Successful wood duck hunt - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

Default Successful wood duck hunt

I hunted this morning with both of my labs. I ended up shooting two wood duck hens, the first one was about 40 yards out and landed in the lily pads. I sent my 3 year old lab for that one since he's much more experienced. The 2nd one flew right into my decoys, I got up to shoot and hit it just as it was taking off. It was perfect for my 1 year old lab's first bird in a real hunting situation (she was too young to hunt last season). She didn't see it land and she's not fully trained on blind retrieves yet but I managed to line her to it and she found it no problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mabel.jpeg
Views:	7
Size:	171.9 KB
ID:	234876  

Name:	Harvey.jpeg
Views:	6
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	234878  

Liberal Logic 101:
Americans shall be required to submit to a background check to exercise a right already guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment while any foreigner shall be allowed into America without submitting to a background check.

H&R family: Topper 88 16 Gauge Mod, Pardner 16 gauge Full, Model 480 Topper Jr .410 Full, Handi .300 AAC Blackout
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 05:51 AM

Beautiful!!! Thanks for sharing.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 03:17 PM

Yes...thanks for sharing! Great pics! But inquiring minds want to know:

1) the shotgun used, gauge etc.

2) the particular load used as well.

"Endeavor to persevere..." Chief Dan George from The Outlaw Josie Wales
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomerdog View Post
Yes...thanks for sharing! Great pics! But inquiring minds want to know:

1) the shotgun used, gauge etc.

2) the particular load used as well.
Agreed! I did leave out some important details.

1) I used a Remington Versa Max 12 gauge, left handed model. This is my first season hunting with it and I love it so far. I've been shooting trap all summer with it and it works perfectly. It cycles very light trap loads equally as well as 3.5" steel waterfowl loads.

2) Load was 3.5", 1 3/8 oz. steel #2 at 1550 fps Remington Sportsman 12 gauge. I'm not a big fan of recoil but this load patterns the best with my modified choke. It's overkill for woodies but I bring it anywhere that I might see geese and bigger ducks as well. The recoil is actually very manageable out of the Versa Max. That load has less felt recoil than some 3" loads have out of my son's Mossberg 500.

I went out again with a buddy of mine this morning. He missed his shots but I managed to get my limit of 2 black ducks and also a mallard hen. The ducks all landed pretty far out so I had to send my older lab to get them. I was hoping one of us would get an easy shot for my younger lab to do another retrieve, hopefully next time. She's pretty sensitive and not that confident yet so I'm not pushing her to go beyond her skill level until she has some more training under her belt.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Harvey_Mabel_10-6-19.jpeg
Views:	7
Size:	239.9 KB
ID:	234926  

Liberal Logic 101:
Americans shall be required to submit to a background check to exercise a right already guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment while any foreigner shall be allowed into America without submitting to a background check.

H&R family: Topper 88 16 Gauge Mod, Pardner 16 gauge Full, Model 480 Topper Jr .410 Full, Handi .300 AAC Blackout
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 10:35 AM

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublebass73 View Post
I managed to get my limit of 2 black ducks and also a mallard hen. ...
This caught my attention right away! I don't hear mention of Black Ducks much anymore and I have heard that their numbers are decreasing. Something about their interbreeding with Mallard hens.

Then I saw that you are in New Hampshire and figured that the location must have something to do with it! When I lived in Massachusetts most of the ducks I saw when jump shooting were Black Ducks and Mallards. I got real fond of those big Black Ducks and it always greaves me when I hear the species is doing poorly.

Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute. Currently a Gentleman of Leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by atllaw View Post
This caught my attention right away! I don't hear mention of Black Ducks much anymore and I have heard that their numbers are decreasing. Something about their interbreeding with Mallard hens.

Then I saw that you are in New Hampshire and figured that the location must have something to do with it! When I lived in Massachusetts most of the ducks I saw when jump shooting were Black Ducks and Mallards. I got real fond of those big Black Ducks and it always greaves me when I hear the species is doing poorly.
You'll be glad to know that Black ducks are doing really well to the point where they increased the daily limit from 1 to 2. Mallards are now doing worse though. They decreased the daily limit from 4 to 2.

Liberal Logic 101:

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 05:26 PM

Thanks for sharing the pics. You've got a couple of nice looking Labs! Must be a real pleasure to watch them work.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spruce View Post
Thanks for sharing the pics. You've got a couple of nice looking Labs! Must be a real pleasure to watch them work.
Thanks! I'm sure having a lot of fun with them. I hate disappointing them when I miss. My older dog is trained for upland now too so I'm looking forward to getting out in the woods with him soon.

Liberal Logic 101:

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 01:35 AM

Down right nice. Git'er done!
I'm heading out next weekend for a little pond jumping.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page