Wyoming sage grouse - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Default Wyoming sage grouse

Went out yesterday for the opener to an area not far from town. Walked my behind off until about 2:00 and finally found a few birds. The shotgun is my late father's Iver Johnson single shot that I had the choke reamed out to light modified. I snagged some old Federal paper factory loads 1 1/8 oz. #6's last year at a local pawn shop, which I felt was fitting for the age of the shotgun.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019 a.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	234370  

Name:	2019 b.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	164.3 KB
ID:	234372  

Name:	2019c.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	181.0 KB
ID:	234374  

"Endeavor to persevere..." Chief Dan George from The Outlaw Josie Wales
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 09:16 PM

That's a beautiful gun, I love the combo with the old shells as well.

Liberal Logic 101:
Americans shall be required to submit to a background check to exercise a right already guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment while any foreigner shall be allowed into America without submitting to a background check.

H&R family: Topper 88 16 Gauge Mod, Pardner 16 gauge Full, Model 480 Topper Jr .410 Full, Handi .300 AAC Blackout
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 10:17 PM

That's a nice old gun for sure. And nothing quite matches the smell of a fired paper hull!

I still have my dad's IJ 20 gauge - first shotgun I ever hunted with, and the only one he ever owned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 10:40 PM

Sounds like a great day for you and your Dad's memories. He would be proud, I'm sure.

Used to hunt Beaver Rim for Sage Hens. Just me and my old Retreiver. Drove a bit and walked a bit. Usually found them crossing the two track trails while driving. Also used to go up above Lander to Worthen Meadows after work looking for Blue Grouse. Lots of other places in the area. Hope you have time to go and enjoy before Elk Season starts.

Take care,

Dave

All of my favorite creatures have white bottoms.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Dave View Post
Sounds like a great day for you and your Dad's memories. He would be proud, I'm sure.

Used to hunt Beaver Rim for Sage Hens. Just me and my old Retreiver. Drove a bit and walked a bit. Usually found them crossing the two track trails while driving. Also used to go up above Lander to Worthen Meadows after work looking for Blue Grouse. Lots of other places in the area. Hope you have time to go and enjoy before Elk Season starts.

Take care,

Dave
Coincidentally, that's where I found these birds. Probably not as many birds now as when you were here (when was that, BTW?). I hunt blues near Worthen Meadows, but I don't hunt elk anymore. Both my daughters are adults and gone and the wife doesn't eat red meat, so I'm happy hunting birds and deer and antelope. Have two antelope licenses this years, so if I do my part that should be enough meat for me for the year. In addition, the elk hunting is not like it use to be. I may be stepping on someone's toes here, but the increased use of ATV's over the past 30 years has ruined the elk hunting for me. Plus, many hunters from around the state are hunting around here rather than near Yellowstone and GTNP as we haven't many grizzlies...yet. It's kind of a circus IMO.

"Endeavor to persevere..." Chief Dan George from The Outlaw Josie Wales
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomerdog View Post
Coincidentally, that's where I found these birds. Probably not as many birds now as when you were here (when was that, BTW?). I hunt blues near Worthen Meadows, but I don't hunt elk anymore. Both my daughters are adults and gone and the wife doesn't eat red meat, so I'm happy hunting birds and deer and antelope. Have two antelope licenses this years, so if I do my part that should be enough meat for me for the year. In addition, the elk hunting is not like it use to be. I may be stepping on someone's toes here, but the increased use of ATV's over the past 30 years has ruined the elk hunting for me. Plus, many hunters from around the state are hunting around here rather than near Yellowstone and GTNP as we haven't many grizzlies...yet. It's kind of a circus IMO.
I left in the 90's. There was talk of putting the sage grouse on the endangered species list recently. I'm sure there aren't as many now as then. I still come back when I can draw a license but that's not every year. I remember my last year hunting as a resident. It's a real privilege to be able to buy your license over the counter for a reasonable cost.

All of my favorite creatures have white bottoms.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page