post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 10:02 PM

Default Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD)

Can they be forzen to death ?

keep your powder dry !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 11:04 PM

Dusty you are right... and no, they cannot be frozen, at least at reasonable temps.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 08:18 AM

No apparent problems with either CWD or Mad Cow in New York this season. Mikey.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 10:48 PM

I had no idea CWD or other piron related infections exsisted. Makes me wonder if the piron can change over time like we see with a virus ? I looked at a few web sites but the information was more of a basic faq nature.

keep your powder dry !!!
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 03:17 PM

Look up "mad cow disease" or "krutchfeld-jacobs".

When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away!
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 03:40 PM

If you are worried that you have taken a chronically wasted whitetail you can always have it tested. As for cleaning your knives and other butchering tools you can use a strong bleach. Still no chronic wasting disease here in chronically wasted new york..
As for the Prion business - you can get those in Squirrel brains. Some fellow down south cooked up a meal of squirrel brains and died from something related to the Prions in the squirrel brains, so they think.
So far, no humans have become chronically wasted from coming into contact with Whitetail or Elk so the research says if you look it up in the Greybeard search thingy up at the top of the page.
So, you can stew all you want or you can make stew all you want. I think if you are going to suffer from being in contact with a critter that is suffering from chronic wasting disease you probably will if you ever do - come into contact with them that is, but you may not catch anything contagious. These research 'findings' seem to suggest that we will all suffer from this worse than the last plague but I don't know of any who have died of this disease. Of course, someone with multiple medical issues might possibly pick something up but will it kill he or she any faster than what they already suffer from?
When you think of all the other deadly dangerous gonna killya right then and there diseases humans are supposed to have suffered from over the last two centuries it is a miracle we are even still standing as a distinct species. I'm no fan of a lot of 'focused' research but yet there is no proof that people have died from this. Just sayin'
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 06:20 PM

When I worked in the meat industry. We used a mild bleach solution to wash and then a iodine based solution called utter back for a final rinsing station. Out cutting rooms all were equipped with 3 sinks to do this. Of course that was 40 years ago and so Im sure a lot of things have changed.

When I started working there they still had sawdust floor and wood blocks. The bandsaw was only cleaned once a week. Shelf life was not very long on the product.

Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 08:18 AM

CWD has gotten bad here in MO. Me & the Missus (and hunting partner for the last 28 years) sat down and discussed this and we are done deer hunting until they get it eradicated. We've killed plenty of deer; last count I'd taken 11 with a handgun alone. But if we've got to wonder about an animal or have it tested, we simply aren't bothering with it.

We'll pheasant hunt and shoot coyotes instead.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SargeMO View Post
CWD has gotten bad here in MO. Me & the Missus (and hunting partner for the last 28 years) sat down and discussed this and we are done deer hunting until they get it eradicated. We've killed plenty of deer; last count I'd taken 11 with a handgun alone. But if we've got to wonder about an animal or have it tested, we simply aren't bothering with it.

We'll pheasant hunt and shoot coyotes instead.

Part of the issue with CWD is it's a disease that really manifests itself when population densities are high, thus in most states where it has been diagnosed, reducing herd numbers seems to be the only feasible way to control it. Odds are there is never going to be a "cure" for it in wild animals, thus it will never be eradicated, only controlled. Hunting by private citizens is the easiest and cheapest method to control wild deer numbers and license fees help pay for the continuation of studying the disease. Thus quitting hunting and not buying licenses will only increase the chances of incidence. Tests are free here in Wisconsin, but take awhile. Seems that a quick and easy DIY test would be a significant improvement. Proper disposal of carcasses that test positive is also a must. It's been proven that bleach, freezing and heat available to most of us, does not "kill" or neutralize the Prions. They can also live indefinitely in the soil once contaminated. While CWD is something to be concerned about, the overall economic impact, and the chances of the increase increase of the disease from not hunting and reducing herd numbers, could mean disaster to folks other than deer hunters too..

"where'd you get the gun....son?"
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck460XVR View Post
Part of the issue with CWD is it's a disease that really manifests itself when population densities are high, thus in most states where it has been diagnosed, reducing herd numbers seems to be the only feasible way to control it. Odds are there is never going to be a "cure" for it in wild animals, thus it will never be eradicated, only controlled. Hunting by private citizens is the easiest and cheapest method to control wild deer numbers and license fees help pay for the continuation of studying the disease. Thus quitting hunting and not buying licenses will only increase the chances of incidence. Tests are free here in Wisconsin, but take awhile. Seems that a quick and easy DIY test would be a significant improvement. Proper disposal of carcasses that test positive is also a must. It's been proven that bleach, freezing and heat available to most of us, does not "kill" or neutralize the Prions. They can also live indefinitely in the soil once contaminated. While CWD is something to be concerned about, the overall economic impact, and the chances of the increase increase of the disease from not hunting and reducing herd numbers, could mean disaster to folks other than deer hunters too..
None of that changes my mind.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page