Graybeard Outdoors

Graybeard Outdoors (https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php)
-   Upland Game and Bird Hunting (https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/32-upland-game-bird-hunting.html)
-   -   Up land shot gun. (https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/32-upland-game-bird-hunting/271922-up-land-shot-gun.html)

alleyyooper 10-04-2016 06:37 AM

Up land shot gun.

What do you like the best, for up land hunting, SXS OU pump or a old single shot. Why do you like it?

For years my favorite was a wards western field 16ga pump. I liked it because it was fairly light and with the poly choke could change the pattern to what the birds were doing flushing close or farther out.

But I discovered a short 26 inch barrel Beretta silver snipe OU and have never looked back. Love this fixed choke mod and imp cyl shot gun.
I own 12ga pumps 20ga pumps and several 12ga OU's but the little Beretta is still after all these years my favorite.

:) Al

spruce 10-04-2016 07:32 AM

Re: Up land shot gun.

For years my go-to upland (grouse and woodcock) gun has been an Ithaca SKB 100 in 20 gauge, IC/M.

My picks would be:

#1 - SxS 20 gauge choked IC/M or Skeet 1/Skeet2

#2 - O/U, same as above

#3 - Pump or semi-auto 20 or 16 (if on a true 16ga frame size).

I much prefer my upland guns to have a tang safety - much quicker and easier to manipulate than a trigger guard cross bolt safety.

doublebass73 10-04-2016 11:33 AM

I use a single shot 16 gauge H&R with modified choke. My upland hunting is done in thick woods and skid roads so I never get more than one shot anyway. I'm usually in mountainous terrain as well so the light weight is nice to carry, it only weighs 5 lbs. 10 oz.

curteric 10-04-2016 03:07 PM

Grouse- Citori 16 ga, 26 in tubes, choked skeet and skeet. 1 oz #8's
Pheasant- Citori 16 ga, 28 in tubes, choked light mod and mod, 1oz, #5's.
Both are on a true 16 ga frame, and weigh less than 6 lb, 8 oz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

charles p 10-05-2016 05:36 PM

As a kid I had a 16 ga Rem Sportsman 58. It served me well for 20 years. Sold it. Later picked up a new 20 ga OU which served me 20 years. Son took it home with him five years ago and a full case of #8 shells. Now I only hunt dove on occasion and weight is not a big factor. I have a 2 3/4 IC barrel that I put on a 12 ga 1100 3" mag receiver. The heavier receiver dampens recoil a little. Still miss my little 20 ga OU but at age 70 I wouldn't use it much. Had a Fox Sterlingworth once. Nice SXS I wish I had back.

atllaw 10-05-2016 05:57 PM

20 Ga. SXS, 26 inch barrels w/IC-M chokes, preferably a side-lock, splinter forearm.

I've always loved double guns. To me, nothing else feels as good or points as naturally. Now that may all be in my mind, but that doesn't mean it's not real to me! :)

JPShelton 10-07-2016 08:46 PM

I shoot Yildiz SPZ ME over and under guns with 28" barrels -one in 28 gauge for quail, the other in 12 gauge for pheasant.

The 28 is a tick under 6 pounds. The 12 tips the scale at 6lbs, 9 oz. Both are threaded for choke tubes.

I like these for their fit to my body -fit as if bespoke with zero alteration required. I like their light carry weight. Barrels are chrome lined on the inside and black satin chrome finished on the outside and I like that because its highly scratch resistant and adds a degree of weather-proofness. They also use selective pure mechanical triggers with no inertia block for resetting for the second shot. Both of my teenagers have their own 28 gauge SPZ ME's and all four in my household came with properly regulated barrels. They use the simple "Brescia" action design, as many F.A.I.R. guns do.

Darkgael 10-09-2016 06:16 AM

I hunt ruffed grouse and Pheasant up on the North Mt game lands in Sullivan Co. PA. It ain't flat. I like my upland guns to be light and comfortable to carry all day.
There are three guns that I use throughout the season. One is a flintlock fowler made for me by Mike Brooks....16 gauge, 42" barrel and six pounds four.
The second is an old Winchester model 59 - 12 gauge and just six pounds. The third is a little ATI O/U in .410 with 26" barrels and five pounds 10.
Pete

eastbank 10-09-2016 06:26 AM

i have two browning up land specials, a 26" 20 ga and a 12ga with 24" barrels. i hunt ring necks over dogs with the 12ga and grouse with the 20ga. for rabbits i use a browning double barrel bss sporter 20ga. at close to 73 i have gone to lighter weight firearms. as a youth i carried a old 9 lbs double barrel and thought it was the cats meow. eastbank.

hwb13 10-10-2016 10:25 PM

15 Attachment(s)
for the last 3 years this has been my go to bird gun. she is and 1882 saxton 12 ga w/ 2 1/2" chambers. because of her age i keep a new stoger sxs in the truck just in case. have added a 16 ga stevens and a iver johnson hercules grade 12 ga to the stable but haven't had time to shot either yet. my wife shots a cz sxs in 12 as well.