Graybeard Outdoors banner

22lr win xpert hp filled with Silicone verses 2 water jugs expansion test

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Bad Mike 
#1 ·

nice results surprised it didnt go threw the bottle and 2 jugs

#3 ·
I remember back in the late 1970's a guy who used to load the Speer "Flying Ash Trays" in his .45 acp. He would dribble several grains of BP into the hollowpoint, then press in a primer. Loaded it as his first round in his 1911. I never seen any evidence it really worked, and he didn't, to my knowledge, blow up his gun, so no harm no foul, I guess. These days, I am sure a home made explosive bullet would land you in very hot water if you got caught with them, let alone used one on someone. The silicone in those .22 HP's seems to act like a poly tip, increasing expansion?

Larry

#5 ·
I have loaded steel BBs into hollow points, deepened the hollow point to contain a few grains of powder, stuffed a primer on top of it all and shot it from a bottlenecked pistol cartridge at truck tire rims out to 50 yds. The primers detonated and created a flash/bang but no real damage to the rim. However, just with steel BBs the effect was much more noticeable and created a SABOT effect which happened when the jacketed hollow point impacted and stopped on the steel truck rim but the steel BB penetrated through. Tres kewl as they say.

As for filling the hollow point with silicone - you can play around all you want and waste your time and money but I doubt the improvements (if any in performance) are worth while and the good Lord forbid ifin yew ever use something like that for personal defense outside the home. I think that's just asking for trouble.

Also, that 22 you shot looks to have a 3.5 to 4" barrel, which means that any 22 lr high speed might clock all of 900-950'/sec, not the fabled 1250-1400'/sec claimed from a rifle barrel, and with that in mind I wouldn't bother with hollow points but would stick with round nose for the penetrability. And of all the 22 lr brands and varieties out there I believe the CCI to be the most reliable to detonate, the most consistent in felt recoil and (chronographed) velocity, and the Small Game Bullet, a flat point would seem to deliver the most 'ouch' on impact. Shooting this load from any number of 22 lr pistols, pocket and target, has changed my mind about what to carry and shoot in my 22s.

If you want to see something interesting and fun to watch, Google 22 lr versus 25 acp and check out the results. Have fun.......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.