Birding Binocular recommendations? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 05:46 AM Thread Starter

Default Birding Binocular recommendations?

I'd like to have a good pair of binoculars for birding, preferably under 200 dollars. I found a Nikon looks great in this article https://opticsaddict.com/birding-binoculars/, any tips on what to look for in a pair of them?
I want to be able to explore the forest early in the morning or late in the afternoon, so it would be good to gather light.

Last edited by karaRobert; 07-14-2019 at 08:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 06:05 AM

best advice youll get is to pm or call doug at cameraland.com and tell him your budget and let he recommend something. You can find links in the optics for sale section to contact him. Hes never steered me wrong and allways has some closeout or discontinued model that you would have paid about twice as much for if you bought it last year.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 09:52 PM

Donít forget a bird book for the area your in. And a small log to keep track of the birds you identify.

Vortex seems to be the latest word in outdoor optics along with Hawk.

Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE, Trump for 2020
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 08:33 PM

Although I find it hard to pass up older japanese binoculars for 10-20 bucks at garage sales...Tasco made a 7x35 wide angle that was pretty good.....my advice to purchasers of new glasses is to save until you can spend $450-500 on a pair of 7 x 35 or 8 x 42. You'll get better optics and more durable mechanics. Look at the cost amortized over 20 years and it won't hurt so much. A lower powered quality glass will provide higher detail definition than higher powered inexpensive glass.

We purchased Nikon Monarch 7 and Vortex Viper 8 x 42 glasses for about $450 last year and have been very happy with them.

Occasionally one can find a top end binoc used at a reputable shop. I've seen older pre and post-war German glasses that were very sharp, but not as good as current glass for color and brightness. From time to time I see individual focus surplus military binocs for sale; most are beat up but some are in remarkable condition. As Lloyd Smale noted, Cameraland may have some last years models or trade-ins that have been discounted.

If you're looking at used glasses, look in the front objectives to see if there is any debris floating around or fungi on the inside of the lenses, look at parallel lines like venetian blinds while you change the interocular distance....if the lines are offset then a prism is not aligned. Make sure the main focus and right eye/individual adjustments are smooth but not loose.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 11:44 AM

Default Birding Binocular recommendations?

I have to agree on saving for a while. I went through this about 1year ago. The monarch 7as well as that vortex were on my short list.

I ended up getting the Zeiss Terre for essentially the same price. I purchased from WalMart online and saved $20 roughly pus free shipping to the store. Picking up at the store was great, no fear of porch pirates. I examined them before I left, knew they were what I ordered, and were not damaged.

For the $200 budget check Steiner 8x30 military marine. Iíve used mine for 20 years and continue to do so.

I need a kinder gentler machine gun

**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Last edited by Empty Quiver; 08-07-2019 at 11:47 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page