Up land shot gun. - Page 5 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-24-2020, 07:55 AM

Gun Cabinet
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa&hisguns View Post
I had one of the early Franchi 48al 20s way back in the late 70s or early 80s. I love that gun but it ate itself up. The steel bolt galled the aluminum receiver to death. The aluminum receiver was not repairable. I have read recently where they got that all ironed out a long time ago and I have looked at a few here lately but haven't laid down the cash yet. They feel perfect in my hands and point so well.
It points very well for me as well. And at 5.5 pounds it's a nice carry too. If I could have found a Deluxe model with the Circassian walnut with a 24" barrel, I would have grabbed it, but all I was able to find was 26".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-24-2020, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkgael View Post
That is gorgeous! I'm definitely making a fowling piece next winter, unless the world goes to helll in a handbasket... I am leaning towards a Jim Chambers Pennsylvania Fowler kit, which will be my primary upland shotgun (see how I avert any more hijacking...)

Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the h-ell they please. --John Wayne
post #43 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-24-2020, 11:09 AM

What Spruce said!^^^^^^

I started out with an Ithaca M37 12 gauge with a 28" Mod barrel.....didn't know any better, it was my first new shotgun. That long barrel was replaced with a 20" cylinder bore slug barrel which 1) let me hit birds and 2) did not make birdburger out of the close range hits.

After I had worked for a couple of years I celebrated return to school with an Ithaca SKB 100 M & IC like Spruce's but in 12 gauge. I still have it. My buddies carried SKB 500 20 gauge o/u with open chokes. One had both barrels reamed cylinger.....hard chrome lining ruined the "smiths reamer.

Last edited by M134 Troll; 04-24-2020 at 11:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-24-2020, 06:31 PM

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 336ER View Post
It points very well for me as well. And at 5.5 pounds it's a nice carry too. If I could have found a Deluxe model with the Circassian walnut with a 24" barrel, I would have grabbed it, but all I was able to find was 26".
I have the AL48 in 12 gauge. It weighs a tad more than the 20. Fixed modified choke. I have never been happy with the way I shoot it...more my problem than the gunís. More often I take my old Winchester model 59 with its Winlite barrel. I have shot straight at Trap with that gun, something I have not been able to do with the Franchi.

Pete

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer.
Before you get into a discussion:
https://thebestschools.org/magazine/...noratioelenchi
post #45 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-24-2020, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M134 Troll View Post
What Spruce said!^^^^^^

I started out with an Ithaca M37 12 gauge with a 28" Mod barrel.....didn't know any better, it was my first new shotgun. That long barrel was replaced with a 20" cylinder bore slug barrel which 1) let me hit birds and 2) did not make birdburger out of the close range hits.

After I had worked for a couple of years I celebrated return to school with an Ithaca SKB 100 M & IC like Spruce's but in 12 gauge. I still have it. My buddies carried SKB 500 20 gauge o/u with open chokes. One had both barrels reamed cylinger.....hard chrome lining ruined the "smiths reamer.

I'm just the opposite, I have a tough time hitting anything with short barrels. I like a minimum of 28" barrels with break action guns and 26" minimum with anything else.

I picked up a 1956 vintage Ithaca M37 Featherlight in 16 gauge mod last year. It patterned fantastic and I was doing pretty well with it trap shooting so I wanted to use it for upland hunting but it had a problem with shells not ejecting and getting stuck in the chamber. I took it to a local gunsmith and he couldn't figure it out so I sent it to Ithaca last fall. They told me it needed a new barrel. I gave them the go ahead to rebarrel it but I still haven't gotten it back yet. I'm not sure if they shut down due to the virus or not but they definitely have a slow turnaround time.

Liberal Logic 101:
Americans shall be required to submit to a background check to exercise a right already guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment while any foreigner shall be allowed into America without submitting to a background check.
post #46 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-25-2020, 11:02 AM

For waterfowl or open field shooting such as pheasants a longer barrel is better. Gives a much smoother swing and the extra weight forward discourages stopping the swing.

Since most of my shooting is grouse and woodcock in heavy cover where almost all shots are less than 25 yards and there is really very little "swing" a shorter barrel with open choke works just fine. In that kind of cover a long barrel is a handicap when you're trying to get on a bird while standing in thick aspen shoots or other brush.

There's no one "best" gun for all kinds of shooting!
post #47 of 50 (permalink) Old 04-25-2020, 04:11 PM

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
In that kind of cover a long barrel is a when you're trying to get on a bird while standing in thick aspen shoots or other brush.
I know what you mean. Many is the time when I was out hunting through the huckleberries with my setter, Belle, that she would go on point less than 10 yards away and I could not see her.

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer.
Before you get into a discussion:
https://thebestschools.org/magazine/...noratioelenchi
post #48 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-18-2020, 07:13 PM

My favorite doesn't live with me anymore. My son has it. Ruger 20 Red Label IC and Mod.
post #49 of 50 (permalink) Old 05-18-2020, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles p View Post
My favorite doesn't live with me anymore. My son has it. Ruger 20 Red Label IC and Mod.
I have always wanted a Red Label in 20 gauge. Iíve just never had the opportunity to pick one up.

Jim

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those Who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

Thomas Jefferson
post #50 of 50 (permalink) Old 06-17-2020, 12:25 PM

First 20ga I've had in over 20 yrs. Really wanted it in 28ga but they didn't have one. So on another site a guy messaged me. He had a CZ Bobwhite in 28ga he'd sell me for $400. Went over and looked at it and gave him $400 right away. He threw in 10 bx's of 28ga field loads. The 20ga I recently got, I got with two box's of ammo brand new. With veterans discount I paid something like $643 for it. The ammo thrown in with the 28ga probably worth close to $200! Not to bad a deal! Not real sure what I'll use the 20ga for, maybe as a backup for the 28 or else pheasant's. Have a 16ga AyA for pheasants but the 20 is lighter and I'm old and lazy!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page