Graybeard Outdoors

Graybeard Outdoors (https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php)
-   Handgun Hunting and General Discussion (https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/34-handgun-hunting-general-discussion.html)
-   -   Has anyone ever killed a grizzly bear with a handgun ? (https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/34-handgun-hunting-general-discussion/16877-has-anyone-ever-killed-grizzly-bear-handgun.html)

rocco 12-28-2003 07:23 AM

Has anyone ever killed a grizzly bear with a handgun ?

I always read how some people carry a handgun a 44 for a backup or to hunt with a 44 hunting for Grizzly bear .Has anyone killed a grizzly with a 44 on this board ?That seems like a mighty task .

Graycg 12-28-2003 10:13 AM

Has anyone ever killed a grizzly bear with

No,
But I stopped a rabid charging possum with a high standard .22 once!

regards,
graycg

Old Griz 12-28-2003 11:41 PM

I made a foul-mouth squirrel quit cussin' at me once. Ya know, a head shot with a .44 is a little bit different than a head shot with a .22. I mean, he's just as dead, but you can't use dental records to identify him any more.
:cb2:

LAREDOBOB 12-29-2003 10:19 AM

I beat one to death with a stick once. :-D :-D :-D

Black Jaque Janaviac 12-29-2003 12:40 PM

They've been killed with arrows.

They've been killed with muzzle loaders shooting 225 grain roundballs.

However, the people using those weapons had a larger incidence of the bear coming back to bite 'em. It didn't happen all the time, but fairly frequently.

I recall reading that the standard advice for the early beaver trappers, who were armed with flintlocks, was to wait until you could stick the muzzle in their mouths. Then light 'er off. That was the best way of assuring a central nervous system hit under dire circumstances.

Of course, I think much of the problem back then was, the charging grizzly already had the ball in it's chest and the trapper was unloaded. I guess they almost never passed up a shot on a grizzly.

The trappers also developed a reputation for partying and drinking like it was their last day on earth.

So, go ahead, hunt griz with a .44. And when you're in town, drink like there's no tomorrow, for indeed there may not be. :eek:

SBF 12-29-2003 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graycg
No,
But I stopped a rabid charging possum with a high standard .22 once!

regards,
graycg

:-D Dang! Now I have to clean the Pepsi off my keyboard. :)

Graycg 12-29-2003 06:30 PM

SBF,
I'm not kidding...even better, it was in broad daylight on a public street in the suburbs of Miami, 3 shots fired and no one even called the cops!

sorry about the keyboard!

graycg

PS...IF someone is gonna deliberately go Grizz hunting with a 44 pistol, I strongly recommend that you file off the front sight...this way when the bear shoves it up your butt, it won't hurt so much. ( I know the original question wasn't about hunting, just killing if needed)

dand 12-30-2003 03:53 AM

I believe yes

Seems like I read that a woman dusted a brown/griz with a 44 after taking a defensive handgun class from Joe Nava in Fairbanks AK. Anybody on here know Joe or how to locate him for verification?

I'm sure there are a few others. I recall a guy saving himself with a 357 too but he got chewed a bit in the process - that one made the papers. A long long time ago (30's or 40's?) a friend of my dad's dumped a brownie in SE AK with a 38 after his dog brought it back to camp - pure luck shot over the shoulder as he beat feet down the trail and found a tree to climb.

Black Jaque Janaviac 12-30-2003 09:49 AM

Deliberately pursuing them and carrying a .44 for defense are two different things.

I would certainly carry a .44 in Grizz country. Or, if I couldn't master the .44 I'd even carry something smaller.

I'd also want to make sure that I was in good physical condition.

The way a lot of old Mt. Men survived grizzly attacks was to put a fatal round into the bear, then use their feet and wits to buy time until it died.

I'd feel a whole lot more at ease climbing a tree, if I knew I just put a .44 slug into the bear's heart.

People think you have to carry the Hammer of Thor in order to defend yourself. But sometimes carrying just enough gun, and being fleet on your feet, and quick of mind works as well or better.

Old Griz 12-30-2003 11:49 AM

Any bear out there slower than I am is doomed to starvation. Couldn't catch a road kill!
:cb2: