Send a message via Yahoo to 45-70.gov
Default Re: Anyone use a single shot?

i think most game is taken with a ''single'' ''shot''

whether or not they have more bullets in the gun is irrelevant

when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the history of mankind
free choice and equality can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any democrat voters ''they sat and watched them die''...they told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 12:23 PM

It seems like these days I'm rarely hunting waterfowl for myself. Whomever I'm taking, I like to position them downwind and in the pocket so that by the time I have shot, they should be right in front of the other guys, then I call it. Usually I watch what unfolds and look for cripples and butt-shots that might be tough for the dog to find and try to finish them off.

They reality that cripples and butt-shots are common in waterfowl, particularly in bigger waterfowl like late mallards and canadas is why I wouldn't use a single shot. All the talk about "picking your shot" or "making sure they are in tight" is neat, but it's not reality. Everyone makes bad shots, even up close, and it seems shady to me to not be able to follow those shots up. If you want to shoot once just do so voluntarily, but have the ability to make followup shots if needed...
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 12:36 PM

Many years ago I found myself with wonderful duck hunting opportunities and a broken gun. I did have a Stevens 20 gauge with a 3 inch chamber and full choke barrel in the closet. I really enjoyed duck hunting with this gun and killed more ducks with it than with my old Browning. I found it fit me better. Also, there was not a better snipe gun extant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 08:05 PM

Most of my waterfowl hunting has been on the fly out and return. Having as many shells as possible on hand is the only way to limit out. A single will get the job done but filling the freezer will take all season.

Wal-Mart where the discriminating white trash shop.
Good luck and good shooting. John B
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvymax
Most of my waterfowl hunting has been on the fly out and return. Having as many shells as possible on hand is the only way to limit out. A single will get the job done but filling the freezer will take all season.
Not too worried about filling the freezer since I'm the only one in the house that will touch it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 09:44 PM

I use a single shot 20 guage baikal once in a while, not hardcore duckhunting but jumping beaver ponds I come across while in the woods hunting grouse. I hunted for a few years with a 20 guage cil single shot when I first started hunting ducks and did as good as I do now with a 12 guage semi, I think my aim was alot better knowing I had only one shot.

I think you will be fine with a single shot, lots of time down the road to upgrade to a repeater if you choose.

I often hunted ducks with that 20 guage cil, no camo clothing, no deacoys and no call, just rubber boots and a dog. Didnt do as good as some hardcore duck hunters with thousands of dollars worh of gear, but I seldom came home empty handed, and I think I had as much fun as anyone else with less work when the hunts were over with no deacoys to pick up.
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 02:06 AM

Being out there and doing it is what is important. What you use is secondary. Your situation will change, until it does just make do with what you have. Good luck and have fun.
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 08:56 PM

I hunted everything with a single shot way back when i started..then jumped into pump guns for the last 25 years. My great uncle left me his duck gun about 5 years ago and i have used it exclusively ever since for ducks. Is a 1950's Kessler 16Ga pump and i use that hevishot for old classic guns..bismuth i think, in it. Has a very tight choke and is a single shot that happens to store a few extra shells basically, i get off one good shot, then reload at about the same speed of a man whos practiced on his single shot. Its not fast..but i like it.

Wheres John Galt?
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 05:55 PM

I don't use a single because steel shot is so ineffcient at clean kills. I'm old enough to remember using lead shot; night and day difference in lethality. I am a pond jumper only. My 870 Express with Mod tube is my duck gun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 01:46 AM

I too am a pond jumper.
As a kid I used a Stevens single shot and got ducks. Now I own singles, side by sides, pump and semi auto shotguns.
For waterfowl I do favor my Stevens 311 SxS or my Mossberg 930.

When Abram heard that his relative had been taken captive, he called out the 318 trained men born in his household and went in pursuit as far as Dan.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page