Rimfire Hunting Handgun - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Default Rimfire Hunting Handgun

What's your preferred rimfire handgun for small game hunting? I'm in the mood to add another 22lr handgun to the fold, but I don't want just another plinker. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-30-2017, 11:30 PM
Administrator

Gun Cabinet

If you are gonna scope it a semiauto like the Browning Buckmark or Ruger seems to be the way to go. If ya gonna use iron sights the longer the barrel the better. My favorites are a S&W 17 with 8-3/8" barrel and my Ruger Super Single Six with 9.5" barrel. I don't see much difference between my Buckmark and my Ruger MKIII with scope but the Browning has a better trigger.

Bill aka the Graybeard

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

JESUS is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 01:56 AM

I would think your CZ Kadet conversion adequate for the task, but if it's more about adding variety, then perhaps the S&W 617 or Ruger MKIV Hunter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 03:19 AM

I have a Ruger MK 2 w bull barrel 6 7/8 that has worked well for me. I put a Clark trigger in it and a stronger spring on the magazine release button. The newest - easier to clean Ruger semi might be an excellent candidate.

I've taken a number of grouse and a few rabbits, even a few red squirrels.
Note the 22 LR loses quite a bit of power in the short barrels so good hits on tougher animals is important. I lost a marmot once when I shot it with a 4 3/8 barrel 22 revolver. Had to be an upper body hit as that's all I could see. He dropped into his hole and we dying but I had nothing to reach it safely and was not going to put my hand down there.

NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Well I did hang onto a MKII678GT with some Clark parts in it, and a CZ Kadet conversion ... they are both a lot more accurate than I am. Just always looking for accurate handguns I haven't tried, and rimfire is just so much fun!
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 07:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to gene_225

I'd use a Colt Officers Model. I really like mine.
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 08:12 PM

Gun Cabinet

I love my S&W Victory!

Thanks, Dinny
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171021_230151_1514769162556.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	819.6 KB
ID:	195082  

I reload and shoot 348 Win, 358 Win, 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5 Grendel, 30-06 Springfield, 300 BLK, 44 Mag, 357 Maximum, 9mm, 45 ACP, 45 Colt, 225 Win and 35 Rem
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 10:24 PM
Dee

I've got a Browning buckmark with a Millett red dot. Near match trigger, reliable, and a tack driver.

"REPUBLIC OF TEXAS"!
To The Politician: if your not right with God, your not right for this country.
Phil Robertson, Duck Dynasty
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 01:59 AM

I got a fairly rare Ruger Mark II Target 678 tapered barrel that's a pretty slick shooter with the iron sights, and not too bad to carry.
Had the even more rare 10" model before which is super easy to shoot and borders on rifle-like performance.

These are good choices, but if I was adding something different I might look for a full size double action revolver.
Something like this Colt Trooper Mark III with a 8" barrel might be cool.

The blueing is worn a bit on this one. But it looks to have the target trigger and hammer.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/732775670

"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife that you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." Fred Bear

Handi 243 working on full Bubbaization. American Classic Model 1377 & Ruger Air Hawk. Zebco, Shimano, Garcia & Shakespeare. Heddon, Rapala, Buck & Leatherman.
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 02:19 AM

Depending on my mood and what exactly I’m hunting, I use a Contender with 10” barrel, a Ruger Single Six with 5.5” barrel, a Ruger Mk3 with a 5.5” heavy barrel, or a Ruger Mk3 22/45 with a 4.5” barrel. The Contender has a fixed 4x scope, and the rest use iron sights. The Contender is for squirrels, the Single Six and the 5.5” Mk3 for rabbit and whatever else I come across, and the 4.5” 22/45 I use mostly for hog hunting. Believe it or not, but while the short barrel reduces velocity, it also has the added benefit of reducing expansion, which in turn increases penetration. Pass throughs are common on hogs due to this.

And I may have a couple screws loose. But I like getting in close to a hog and taking it with a .22 pistol. It’s hunting instead of just shooting from long range. Usually inside of 20 yards, and my last few have been within 10 feet. I must be getting better at sneaking in close.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page