Rock Island Tactical - Graybeard Outdoors

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Default Rock Island Tactical

I picked up a Rock Island Tactical in 9mm, came with Megar 10 round magazine and instructions to do a 300 round break in. Changed the grips and after a tear down and cleaning, went to the indoor range. I shot 50 rounds of Federal 115 grain with no problems. Shot mixed magazines of reloaded 124 grain coated bullets and Federal 147 grain Hydro shocks. Again no problems, will get to the range again Sunday to finish the break in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WIN_20170812_08_28_11_Pro.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	176449  

NRA Life Member, Retired Air Force, Grandfather
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 05:07 PM

I always liked to fire them dry at first, them grease the shiny spots from then on.

Looks great! congratulations

Come quickly, Lord Jesus
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 09:44 PM

Thumbs up

The early production RIA 1911A1s were pretty ill fitted but after not too long they got their act together and have since made a well fitted piece. Let us know how it shoots when you get it wrung out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

The indoor range I shoot at has two Rock Islands as rentals, before buying mine I asked them about the reliability of their range guns. They said they had 100% reliability because of their loose specs. My Tac has no play in the slide to frame rails, none. I don't know if it will stay like that but that is how it is now. I fired 270 rounds of factory round ball 115 grain, 124 grain reloads and 10 rounds of 147 grain Hydra Shocks with no problems. Accuracy was dead on at 7 and 10 yards my bifocals are not clear enough past that indoors due to the lighting. The outdoor area we used to shoot at was shut down to shooters. I can't blame them as we have lost five different places to shoot because idiots drag out TVs, computers and everything else to shoot up and leave behind them when they are done.

NRA Life Member, Retired Air Force, Grandfather

Last edited by Rawhidekid; 08-15-2017 at 09:21 PM. Reason: left a word out
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 12:22 AM

I have a 45,10mm and 9mm (STI but made for them by RIA)
I have shot the 45 for 6 or 7 years and it is still as tight as when I bought it new and it is quite accurate . Only mods I did was to install a NM barrel bushing I had in my parts drawer and a Clark 4 finger trigger spring. It has a light trigger and will routinely group 5.7/231/200CSW into 2" at 25 yards off hand firing. It out shot a 2000.00 custom a friend has . The 10 MM Tac II is very accurate as is the 9MM with Remington 115 grain loads. Very good guns for the money. We sold them at the gun show circuit for 5 years and never had an unhappy customer that bought one.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 10:27 AM

I had one in .45 ACP, and when I got it and shot it for awhile I sold my Kimber. Great pistol, you will be happy.

Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Stacy View Post
It has a light trigger and will routinely group 5.7/231/200CSW into 2" at 25 yards off hand firing. It out shot a 2000.00 custom a friend has .
One needs to be just a tad more accurate Jim in characterization - I my opinion, you should have said, you outshot your friend using your decent pistol against his "custom" pistol. Your friend's pistol was probably just as accurate, if not more so, than your pistol but you were the better shooter. Shooting off-hand at 25 yards and consistently grouping 2 inches or less is some fine shooting and if you aren't, you should be shooting competition.

I have a couple Les Baer PII's with the 1.5 inch option - meaning the pistol will keep most factory match ammunition within a 1.5 inch group for 10-rounds at 50 yards. I know of no human who can consistently do that, so when I get beat on the line - it's not the other person's 1911 that is beating me - it's the person shooting his 1911.

One of my Baer's has a milled slide with a Leupold Delta Point and a 2# trigger - mighty fine set-up but at my age I still find I can throw a round or two out of the black at 25 yards - and at 50 yards - well, I can hit the X occasionally. Now off the bench - I can show people what a semi-custom pistol is all about.

Do not fear the Enemy, for your Enemy can only take your Life. It is far better to keep the Media at bay, for they will Steal Your Honor.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 05:04 PM

The 45 of my friend was done by 10 ring precision in SA. The guns were shot by both of us and several loads tested. The RIA is probably a fluke but I will shoot better than my gold cup with any loads I have tried in them. At one time I was a good shot , shot silhouette and won my class on local and state level, now I am getting old and arthritic and can't shoot those good groups some of the time but not all of the time. When I retired, I shoot weekly with slow and deliberate accuracy first goals, in 2010 my goal was to shoot 1.5" groups at 25 yards before I quit for the day. I was shooting Ruger MK II's with worked over triggers and thumb rest grips with two hands. I can still do that 1.5" group occasionally but not routinely. I am on chemotherapy and it has affected my shooting some as well as , just getting to be 72 has not helped ! My 10 MM RIA Tac II is also quite accurate but none of the guns are the precision gun that my Clark 45 , made by Jim Clark senior, was. Gun I wish I had back. I can still shoot well enough to impress friends but not to compete anymore because the consistency is gone. However I can't think of a better time than a day at the range with an accurate pistol !!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Graybeard Outdoors forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page