Graybeard Outdoors

Graybeard Outdoors (https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php)
-   Handgun Hunting and General Discussion (https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/34-handgun-hunting-general-discussion.html)
-   -   Why does my gun recoil worse than it used to? (https://www.go2gbo.com/forums/34-handgun-hunting-general-discussion/386638-why-does-my-gun-recoil-worse-than-used.html)

gpa&hisguns 11-28-2018 09:32 AM

Why does my gun recoil worse than it used to?

All of my hair and chin whiskers have turned grey. I can't bench press 300 lbs anymore. One load of firewood per day is enough when I used to cut 4 or 5. Most importantly my 44 Bisley with hot loads bites my paw worse than it used to. I shot 100 rounds of hot loads last night and my middle finger took a beating from the trigger guard. I don't remember that being a problem in the past. I guess maybe my handshake isn't as firm as it used to be either. It's all good though.....I put the last cylinder full on a pie plate at 100 yards! I'll just have to remember to wrap some 88T tape around that middle finger before the next range session!:tango_face_grin:

I have a date in the deer woods on Saturday and I still haven't lost that desire so all is good with this old man!

Bad Mike 11-28-2018 07:05 PM

ok.

45/70fan 11-28-2018 07:20 PM

I'm starting to get there with you. I used to seek out bigger and bigger guns. The more bark and recoil the better. The hair is graying, the belly is growing, and the big guns are going away.

Tom W. 11-28-2018 08:57 PM

I'm losing weight, down to 204.4, but a long time ago I found that a SRH recoil is easier on my old body than any SA.

pastorp 11-30-2018 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpa&hisguns (Post 2055804290)
All of my hair and chin whiskers have turned grey. I can't bench press 300 lbs anymore. One load of firewood per day is enough when I used to cut 4 or 5. Most importantly my 44 Bisley with hot loads bites my paw worse than it used to. I shot 100 rounds of hot loads last night and my middle finger took a beating from the trigger guard. I don't remember that being a problem in the past. I guess maybe my handshake isn't as firm as it used to be either. It's all good though.....I put the last cylinder full on a pie plate at 100 yards! I'll just have to remember to wrap some 88T tape around that middle finger before the next range session!:tango_face_grin:

I have a date in the deer woods on Saturday and I still haven't lost that desire so all is good with this old man!

Just part of the ageing problem. All my big guns went down the road a few years ago. Hands hurt a lot what with arthritis and neurathopy going on. I still shoot just smaller calibers.

rosewood 11-30-2018 06:56 AM

You are not as flexible as you used to be. The joints, tendons, muscles are stiffer and the recoil isn't absorbed like it was as a young whipper snapper. Same goes for example when you jump off a truck bed. When you was younger, it didn't hurt a bit, now it is likely if you jump off the tailgate, it hurts from the impact.

Rosewood

Hopalong7 11-30-2018 09:20 AM

Welcome to the Golden Years Club, my brothers, it's just part of life I guess. Since my hands have become old and shaky, and very arthritic, all my handguns recoil more. I've even gotten rid of a couple of the "boomers" and reduced a few loads here and there. I've even had a nightmare or two where my handgun hunting was coming to a close...BUT, I ain't give up! As a matter of fact, just last evening these old hands held my .41 Bisley Hunter in just the right direction and squeezed off a round that dropped a nice doe in a heap. Yes, this 'ol man AIN'T giving up just yet!
Walt

gene_225 11-30-2018 11:44 AM

Although I resemble the rest of you, I just got a Blackhawk in .45 LC/ACP. I think it will be ok, but if not, I'll load with Trailboss.

gpa&hisguns 11-30-2018 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hopalong7 (Post 2055805094)
Welcome to the Golden Years Club, my brothers, it's just part of life I guess. Since my hands have become old and shaky, and very arthritic, all my handguns recoil more. I've even gotten rid of a couple of the "boomers" and reduced a few loads here and there. I've even had a nightmare or two where my handgun hunting was coming to a close...BUT, I ain't give up! As a matter of fact, just last evening these old hands held my .41 Bisley Hunter in just the right direction and squeezed off a round that dropped a nice doe in a heap. Yes, this 'ol man AIN'T giving up just yet!
Walt

Atta boy! We have to keep on keeping on as long as we can! Besides hunting and drowning worms I haven't got a lot of fun stuff left that I can do.

Bad Mike 11-30-2018 06:44 PM

Aw crikey, ya'll aren't ever gonna be as young as you are now so just go with the flow and enjoy the ride; and any of you who are retired and the (supposed) masters of your/our time might enjoy some new shooting hobbies. I still enjoy shooting my 4" Mountain Gun, just not with full house loads all the time. It's a lot of fun with mild loads on reactive targets, which is how I recycle cans.

Hopalong7: if I could do that I wouldn't even consider thinking about giving it up.

gpa: you are older than dirt, you said so in another post, so how come you don't know that Rugers are famous for bashing your middle finger knuckle? Remember that turnip truck you mentioned? Ok... So how did your Saturday date in the deer woods go? The weather here for us was miserable and we didn't see a thing, except squirrels and Blue Jays. Hope yours was better.....