Five For Five - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Default Five For Five

After taking 4 different animals with 4 different guns back in August & September I had plans to take a Montana white tail with one of the same guns but using a different bullet. I really wanted to use a new 41 magnum 212 gr HP since I hadn't taken anything with this bullet. Last Monday me, my oldest son & his 2 youngest son's made the trip north where we bought doe tags over the counter for $75 each.
In all the years I've hunted Montana I've never been skunked but we ended up hunting on a ranch that had more rules than an IDPA match & we did get skunked. I was really disappointed with the way the ranch "manager was running the place since the owner had recently died.
Be there at noon, sign a whole bunch of papers, a bunch! Be back at 2:30 & get in a tree stand, no walking allowed, no shooting on the way in or on the way out. Stay in the tree stand until dark, no exceptions, no lead or jacketed bullets, solid copper only. No shooting of yearlings or button bucks. Make a one shot kill as much as possible, duh! I'm sure I'm forgetting something. Anyway, we saw ONE buck, no doe's & then had to go back & sign out in order to get out.
Yesterday I went back by myself & for sure I went to another place that my friend Alejandro knew about. I had my 41 magnum stoked with the powder coated 212 gr HP's & the place looked really good. As usual I also had my scoped 10.5" 357 Maximum in my Barranti NWH rig. The Maximum was loaded with a Miha 185 gr powder coated HP loaded on the toasty side, just the way Fermin likes them.
I can tell you right up front, the water in Montana is cold! We had to wade 2 different streams, twice, coming & going. That's not fun in November. Anyway the ranch was covered with pastures, big Cottonwood trees, brush, tall grass, etc. Ideal country for white tails. I got set up with my back to a big Cottonwood & watched a big 5X5 buck slip through the heavy brush with a smaller buck just behind him. Alejandro had spooked them & they were slipping away. It would have been a pretty easy shot.
He saw 5 more bucks but no doe's so we moved north 1/2 mile into some heavy brush & more Cottonwoods & spotted a large doe just about to walk into the timber we were in. We crouched down & I quickly set up my shooting rest. The doe caught our movement & I had to go for the 357 Maximum, she had went full alert. She bobbed her head up & down maybe 3 times trying to make out what we were, things were happening fast. I really wanted to use the 41 magnum but didn't think I had time to make the shot, it looked long.
I didn't know it at the time but Alejandro was videoing me as I broke the shot. The doe was facing us straight on, no time to range it until later. I held dead center & in the photo's you'll see that's exactly where it hit. The 185 HP knocked her flat, she got up for about 1 second & then back down. I ranged the big Cottonwood just in front of her later, it read 114 yds so she was about 117 yds give or take. I'll try & get the video posted tomorrow. Five animals with 5 shots with 5 different revolvers, nothing like hunting with six guns.

Dick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 05:11 AM

Good job and your buddy Fermin is good people.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 10:55 AM

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!

I like your style sixshot! I have been doing most of my deer hunting with a Blackhawk for years. I honestly don't think the deer care whether they are shot with a 44 mag or a 41 mag....they pretty much die the same if the shooter does his part.

I used to carry a scoped Encore in 375 Winchester for the same purpose that you carry your 357 Maximum...a little flatter shooting for those 100-150 yard gawkers.

Any deer killed with a handgun is a trophy and you have to be a handgun hunter to understand the satisfaction that comes with a handgun kill. I sure do...good job!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Lloyd, he is & I'm sure he would same the same about you! He's been a close friend for several years now, I just wish we lived closer.
As far as the 41 & the 44, I've taken a lot of game with both. Deer, elk, antelope, bear & I've never been able to tell the difference, I like both. Put a 250 gr bullet in both & no animal can live on the difference that I've ever seen.
If I were picking a favorite it would probably be a 44 but by the very slimmest of margins, maybe .019"!!!

Dick
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

The scope is a 2.5X8 Leupold & the rest is a Bog Pod with the discontinued PSR rest on top, they are amazing rests. If you look close you will notice a little flat, black bag on top, my wife makes those for me & I have several. I rest my hands on these & can raise or lower the cross hairs with great precision by squeezing the bag with the bottom of my left hand.
The photo's show the video of my deer, the video is zoomed in but there was a very narrow window to shoot through. She goes down hard, comes up for about one second & then back down for good. You will notice from the angle that although I hit her dead center she isn't standing square so the shot angles towards the right shoulder. I hit some bone going through the brisket, get one lung & the bullet lodges up against the third rib. The recovered bullet weighs 124 grs, I couldn't be more happy with how the HP worked.
My buddy shot his deer that after noon with a 280 Ackley with a broadside hit, she ran 60-70 yds before she went down, go figure. You can see the damage to the brisket on the right side & the shank is almost completely intact, including the gas check. It expanded from .380"-.406".

Dick
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 04:37 PM

Sixshot: that's good shootin' and she sure looks like she is going to be good eatin'. Nice going.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Bad Mike, haven't been back over here in a few days. It's been very good eating, I smoked a front shoulder a few days ago after marinading for 24 hours & it was amazing! Smoked it for 3 hours at about 175 degrees until it got to 135 degrees internal & then wrapped it in foil & let it rest for an hour & sliced it. Wow, you could cut it with a fork & the flavor was outstanding. These deer are born & die on these ranches & they eat good all year & are in great shape.

Dick
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 08:01 PM

Oh yeah! And it's fresh and you know where it came from. All the better.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 11:08 AM

Cool reading. Thanks for sharing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page