares.

Bob
Old 09-29-2015, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca37
Not crazy at all mannyrock. I know a guy that uses a low power scope on his shotgun for everything, including GROUSE. I don't think I'd want to hunt grouse with a scope sighted shotgun, but it works for him. Even if others said it was a crazy idea, if it keeps you hunting, who cares.

Bob

MannyRock!

Did you do it? Put an optic sight on your squirrel gun?

If so, how'd work out?
Old 04-18-2016, 02:14 PM

I’m in the same boat, my eyes are sharp at distance but when I try to aim rather than point a shotgun I get that same “target drift” effect too. I have scoped a lot of the shotguns that I specifically aim with fine results.

One thing I did notice is that I feel the recoil much more after I did scope them. Believe it is a head position issue. I had one mild kicking 20 gauge that turned into a little beast when I first scoped her. I was getting nasty face slap because her straight stock was fine for shooting the bead but my cheek was off it a little to get proper eye position on the scope. I restocked her with a raised comb stock and she returned to being a kitten even with the biggest high brass turkey loads.
A red dot scope is more forgiving with parallax errors; you might look at one of those rather than a scope too. No magnification, but it puts the target and the reticule all in one focal plane.

We are all just stories in the end...make mine a good one!
Old 04-18-2016, 03:10 PM

From the "For what it's worth" department, I put a cheapo red dot sight on my pump 410 for just that reason. May not be the best answer, and it may look funny, but the squirrels don't laugh at it. They just crawl into the game pouch and take a nap.

Life's too short to waste any of it,

Gary

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in