Anyone use a single shot? - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Default Anyone use a single shot?

I'm going to give duck hunting a try this season. I can't really justify going out and buying another pump for something I won't do all that often, and my pardner is the only shotgun I have that will shoot steel safely. Does anyone use a single shot anymore for waterfowl?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 09:27 AM

Default Re: Anyone use a single shot?

I use my 16 gauge single shot. I'm not a serious waterfowl hunter, I just go down to the local pond and try to jump shoot ducks and geese but I take some every year with that 16 gauge. The single shot does force you to choose your shots wisely. I use #4 Hevi shot 1 1/4 oz. and my best shot has been a goose at 45 yards. I would never shoot that far with steel, though. Keep your shots close with steel and be disciplined enough to let them fly if the shot isn't a good one.

Liberal Logic 101:
Americans shall be required to submit to a background check to exercise a right already guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment while any foreigner shall be allowed into America without submitting to a background check.

H&R family: Topper 88 16 Gauge Mod, Pardner 16 gauge Full, Model 480 Topper Jr .410 Full, Handi .300 AAC Blackout
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublebass73
I use my 16 gauge single shot. I'm not a serious waterfowl hunter, I just go down to the local pond and try to jump shoot ducks and geese but I take some every year with that 16 gauge. The single shot does force you to choose your shots wisely. I use #4 Hevi shot 1 1/4 oz. and my best shot has been a goose at 45 yards. I would never shoot that far with steel, though. Keep your shots close with steel and be disciplined enough to let them fly if the shot isn't a good one.
If bismuth was cheaper I'd take my old model 12 out. I started hunting with a single shot and shoot a lot of trap, I know trap is a little different but I've become pretty disciplined on making 1 shot count.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 03:48 PM

Before I moved away from a waterfowl paradise (southern Illinois) I used a 20ga jc higgins single.
of course it was with lead shot back then.

HEAVEN HAS A WALL, A GATE, AND A STRICT IMMIGRATION POLICY.
H*LL HAS OPEN BORDERS. taken from fox news

DEMOCRATS/ABORTIONISTS SHOULD TAKE HEED OF THE FACT THAT BABIES ARE GOD'S MOST PRECIOUS.

MURDER BABIES AND YOU "WILL" BURN FOR ETERNITY.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 04:00 PM

I am a dedicated Duck hunter and spend as much time as possible chasing them. If you are just going to jump shoot one time then the single shot will work. If you intend on putting much effort into hunting them and you actually want to kill some then you'll need a repeater. Duck hunting required a lot of effort and expense. You might only see one flock of birds all day. You don't want to limit yourself to one shot opportunity. With a repeater you have the ability to shoot at more than one bird in a flock or for a quick follow up if you miss. (You will miss. A lot.)
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 04:27 PM

Send a message via AIM to mcwoodduck

Any shot gun will work for water fowel.
I prefer a repeater especally with Steel shot.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

There's a cabelas opening up (not sure when) about 3 hours from me. If it's this year then I'll see if they have bismuth(?) and take my old model 12 out

post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 04:43 PM

I have always kept one in the boat as a "cripple shooter" in case someone jumped in the boat without a gun. Plus its rough service and well suited to the platform.

CW

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member

I PROUDLY SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box. and the THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN!
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 04:08 PM

Years ago I used a New England arms single 10 gague for a while. Worked for me. I was either river shooting or jump shooting over stock tanks.

Or you can as most prefer these days, get a auto loader and spray & pray.

Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE, Trump for 2020
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 04:24 PM

I took a Super Black Eagle to Canada hunting duck and goose after a day in the fields it was a single shot.

If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page