Has anyone ever killed a grizzly bear with a handgun ? - Page 3 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-31-2003, 01:21 PM

Default Has anyone ever killed a grizzly bear with

I've read several articles (back in the old days!) when Larry Kelly of Mag-na-port used to hunt Griz with a SBH stalker. Actually, he hunted all kinds of game all over the world to promote handgun hunting and Mag-na-port. This was back when, if you memtioned that you hunted with a handgun, people would look at you crazy. There was a book out called Hunting with Handguns, by Larry Kelly and J.D. Jones with some great stories in it. It's no longer in print, but great reading if you can get a copy. You will especially like the story when a grizzly decides to enter the cabin where Larrry and his Guide are staying. As I remember it took 17 shots (rifle and pistol, don't remember what rifle, but .44 mag pistol) to get the bear back out of the cabin. Then he walked about 50 yards and died. I believe I would rather have a .454 or .475. 44 Man

H&R 158 30-30, Savage 219 30-30 plus 30-30AI barrel, Win M70 featherwt 30-06, DPMS .556
I hear people say, a loving God would not send anyone to **** and I agree; you make that choice yourself!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-31-2003, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 Man
I've read several articles (back in the old days!) when Larry Kelly of Mag-na-port used to hunt Griz with a SBH stalker. Actually, he hunted all kinds of game all over the world to promote handgun hunting and Mag-na-port. This was back when, if you memtioned that you hunted with a handgun, people would look at you crazy. There was a book out called Hunting with Handguns, by Larry Kelly and J.D. Jones with some great stories in it. It's no longer in print, but great reading if you can get a copy. You will especially like the story when a grizzly decides to enter the cabin where Larrry and his Guide are staying. As I remember it took 17 shots (rifle and pistol, don't remember what rifle, but .44 mag pistol) to get the bear back out of the cabin. Then he walked about 50 yards and died. I believe I would rather have a .454 or .475. 44 Man
I read Larry's account of the bear and the cabin. As I recall he had very good results on other bears using hard cast bullets out of his 44 Mag. The cabin bear was shot with jacketed hollow points. Larry had high praise for the 44 Mag, but not when loaded with JHP's.

Greg

NRA Endowment Life Member
the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
Second Amendment, U.S. Constitution (1791)
post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 10:01 PM

Default I took one several years ago on the Alaskan Peninsula...

I used a .375/284 XP-100 pistol...I ran out of rounds and finished him with my .454 Casull.

Hunt with the wind in your face, honesty in all your dealings with others, and forget not to praise our Creator for yet another day...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 10:34 PM

Speaking of pi$$ed off bears...

Dear Dillon Precision,

My name is Rod Black. Last month I was fishing with my brother at Seneca Lake Arizona, on the San Carlos Indian Reservation. Just after midnight on the 16th of July, 2002, a bear wandered into my camp and attacked me while I slept. He clawed my head open, severing a small artery, and bit me on the back before throwing me off my cot onto the ground.

I found myself on the dirt, in the dark, with blood gushing and literally squirting from my wounds. I was in a state of absolute panic and horror. I had a Ruger Vaquero by my cot, but in the chaos and confusion I could locate neither the revolver nor my glasses, and could see or hear nothing. I was paralyzed by fear and terrified that the bear would come back from out of the darkness and resume his attack on me at any moment.

After what seemed like an eternity, but was perhaps less than a minute, my brother could see the dark form of the bear moving and began to scream. I realized that we were going to die if I didn't come to my senses, and I fell to the ground and located my shooter in the dirt. I asked my brother to try to make it to the pickup and turn on the lights. (He could not find the flashlight, as the bear had knocked it on the ground before the attack.) Without my glasses and in such darkness, I was nearly blind.

After repeatedly asking my brother to go, he somehow made it to the truck and turned on the lights. (Later, I realized that by asking my brother to go into the dark to turn on the lights, I might have sent him to his death - that will haunt me forever.)

The lights came on and revealed my worst nightmare: Not three to four feet away and looking straight at me was the bear. The bogeyman. The thing that goes bump in the dark. This thing had come to kill me and eat my flesh that night... and I knew it.

When he turned for an instant to look at the light, I wiped the blood from my eyes and fired my first shot from the caliber .44-40 Vaquero. I was painfully aware that if my first round was not a good one, I may not have a chance for another. In all my life, I will never forget the sound of the blast or the acrid smell of the gunpowder. The bear was knocked from his feet and hit the ground hard. He thrashed about while I fired again and again - and cursed him while I did - until I was hammering on empty cartridges.

After it was over I was transported part-way down the mountain by off-duty police officer Goode, of the San Carlos Police Department, who had been camping near by and heard the screaming and shooting. I was flown the rest of the way by helicopter to a hospital in Globe.

I have written a letter to Ruger to thank them for making such a quality firearm. One that saved my life. But I realize that it would have been no good at all if the ammunition had not done its job. That is why I am writing this letter. Those .44-40 rounds had been loaded on a Dillon XL 650 that I had purchased a few months ago. I can tell you now that there is NO SUBSTITUTE for QUALITY.

So, if on some dark and bloody night you ever smell the breath of the bear, you will know that you cannot go back and undo what is done. If your life ever hangs by a thread...nothing is better than the best, I can assure you!

From the bottom of my heart I truly thank you folks at Dillon - all of you - for making nothing but the BEST.

Rod Black - Marana, AZ

Article from The Blue Press November 2002 Issue #125.
post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-25-2004, 09:42 AM

Send a message via AIM to VSSF
Default Speak softly and carry a big pistol.

My .454 with 325gr. swift A-Frames.

post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-25-2004, 06:20 PM

Hey VSSF,

Would you consider that a HOT load?

Heck, you wouldn't have needed the headlights that the other poor guy waited for. If the bear was close enough you could have just set him on fire! :-D :-D

VH
post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-25-2004, 09:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to VSSF
Default Nah

It's not too hot pressure-wise,But it does burn things up.I have to put towels over my rest or else.
[img]http://www.msnusers.com/_Secure/0SQCz*8EUeu9W!lb6bZl7g6u7z18VraRYPGYEyyiJPi3l9Pov* 4sKB73Lpy2gas6R*y9FXJaYB8cyVhHJd3cGtabGp*61Nf4qHHh rno0M7DhNEvPPzLnLcg/Fireball%20030.jpg?dc=4675457108583713750[/img]
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-26-2004, 12:41 PM

The video is
"Jack Brittingham's Ultimate Hunting for Alaskan Big Game vol. II

it shows a guy stalk a brownie with a bow. When it notices his movement, it comes toward him. he put it down with a shot to the head with a 45 win mag in an LAR i think. A quick follow-up shot insures his saftey. Supposed to be one of the largest brown bears taken with a handgun. This was his backup gun, too.

Cheers,
Willis5
post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-26-2004, 01:03 PM

No, I have not killed a grizzly with a handgun. I think that the only thing a handgun would be good for is if a grizzly attacked you it would come in handy to shoot yourself with to put yourelf out of the misery of being the bears dinner.

Old Age and Treachery Will Alway's Overcome
Youth and Skill.
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-27-2004, 05:23 AM

I haven't yet, but it's my dream hunt. Prob'ly use my SW500 and/or Encore .444 or 454. Know of any good guides?

GOD IS GOOD ALL THE TIME

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page