How about a few bird dog photo's! - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Default How about a few bird dog photo's!

My Red Setter, Stormy, pointing two pigeons I had planted for him.

Flushed the first and he's watching it fly away.

Then while the first bird was leaving I flushed the second and he's watching it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 07:02 PM

Beautiful dog! There's nothing like watching a good dog work.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 11:42 AM

Sorry to ask, but is your red setter the same as an Irish Setter? It seems to me that when I was into pointing dogs 30 years ago, all of the Irish Setters in the U.S. were drooling idiotic show dogs, with zero hunting traits left.

I was also reading back then, that a kennel somewhere in the U.S. was importing extremely good hunting English Setters from England, and slowly breeding them back into the Irish Setter line, to get good hunting Irish Setters again.

Of course, the show dog people were outraged, saying they were polluting the purebred Irish Setter lines.

Mannyrock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 01:17 PM

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyrock View Post
Sorry to ask, but is your red setter the same as an Irish Setter? It seems to me that when I was into pointing dogs 30 years ago, all of the Irish Setters in the U.S. were drooling idiotic show dogs, with zero hunting traits left.
Geeeze Manny! Now you got us both thinking about our pointing dog days!

The Irish Setters were pretty much the way you describe back 40 - 45 years ago also. I had one that fit your description exactly. I didn't have him long...

But later, at Ft. Rucker, Alabama, I used to bird hunt with a guy who owned a pointing Irish. We would run the GWP I mentioned in the other thread and him in a brace hunting quail.

He wasn't bad, a lot faster then my dog, but there was one problem. One day both dogs crashed through a cockleburr patch. When they came out the other side my Wirehair just shook most of the burrs off. But you can imagine what that Irish, with his long, thick, silky, fine hair looked like!

Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute. Currently a Gentleman of Leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 07:09 PM

I had two English pointers.

One was a huge lemon and brown, big running female, out of the Elhew line. Absolutely impossible to keep up with her on foot. She would run across a 300 yard wide muddy plowed field, and point a bird on the other side. She would hold point like a statue, but by the time that you slogged across that field on foot, the bird would be gone, and you would be shaking and drenched in sweat.

The other was a small, scrawny male, liver spotted named Dough, who ambled along slowly and sniffed absolutely everything. Would not run even medium distances. But, he pointed every bird he ever got within distance of, and held locked solid.

Three years of those two dogs were enough. I gave them away for free to someone I trusted, rather than selling them to a stranger.

By the time I left Memphis 10 years ago, it was impossible to find decent land to hunt (there was plenty of land, plowed right up to the road pavement, with no birds), and the field trial crowd was rich and very snotty.

Wish I had been around in the 50s when the hunting was really great.

Mannyrock
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 07:56 PM

A little off topic, but worth a mention - If you like dogs in general, and history, and in this particular case an English Pointer and WWII in the Pacific theater, then a great read is the book "No Better Friend" by Robert Weintraub.

It's about life and death in Japanese prison camps and how a man and a dog kept each other alive. I found it a fascinating read.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atllaw View Post
Geeeze Manny! Now you got us both thinking about our pointing dog days!

The Irish Setters were pretty much the way you describe back 40 - 45 years ago also. I had one that fit your description exactly. I didn't have him long...

But later, at Ft. Rucker, Alabama, I used to bird hunt with a guy who owned a pointing Irish. We would run the GWP I mentioned in the other thread and him in a brace hunting quail.

He wasn't bad, a lot faster then my dog, but there was one problem. One day both dogs crashed through a cockleburr patch. When they came out the other side my Wirehair just shook most of the burrs off. But you can imagine what that Irish, with his long, thick, silky, fine hair looked like!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 09:00 PM

Gun Cabinet

My GWP worked slow and close in. Exactly what I wanted. The only trouble was the Germans bred them to be an all-around hunting dog and all around he was! He was great on quail, but would also point rabbits, turtles and rattlesnakes! And he would definitely run deer... But he was a great pet, it's said they hunt to please their masters, and he was very good with the young kids I had at the time.

When I got him there were only around 1500 of the breed registered in the FDSB. And ya know what, his line may still be around. When I was at Ft. Benning I had to attend a reception at a BG's quarters. Seems to me he was the CG of the Ranger Training command but I may be wrong. Anyway, there was a kennel in his backyard and low and behold there was a GWP in it! :

So while making small talk with the general's wife, I mentioned I had one also. When she found out it was a male she ran off and got her husband. His was a female, in heat, and he had been unable to find a stud to breed her. Well ol' Gunner was happy to undertake the task. With positive results I might add.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyrock View Post
By the time I left Memphis 10 years ago, it was impossible to find decent land to hunt ... Wish I had been around in the 50s when the hunting was really great.
It's the same way in Jawja now. There used to be plenty of land to hunt and plenty of quail. No so anymore. Like you say; impossible.

Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute. Currently a Gentleman of Leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 08:49 PM

Talking

I have had the pleasure of hiunting behind a HUNTING DOG. I didn't own her my brother did, she was a Springer Spanial and would hunt alsorts of game from birds to Rabbits and squirrels and retrive same.

My self I have had a Springer but not in the class with my brothers but a good fellow just the same. A vizla was as close as I ever came to owning a hunting dog in the class with my brothers.

Today I have a Ryman style English setter and she is a bird hunting dog. She will point deer and let me know they are around she also points song birds along with game birds. Rabbits and squirrels she would give the finger to if she had fingers, a regular snob dog.

Isn't there a hunting dog section farther down?

Al

Garden View Apiaries, where the view is as sweet as the honey.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 09:42 PM

As a teen, I had a Flat Coat Retriever that was the smartest dog I've ever seen.
The picture below is not my old rover, but that's what he looked like.
I miss him.
Attached Images

HEAVEN HAS A WALL, A GATE, AND A STRICT IMMIGRATION POLICY.
H*LL HAS OPEN BORDERS. taken from fox news

DEMOCRATS/ABORTIONISTS SHOULD TAKE HEED OF THE FACT THAT BABIES ARE GOD'S MOST PRECIOUS.

MURDER BABIES AND YOU "WILL" BURN FOR ETERNITY.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page