32 calibers for small game - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Default 32 calibers for small game

Anyone here hunt small game with 32 caliber revolvers or semi-autos? I have a older 7.65 mm Luger with a 6" barrel that still kicks cans at 100 yds, if i can see them that is. And my 4" Walther P-38 also in 7.65 mm Luger that is nickle and dime spot on at 50 yds. One of the 'fun-ist' though of all is my old Tokarev in 7.62 x 25 mm (would love to see that with a adjustable rear sight and a fatter front blade). All have taken small game up to coyotes out to about 50 yds and the long barreled Luger took a small buck years ago.

My old Spanish made copy of a S&W in 32-20 is a ball to shoot with cowboy loads and they work just fine on garden critters. I am tempted to try some buckshot loads though just to see how they shoot.

I'm certain many have used the 32 H&R as well as the newer 327. Are they as much fun as mine are?? Just askin'...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 05:17 PM

My Ruger 32-20/32 H&R MAG Buckeye Blackhawk is a hoot for a range/play toy. It is too darn heavy for a carry around/hunting gun, but I waste a lot of home cast bullets with it beating on steel plates. My small game 32 is a 32 S&W long stubbed contender carbine barrel with a .308 bore 20 inch barrel off a rem 700 in 30-06 for a donor barrel....it's my "cheating" pistol. The extra barrel length makes it pertnear silent with powder puff loads though. That Tender Carbine is my rabbit and squirrel popper. Kills quicker than a 22LR and is much quieter when kept sub sonic, and best of all I can load my home cast pills in it cheaper than a 22 shell. Someday I will have a 10 inch 32Long contender pistol barrel to match the longer barrel. My 30 Badger 10 incher serves that role pretty good until then however.

FWIW ... I have never met a small 30/32 caliber gun that was not fun. The .311 roundball loads are a hoot and are quiet as all get out (small bearing surface), but they are only good for about 35-40 yards before they get a bit too inaccurate for poking the eye out of a rabbit or squirrel.

SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED *****Not available in all areas.***** Void where prohibited by law. *****Many many many restrictions apply.*****
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 09:47 PM

I've never hunted with a handgun for anything. But I have a mod 16 S&W in 32 long that would probably make a dandy small game gun. All I shoot in it are cast bullet's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 06:26 AM

ive got a single six 32 right now and have had a number of other 32 rifles and handguns. Ive shot quite a few rabbits birds ect with them and even a couple deer with my 3220 rifle back when I was a teenager. Don't shoot them much anymore. Ive thought a number of times about selling the single six but I pull it out to look at it and just put it back. Maybe one day ill have time to play with it again.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! STEEL FOR TANKS NOT FENCES!!!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 07:29 AM

Location: 3 miles NW of Brownells retail store and they keep me broke!

I used to carry a Tokarev in my truck while coyote hunting. It was the flattest shooting short gun that I ever owned. I did kill a couple of coyotes with it and a few jack rabbits.

Man those were the good ole days...buy a Tokarev and 1200 rounds of corrosive ammo for a couple hundred bucks or just a bit more. Some of that ammo was really corrosive but a big can of brake cleaner goes a long ways!

I carried it when hunting cottontails with my Beagle too. That beagle had a knack for picking fights that it could not win....big coon, badgers and a big feral cat or two. The Tok bailed that hound out more than once.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

LOL Gpa. None of my dogs ever got into trouble but my Tok got me OUT of trouble more than once with a few rabid coons and (possibly) a rabid coyote. I don't use it for anti-aircraft fire any more but I once 'feathered' a Turkey Vulture with it and was pretty impressed with the way that fmj slug worked on something other than commies.
I believe we need a casting for those 30/32s that would be similar in profile to a Keith style semi-wad cutter. I know it would work well in the revolvers and have no doubt those bottle-necked semi-auto rounds would/could use it just as well. In lieu of that development, Veral Smith once told me to reverse the jacketed slugs I load so that I'm shooting the bullet out backwards if I wanted a wad cutter effect. I sure works well on one gallon water jugs but doesn't fly too well past 50 yds or so.
BTW - I firmly believe Sellier and Bellot make the finest Tokarev ammo available. It is up to mil-spec velocities with reloadable brass. And I think that Ron Reed, of Reeds Ammo, makes custom 7.62 Tok and 7.65mm Luger ammo. Whenever I decide to pack the Tok it is loaded with the Sellier and Bellot ammo. Fiocchi makes excellent, up to spec 7.65 mm / 30 Luger ammo that is also reloadable.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 09:28 AM

I just went to gunbroker to see what kind of money the "Rooskie" Tokarevs were bringing. it scared me to death. I should have bought a hundred of them while the getting was good. The 1260 round ham cans are few and far between but can be bought for a mere $500.

Same goes for the good threaded barrel SKS. They are real proud of them and the 7.62x39 ammo.

I should have bought one less Harley Davidson way back when and a whole lot of Toks, SKS's and the ammo they both shoot.

I don't know about you but I would feel just as well armed in a SHTF situation with a good Tok, a SKS and a bunch of ammo! That feeling comes from years of stories told by my Vietnam Vet buddies. They respected both!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 09:43 AM

Gun Cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa&hisguns View Post
those were the good ole days...buy a Tokarev and 1200 rounds of corrosive ammo for a couple hundred bucks
I got my Chinie Tok the old fashioned way; I took it off a North Vietnamese officer!

You guys got me fired up on Toks though. I think I'll take Mike's suggestion and get some Sellier and Bellot ammo and run it through my weapon. As I remember all I have for it is some 30 Mauser...

Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute. Currently a Gentleman of Leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atllaw View Post
I got my Chinie Tok the old fashioned way; I took it off a North Vietnamese officer!

You guys got me fired up on Toks though. I think I'll take Mike's suggestion and get some Sellier and Bellot ammo and run it through my weapon. As I remember all I have for it is some 30 Mauser...
I'm right proud of ya for getting your Tok the old fashioned way. There hain't no man that I respect more than a Nam vet.

You do need to be shooting it!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 12:44 AM

I would think long and hard about giving up my SP-101 chambered in 327 fed.

Itís more useful for potting rabbits than the .41 Blackhawk for sure. Iím not sure about using it for deer, under ideal circumstances, maybe. The 327 is too much more for bunnies and such, thatís what the S&W or H&R are for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page