357 magnum loads for deer experience please no opinions - Page 11 - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #101 of 104 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 03:06 PM

I have killed a lot of deer with the 357 mag out of a Ruger 77/357. All shots under 80 yards. All one shot and done. All through the boiler room taking out the lungs or heart or both. I have also killed them with a 44 mag and 445 SM. They all died, dead, really dead, I mean dead dead, with similar shot placement.

Frankly it has been my experience that a 357 mag used when actually "hunting" a deer, that means getting close using your stalking skills and actually hunting them, is very effective. Even good sized 250lb midwest bucks have fallen to a well placed 357 mag. The 357 is a superb HUNTING cartridge for deer.

Now I have some spots where I hunt I know that a 357 mag will not work well. That is when I am choosing to play sniper. Then I bring out the 30-06 or 35 Whelen. I have dropped deer at 300 yards. Not a job for the 357 mag, heck not even the 357 max. The 357 is not a SNIPER (long shot).

An excellent bullet is the Hornady 158 XTP out of a rifle up to 150 yards. If you get in close in thick brush the Hornady 180 XTP is very good too. Never had a deer jump and argue with me after shooting it with either bullet.

Remember shot placement is king even with a little ole 22lr or on the other side a 500 WhizBangMagnumBoomer. So shoot what you can handle comfortably. You are also better serveed honing your hunting skills to get close enough to take a high percentage shot.

Then worry about cartridge and the caliber. The 357 is designed to work at close ranges in a pistol, the rifle ups the game.

Oh and when I get home tonight I will dig through some of my reloads and post some proven 357 mag deer hunting rounds that works provided you do your part.

Cartridges for My Entertainment: 22lr, .223 Rem, 30-06, 380 ACP, 38 spcl, 357 mag/max, , 35 Remington, 35 Whelen, 358 Norma Mag, 10mm Auto, 45 ACP. Mmmmkay what project can I do next... oh, I can't right now I am going hunting!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 104 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Man View Post
And they tell me I have one less brick than a load 'cause I like taking deer with my .50 cal flintlock pistol and a patched roundball!
a 1/2" hole makes for a big drain no matter what speed it is traveling...

Go Donald Go!!
post #103 of 104 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 01:38 PM

Yup!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #104 of 104 (permalink) Old Today, 10:04 AM

Gun Cabinet

... an' if you can get a hollow point bullet to open up with a little more velocity the hole will be considerably larger.

Think twice, shoot once...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in